BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #89
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I'm sure I don't have to tell you how much more difficult it is to get a license in Germany and how much better the quality of the average driver is over there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
If every road and highway were run the way the autobahn is operated, and if every country (and State) took steps to train drivers they way they do in Germany there might be room for a discussion.
These were my points. It's the people, not the act. Right?

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #90
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post
Talk about timing. In today's Phoenix paper:

Remember, there are always consequeces.

Considering the location, there damn well should be.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...19205&t=h&z=16
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #91
heffergm
Private
Rep
Drives: '10 135ic

Quote:
If every road and highway were run the way the autobahn is operated, and if every country (and State) took steps to train drivers they way they do in Germany there might be room for a discussion.

The German autobahn network is patrolled by unmarked police cars and motorcycles equipped with video cameras; this allows the enforcement of laws (such as that against driving too close to the car in front) which are often viewed in other countries as difficult to prove in court. Notable laws include the following.
Driving in Europe in general is a breath of fresh air that few here can imagine (I lived in Italy for some time and have driven through a lot of other western European countries). Even the worst western Europe has to offer in terms of general road manners is 10x better than anywhere in the States.

Germany takes it to another level, although lately decorum on the autobahns (not all of which are unrestricted by the way) has suffered a bit.

Italy is about perfect for me. It's kind of like NYC but at highway speeds and with less traffic. Everyone gesticulates wildly and appears to be in a rush, even though they'll all be late to wherever they're going. I love it!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #92
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
LOL

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #93
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Is your defense really "an accident at 130 is not necessiarly deadly as long as you dont hit something head on?" Really? And your defense of the guy doing 160 in a Lambo is that he got away with it (ie, was back at work the next day)? Your almost pathological lack of a logical train of thought would be funny if it weren't so disconcerting.

I sincerely hope you're some kid in your parents' basement, because the idea that you might actually be a full-grown adult is worrisome.
Sorry I wasnt very clear. That was a sub point, minor one at that. The point I want to make is that there is a distinct difference between someone who has driven high hp cars for years and is behind the wheel of a well balanced car that he has a good idea of how to control and someone who is inexpierenced and behind the wheel of a over powered brick with out proper brakes or suspension. So it is the people not the act and if you deney this then god have mercy on your illogical and stubborn soul.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #94
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

Also in that link of the ferrari crash there was alcohol invoulved which is another issue, one which I have zero tolerance for when driving, especially at speed.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 02:14 PM   #95
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
I suppose you could view street racing as a way to cull the herd and eliminate idiots from the gene pool - provided they only kill themselves.
      05-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #96
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
provided they only kill themselves.
That's always the tricky part.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #97
993 911
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z3M, F31, G07

Never trust other drivers.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #98
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman View Post
Sorry I wasnt very clear. That was a sub point, minor one at that. The point I want to make is that there is a distinct difference between someone who has driven high hp cars for years and is behind the wheel of a well balanced car that he has a good idea of how to control and someone who is inexpierenced and behind the wheel of a over powered brick with out proper brakes or suspension. So it is the people not the act and if you deney this then god have mercy on your illogical and stubborn soul.
It is always the people. An act has no intelligence, no responsibility and therefore cannot be held accountable. Same argument that it's not the fault of the gun, but the fault of the hands the gun falls in to.

But I still believe that the risk to everything and everyone outside of your car increases at a rate directly proportional to how far outside of the envelope you go with your thrill seeking automotive activity.

And I don't believe you have the right to increase that risk for people around you who are not knowingly or willingly accepting that risk. That's the track difference. Everyone accepts it consciously, and maybe even in writing.

Even the professional race drivers I know will tell you that no matter how seasoned, trained and expert they are - the risk is dramatically higher.

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #99
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
These were my points. It's the people, not the act. Right?
But merely driving fast (in excess of 80 MPH, let's say, typical for the Autobahn,) on a limited access highway is not the same thing as "street racing", no?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #100
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Having both had friends die while street racing (back in the day), and having lost a family member to idiots who were street racing -and who drove off-, I've been refraining from posting "on-topic".

I cannot tell you how badly it tore apart families, after the fact, in both circumstances. Seeing one instance took place 20 years ago, I can say that it shattered a large family permanently. Also, having seen how it affects those left behind first hand, all I can say if that even if those racing don't care if they murder somebody while doing so, or kill themselves, think of what you do to the families involved. Selfish act beyond all reason, and beyond irresponsible thing to do.

Btw, the autobahn is not a valid comparison. People are trained and used to those speeds, the road is prepared for those speeds, and more importantly, people are expecting to see cars whizzing by them.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #101
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2006 MINI Cooper S GP  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 E82  [0.00]
If you race on the street it's most likely because you don't have the skills or the dough to go do it on the track.

Street racers are nothing more than posers/losers.
      05-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #102
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
But merely driving fast (in excess of 80 MPH, let's say, typical for the Autobahn,) on a limited access highway is not the same thing as "street racing", no?
It depends I guess. Is there someone next to you? Did you abruptly accelerate to the greater speed? It is all contextual.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #103
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
It depends I guess. Is there someone next to you? Did you abruptly accelerate to the greater speed? It is all contextual.
It is not "all contextual". If you are next to someone and floor it and the other guy does nothing then it is not a race. It takes two to tango.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #104
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It is always the people. An act has no intelligence, no responsibility and therefore cannot be held accountable. Same argument that it's not the fault of the gun, but the fault of the hands the gun falls in to.
I think everybody is grouping any act of acceleration over the speed limit as "street racing" so the argument is sadly skewd.

But none the less, excellent post.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #105
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
It is not "all contextual". If you are next to someone and floor it and the other guy does nothing then it is not a race. It takes two to tango.
Maybe not "all" contextual. But there seems to be a generalization of people who do some highway pulls in a coherent and alert manner and those who tear off from redlights and weave in and out of traffic. That is all I am saying. I know very well coming from 7 years of driving in Germany that most of our population has no business even doing the posted speed limit let alone breaking it.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #106
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 993 911 View Post
Never trust other drivers.
exactly! even when I am approaching a green traffic light I find myself looking for some idiot flying trough the intersection. believe me it has happened to me more than one time. I am so amazed how many selfish, distracted, incompetent fools with little or no common sense can be out there. scary!
      05-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #107
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Having both had friends die while street racing (back in the day), and having lost a family member to idiots who were street racing -and who drove off-, I've been refraining from posting "on-topic".
I am sorry to hear about your losses. I have no idea how aggravating and terrible that must feel. I too have lost a loved one in a similar scenario. In my case though, it was a friend killing a friend so I had to have forgiveness and understanding of some sort.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #108
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
exactly! even when I am approaching a green traffic light I find myself looking for some idiot flying trough the intersection. believe me it has happened to me more than one time. I am so amazed how many selfish, distracted, incompetent fools with little or no common sense can be out there. scary!
You, are one of the few minority of drivers (as I would guess a lot of us 1addicts are) that actually think like that. I am always amazed everytime I take to the road.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #109
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

^^HondaGoneRogue
I know it's off topic but what is BV talking about in your sig line?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #110
White1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 128i AW/Prem/PremAudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Then what were a couple of the original Mercury 7 astronauts doing with those SOHC 427 Fords?

Your statement is a non-sequtiur.
Well i guess some people like to use misspelled fancy words, and still not understand how, or in what context to use them...First of all the term is spelled NON SEQUITUR, you use it without the "a"; "your statement is non sequitur" and second of all, what do astronauts, and their 427 Fords have to do with the discussion at hand, as well as my comments on pg 2 about the 40 mpg aveos ?