BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #45
Berra
Private
Rep
Drives: at warp speed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
OK, don't we have hood latches for additional security?

With your plans in perspective, you might be right to make this sure first since there are no OEM related solutions that I am aware of.

This car is not designed/intended as a (very) high speed weapon on straights, that's for sure, just sayin.
Yeah I suppose but BMW should know what the car is capable of, it will push some serious speeds even in stock form and that people will actually reach high speeds even on a track. I´ll come up with something!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #46
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

yeah.. you should stay away...

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 04-15-2014 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #47
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
As there are no accounts of 1-Series hoods flying open, I think this is an entirely bogus issue.

I'd be far more concerned about a tire blow-out or some other driver doing something stupid causing an incident.

However, if you're really concerned, it's very simple to install hood pins.

Neil

this is a complete non issue. I don't see the hood coming up and defeating the hood latch mechanism. Keep in mind follks... it's a two part system for a REASON. The secondary catch is a required safety feature that prevents an improperly-closed hood from flying up against the windshield once a car gets underway and the rush of air builds to a point where it can lift steel (or aluminum as the case may be.)

As a matter of fact... in a 2000 and up vehicle...I would bet you could pull the hood latch such that the hood is not locked, and the hood latch mechanism will still hold. I have seen cabbies drive cabs around in Big cities like New York every day with the hood popped for " additional cooling"... Sure they aren't driving speeds over 100 mph.. but they are hitting bumps, dips, dives etc..

I work as a claim adjuster auto in insurance claims. While I have seen claims reported where the hood " suddenly flew up".... I have not seen a hood fly up in 15 years of doing that didnt involve finding out that there were DAMAGED hood latch components (as in Damaged from a previous ACCIDENT.. not even wear or age..)... I have absolute faith that the hood safety latch mechanism will keep the hood from flying up completely WHEN A HOOD IS UNLATCHED.... let alone when it's actually fully latched. Disclaimer: I wouldnt drive 100 mph with it unlatched and banging off the safety catch of course...

Bottom line is.. a slight hood lift doesnt mean we have gone back to 1976.... Sheesh! but for those of you that don't think there has been any innovation in this regard.....

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/3-series-...ood-latch.html

perhaps we need to start handing out Darwin Awards for people on this forum...

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 04-15-2014 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #48
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C - BMW X1

Quote:
I'm not aware of a single failure of a properly latched hood.
No hood latch fail incidents with an E82 1er as far as I know.

Z4 with an issue:

Name:  Hood_Latch_Fail.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  97.1 KB
      04-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #49
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
No hood latch fail incidents with an E82 1er as far as I know.

Z4 with an issue:

Attachment 1011551
kinda useless without a story to go along with it isnt it?

Perhaps the driver left the hood FULLY unlatched and it wasnt even on the safety catch. Heck... racers with hood pins have hood flyup incidents happen too.

bottom line... it usually turns out there was HUMAN ERROR involved, not a fully functioning properly latched, undamaged hood and latch with safety catch.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #50
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Probably a better design that would make everyone happy
Attached Images

BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #51
Berra
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
this is a complete non issue. I don't see the hood coming up and defeating the hood latch mechanism. Keep in mind follks... it's a two part system for a REASON. The secondary catch is a required safety feature that prevents an improperly-closed hood from flying up against the windshield once a car gets underway and the rush of air builds to a point where it can lift steel (or aluminum as the case may be.)

As a matter of fact... in a 2000 and up vehicle...I would bet you could pull the hood latch such that the hood is not locked, and the hood latch mechanism will still hold. I have seen cabbies drive cabs around in Big cities like New York every day with the hood popped for " additional cooling"... Sure they aren't driving speeds over 100 mph.. but they are hitting bumps, dips, dives etc..

I work as a claim adjuster auto in insurance claims. While I have seen claims reported where the hood " suddenly flew up".... I have not seen a hood fly up in 15 years of doing that didnt involve finding out that there were DAMAGED hood latch components (as in Damaged from a previous ACCIDENT.. not even wear or age..)... I have absolute faith that the hood safety latch mechanism will keep the hood from flying up completely WHEN A HOOD IS UNLATCHED.... let alone when it's actually fully latched. Disclaimer: I wouldnt drive 100 mph with it unlatched and banging off the safety catch of course...

Bottom line is.. a slight hood lift doesnt mean we have gone back to 1976.... Sheesh! but for those of you that don't think there has been any innovation in this regard.....

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/3-series-...ood-latch.html

perhaps we need to start handing out Darwin Awards for people on this forum...
It clearly is a design flaw but I'll get around it someway! As far as it not beeing an issue, lets just agree to disagree!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #52
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berra View Post
It clearly is a design flaw but I'll get around it someway! As far as it not beeing an issue, lets just agree to disagree!
If it's a design flaw, it seems that it is common with other manufacturers:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28335

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...ly-off.815201/

http://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generatio...speed-1048622/

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion...-at-high-speed

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=62299

http://www.fnsweet.com/forums/forum/...d-lift-flutter

Alert the Media, petition the NHTSA, call Ralph Nader!!

This threat should not go unaddressed!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #53
Berra
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for asking about this issue, didnt know it would piss people off to the point that it would make them rude. LoL!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #54
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for asking about this issue, didnt know it would piss people off to the point that it would make them rude. LoL!
hey.. would you look at this.... turns out there's something called a FEDERAL government in the US... that mandates safety...

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/

I wonder if they levy fines against manufacturers that don't adhere to their laws? Things that make you go Hmmm...

Asking a question is one thing. Yelling FIRE in a crowded theather is another.

Agreeing to disagree is certainly fine... when there is an actual disagreement!
There is no data to support this is a safety issue... it has been clearly explained why this is NOT a safety issue.. and yet
you continue to call the issue of hood lift *AT EXCESSIVE SPEED* a " design flaw" and have made comments about " hood problems that can kill" etc.

I have investigated many claims and reports of actual hood fly-up situations.. In those situations I talked to the vehicle owners, body shops, estimators, and of course I also researched the vehicle history. I will say it again... this is NOT an issue that occurs commonly.. and when it does occur... it is usually an issue of a vehicle with PREVIOUS COLLISION DAMAGE that is POORLY REPAIRED. Ask any body shop owner what the likelihood of a hood flying up when the hood is latched. Ask them how well it can fly up if on the safety catch. If you had actually done this a number of times and listened to the responses.... you would likely have a better understanding of where I am coming from. You are more likely to contract POLIO than you are likely to have a hood fly up while driving a car manufactured after 1990..

How about we AGREE to this..? Until you see ACTUAL issues of ACTUAL hood redeployment on a 1 series..... .. perhaps we should consider the issue of hood lift a phenomenon or known occurrence.. but not a " design flaw that is so scary that one shouldnt purchase the car or should fear for their lives if traveling behind it ".

Or... how about you hop a ride in my car or mdorphns car and we'll take you for a ride and you can experience the hood lift in all it's glory for yourself. I personally have never noticed the hood lift.. if it's occuriing it sure isnt affecting the car as i drive.. ... and my car has been 150 plus more than a few times.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 04-15-2014 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #55
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
It clearly is a design flaw but I'll get around it someway! As far as it not being an issue, lets just agree to disagree!
Well, a way to get around it is ...uh... not driving the car. Then you're definitely 100% sure that it will not happen to you.
      04-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #56
Berra
Private
Rep

Quote:
hey.. would you look at this.... turns out there's something called a FEDERAL government in the US... that mandates safety...

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/

I wonder if they levy fines against manufacturers that don't adhere to their laws? Things that make you go Hmmm...

Asking a question is one thing. Yelling FIRE in a crowded theather is another.

Agreeing to disagree is certainly fine... when there is an actual disagreement!
There is no data to support this is a safety issue... it has been clearly explained why this is NOT a safety issue.. and yet
you continue to call the issue of hood lift *AT EXCESSIVE SPEED* a " design flaw" and have made comments about " hood problems that can kill" etc.

I have investigated many claims and reports of actual hood fly-up situations.. In those situations I talked to the vehicle owners, body shops, estimators, and of course I also researched the vehicle history. I will say it again... this is NOT an issue that occurs commonly.. and when it does occur... it is usually an issue of a vehicle with PREVIOUS COLLISION DAMAGE that is POORLY REPAIRED. Ask any body shop owner what the likelihood of a hood flying up when the hood is latched. Ask them how well it can fly up if on the safety catch. If you had actually done this a number of times and listened to the responses.... you would likely have a better understanding of where I am coming from. You are more likely to contract POLIO than you are likely to have a hood fly up while driving a car manufactured after 1990..

How about we AGREE to this..? Until you see ACTUAL issues of ACTUAL hood redeployment on a 1 series..... .. perhaps we should consider the issue of hood lift a phenomenon or known occurrence.. but not a " design flaw that is so scary that one shouldnt purchase the car or should fear for their lives if traveling behind it ".

Or... how about you hop a ride in my car or mdorphns car and we'll take you for a ride and you can experience the hood lift in all it's glory for yourself. I personally have never noticed the hood lift.. if it's occuriing it sure isnt affecting the car as i drive.. ... and my car has been 150 plus more than a few times.
Calm your tits dude, your attitude doesn´t scare anyone, your attitude is more lame then anything else. I wrote that this can kill you, so what? If it´s my opinion/view on this matter so be it, and if you despite everything else notice that I continue to think so, just leave it at that or even better...why don´t you just relax and explain without transforming into a silverback?

Ok, I said that it´s a flaw, so? I´m sorry for beeing critical, don´t remember beeing in M5´s and other high end cars where the hood is all over the place at high speeds. This is the first time I see this, so SORRY once again for asking and stating that it´s a "FLAW"!

Some of you state that you´ve never seen accidents caused by the hood on the 1M, so...let me put it this way. BMW made over 6000 1M´s according to some sites, how many of them are actually members of this or any other forum, world wide? Im not saying that there have been accidents because I don´t know but what if? What about all the other billions and billions of cars World wide?

Why is this such a sensitive topic for some of you? What kind of logic is it to think that just because it doesnt happen to you, it sure as hell doesnt happen to anyone else?

It seems like this isn´t the right forum to ask questions or criticize BMW for that matter, despite actually owning them. Lesson learned!

Im going to drive one in about two weeks, time to see this hood thing front row and hopefully make up my mind about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #57
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Berra -

The hood, including the latch mechanism, on the 1M is identical to every other 1-Series BMW.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #58
Berra
Private
Rep

Quote:
Berra -

The hood, including the latch mechanism, on the 1M is identical to every other 1-Series BMW.

Neil
That I didn´t know and was actually wondering about it. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 05:43 AM   #59
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Some of you state that you´ve never seen accidents caused by the hood on the 1M, so...let me put it this way. BMW made over 6000 1M´s according to some sites, how many of them are actually members of this or any other forum, world wide? Im not saying that there have been accidents because I don´t know but what if? What about all the other billions and billions of cars World wide?
Quote:
Quote:
That I didn´t know and was actually wondering about it. Thank you!
@Berra, above (post #49) I already commented that there were no hood latch fail incidents with an E82 1er as far as I know.
      04-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #60
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
@Berra, above (post #49) I already commented that there were no hood latch fail incidents with an E82 1er as far as I know.

lack of knowledge is a serious affliction. And it appears that Berra is very ill indeed.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #61
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
BMW made over 6000 1M´s according to some sites
Just for the record: back in 2012 BMW M officially confirmed via its website that 6309 1M cars were built:
http://www.m-power.com/_open/b/edito...lang=en&x=2869

04-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #62
Berra
Private
Rep

Quote:
lack of knowledge is a serious affliction. And it appears that Berra is very ill indeed.
Ill are the ones that feel it´s necessarily to make it personal and you obviously have issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #63
Berra
Private
Rep

Quote:
Just for the record: back in 2012 BMW M officially confirmed via its website that 6309 1M cars were built:
http://www.m-power.com/_open/b/edito...lang=en&x=2869

Damn, 6000 cars too many
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #64
scotth944
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 86' 944, 12' Gulf R

So when is someone going to post prof of actual manufacturing defect and failure vs all the speculating on temporary cosmetic conditions being observed and factually incomplete assumptions?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #65
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Hood lift isn't a flaw, its a built in 'cold-air induction' system. Seriously!
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 07:17 AM   #66
octainejunkee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 f80 Comp, MPE, stage 1

Quote:
I´ve seen what hood failures can do, so with all due respect...for me personally, this is a very big deal.

It only happens once, and that one time will be enough for the car to possibly, end your life. I´m also bummed about this:

Jamie, do you mean that the parts have been moved out of line/place? For real?
The front of my car had ott panel gaps which i asked BMW to Fix. however they plugged in the ecu to find that the car had been travelling in excess of the 155mph it was limited too (used to have the limiter kick in at an indicated 167mph).
Once they found this out they, said this was the reason for the panel gaps around the headlights and fenders etc...
I had my bodyshop take the fenders off etc and re allign which has made a difference.
Im not of the opinion that the hood will pop up at speed but the front end is not aerodynamic and the air has to go somewhere...

cheers Jamie