BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #683
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
sup T! long time, man. how's things with your car? i've got my e90 running really well, but damn i miss my 1-series sometimes

are you going with the hpf turbo kit once they redesign the mani?
its definitely a possibility. havent done too much this winter except work and getting my race schedule ready. got my novice racing license and am looking to build a car this spring. gonna be driving a 944 for the early part of racing season for novice racing, using an 84' civic for chumpcar this season and my 1 series for lapping days. been messing with my ecu a bit to squeeze out some more juice and now gotta change my plugs.
      02-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #684
MRWILT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black on Black 2009 135i

JB4 or Evolve? in regards to ease of instalation and danger to my vehicle. I know they are both going to make me happy just curious what you think (i am pretty new doing my own performance upgrades and dont want to f things up)
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #685
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRWILT View Post
JB4 or Evolve? in regards to ease of instalation and danger to my vehicle. I know they are both going to make me happy just curious what you think (i am pretty new doing my own performance upgrades and dont want to f things up)
why limit your choices to those tunes? i see you're in houston, and evolve does have a nice local special, but honestly, you can do better than those tunes.

procede or cobb are what i always recommend. cobb is beginning to have custom tunes from dealers. see EFI thread on e90post. soon, secret services in houston will have custom cobb tuning ability.

jb4 doesn't control timing, it's just a copy of the procede, but the procede is much better, still. evolve is lower power and they have zero resell value.

i've used most major tunes (jb+, jb3, jb4, procede v4, v5, cobb) and i honestly think the procede "feels" the best. i have cobb and procede and eventually will have a custom cobb map, but for now, i love my procede.

i can help you install the tune if you need, PM me
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #686
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
its definitely a possibility. havent done too much this winter except work and getting my race schedule ready. got my novice racing license and am looking to build a car this spring. gonna be driving a 944 for the early part of racing season for novice racing, using an 84' civic for chumpcar this season and my 1 series for lapping days. been messing with my ecu a bit to squeeze out some more juice and now gotta change my plugs.
wow, that sounds awesome man. i'd be curious to see pics of your race cars when they're done, i've always loved dedicated track cars.

i've switched plugs on my car a few times now, it's really, really easy. procede aggressive maps are sick, aren't they?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #687
MRWILT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black on Black 2009 135i

Thanks for the advice bryce.

I know this comes up all the time but, when taking my ride to the dealer for routine maintenence does all this need to come out and be reinstalled or what in your opinion needs to happen to not void my warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #688
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRWILT View Post
Thanks for the advice bryce.

I know this comes up all the time but, when taking my ride to the dealer for routine maintenence does all this need to come out and be reinstalled or what in your opinion needs to happen to not void my warranty.
i've never taken off my tune for dealer visits. i have an e90 335i now, but even on my old 135i, i always left the jb3, procede, or cobb on for dealer visists.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #689
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

I've left all my tunes for dealer visits. As long as you're not bringing it in and complaining that something isn't working right, they have no real need to poke around and test to see why something is wrong.

I've done warranty stuff and been left along. But everything works fine when I bring it in, or is unrelated to anything I've done.

Actually the dealer finds my car quite interesting, they don't see many around where I am with mods.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #690
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
I've left all my tunes for dealer visits. As long as you're not bringing it in and complaining that something isn't working right, they have no real need to poke around and test to see why something is wrong.

I've done warranty stuff and been left along. But everything works fine when I bring it in, or is unrelated to anything I've done.

Actually the dealer finds my car quite interesting, they don't see many around where I am with mods.
same here
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #691
Pzayas
Rep
Drives: 1three5

I plan on getting Cobb stage 2 plus supporting mods in a couple months when my warranty expires. is it necessary to replace charge pipe/diverter valves? Can the stock parts still be reliable w/increased boost. Also if it is recommended to be replaced what are good options? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #692
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pzayas View Post
I plan on getting Cobb stage 2 plus supporting mods in a couple months when my warranty expires. is it necessary to replace charge pipe/diverter valves? Can the stock parts still be reliable w/increased boost. Also if it is recommended to be replaced what are good options? Thanks in advance.
I've had no issues with stock divertor valves and stock charge pipe on FBO Cobb stage 2+ or procede aggressive maps. Most sftermatket ones are fine, but not necessary. If you really feel inclined, I'd recommend ets or stett for charge pipes.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #693
brusk
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Here's a question that I haven't seen anybody discuss, or seen anybody doing mods. The engine compartment on BMW's seem really sealed up. I've seen alot lesser cars trying all kinds of mods such as raising the rear of the hood, removing seals, fenders with air exit slots, hoods with louvers or exit spots etc to get all the hot air in the engine compartment out allowing cooler air to flow into the front of the car. Other than a few hoods with louvers that I didn't care for, are there any other options? Has anybody researched the under hood temps and tried to lower them. or did somehow BMW get the flow through the compartment pretty dam good.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #694
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

You`ll find that people don`t mess with the BMW`s the way some might mess with other cars.

All those things, however, would work. And it does get warm under the hood as people with the dual cone intakes can probably vouch for. (at least I notice it with mine)

You`ll also find that a lot of the modifications available for the cars aren`t for 100% pure horsepower. These cars in my opinion are capable of more. But all the companies tend to go towards more conservative bolt ons rather then doing bell mouth full 3" downpipes and exhausts. Yes you can find them, but it's few and far between (not so much the bell mouth, I haven't seen that yet)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #695
Pzayas
Rep
Drives: 1three5

Quote:
I've had no issues with stock divertor valves and stock charge pipe on FBO Cobb stage 2+ or procede aggressive maps. Most sftermatket ones are fine, but not necessary. If you really feel inclined, I'd recommend ets or stett for charge pipes.
Appreciate the input..coming from the Subaru world, the stock charge pipe had a slight chance to collapse under high pressure..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #696
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pzayas View Post
Appreciate the input..coming from the Subaru world, the stock charge pipe had a slight chance to collapse under high pressure..
I'm going to agree and disagree with Bryce on this one.

It is a sufficient piece and is definitely more substantial then what you find in the subaru. That being said, it is an accordion style of pipe thus providing some limited restriction (maybe 1-2hp at best), the main problem i see with it, is that it is very soft rubber. So it will have a fair amount of expansion and contraction with throttle input. This can somewhat affect throttle response with the turbos.

I have not played with any of the aftermarket ones to know if they are any better or not. So what it all really comes down to, is like why Bryce says, it is sufficient, unless you plan on other modifications. Basically, if you want a noisy blow off valve, or diverter valve, and/or meth, then you are pretty much stuck going aftermarket. If like most of us, you stop at intercooler, downpipes and chip, then going aftermarket for the charge pipe would be a potential unnecessary expense.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #697
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List

i agree, the1. thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #698
EFI Logics
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 135i, 08 535Xi

Bryce, you are the thread master here!

-Josh
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #699
Alexim
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
^agreed, great points mineo and the1 about going catless. i'll eventually get a dp-back exhuast, catless. i still like the quiet and unassuming position my car makes with the stock exhaust though. i beat my friend's roush 427r the other day from a roll, all while being relatively quiet
Bryce sorry if you've answered this already, but I'm still on page 5 of the thread..

I just got cat less DPs but I'm a bit worried about the sound difference inside the car... I just came from a full catless TBE evo x (loooooooooud) and am really appreciating the quietness of the bimmer..

So is it a LOT louder than stock DPs??? I'll be using the stock exhaust..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #700
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexim View Post
Bryce sorry if you've answered this already, but I'm still on page 5 of the thread..

I just got cat less DPs but I'm a bit worried about the sound difference inside the car... I just came from a full catless TBE evo x (loooooooooud) and am really appreciating the quietness of the bimmer..

It will be louder then stock for sure, but you're not going to be anything as loud nearly as loud as going TBE.

I'm assuming you'll still be running stock muffler and mid pipes?

The 1 series also has about 2x as much sound insulation and such as the evo (I had a WRX back in the day with full catless 3" custom made)

It always amazes me how much difference opening and closing the windows on these cars makes.

I'm running stock muffler and midpipes, but have dual cone intakes and catless downpipes. It is a bit louder, but not overly loud. I in fact decided to do the Golf T mod to make it a bit louder (I really just reached under and pulled the tube out then walked away, doing the T mod is more work then I'm willing to do.)

I am debating if I want to do a different muffler to get more flow as the exhaust isn't so loud that I'm worried about going aftermarket and getting louder, but I still have a second pair of cats in the N54.

so you will probably sound like the Golf T mod without actually doing it.

But again, it will just sound sporty on the interior, you can still have full conversations and actually be able to hear music.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #701
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI Logics View Post
Bryce, you are the thread master here!

-Josh
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexim View Post

it's a little bit louder, but not unbearable at all. with the windows up, you can hardly tell a difference.

Quote:
It will be louder then stock for sure, but you're not going to be anything as loud nearly as loud as going TBE.

The 1 series also has about 2x as much sound insulation and such as the evo (I had a WRX back in the day with full catless 3" custom made)

It always amazes me how much difference opening and closing the windows on these cars makes.

I'm running stock muffler and midpipes, but have dual cone intakes and catless downpipes. It is a bit louder, but not overly loud. I in fact decided to do the Golf T mod to make it a bit louder (I really just reached under and pulled the tube out then walked away, doing the T mod is more work then I'm willing to do.)

I am debating if I want to do a different muffler to get more flow as the exhaust isn't so loud that I'm worried about going aftermarket and getting louder, but I still have a second pair of cats in the N54.

But again, it will just sound sporty on the interior, you can still have full conversations and actually be able to hear music.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #702
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
it's a little bit louder, but not unbearable at all. with the windows up, you can hardly tell a difference.
lol, I over explained it compared to you I think
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #703
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
lol, I over explained it compared to you I think
yours was more accurate, i just summed up what you said
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #704
Alexim
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:

Great.. Thanks so much.. That's the info I was looking for..
I'll be running stock exhaust, at leats for now.
the dp is just to go for map 2 on JB4
The sound insulation really is about twice as good.. totally different cars
Thanks again
Appreciate 0