Here you go.
Attached Images

05-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #112
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Really enjoy reading this thread. Great posts and your subtle mods look great. Keep us posted on that possible moton suspension setup!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 01:36 AM   #113
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
Here you go.
Well done! I think it tones down the rear in a way that will attract less wrong attention.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 08:39 AM   #114
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
No track time for me today. It wasn't quite what I was expecting. I did have some fun on the mountain and used the M button with MDM. It didn't take long to realize how much that button really does to this car. I never really liked the sport mode on the Z4 MC because it seemed too jumpy but I got used to the M almost immediately. I kept the revs below 4k but used the torque and momentum and the car just flowed nicely.
Glad to hear the m button is better than on the e46. I hated it on my M3. I plan to go out to the Boston hills south of Buffalo tomorrow and to play. I'll try it but not turn off the traction control -- rain is expected and I don't know the car yet.

I'll be really glad when this car is broken in. My z3 3.0 was hit last Oct. It is at my son's shop in Greensboro getting fixed so now I am without a autox car until the first service. I was hoping to get some events in with my M3 but this car came unexpectedly quick. It was an extra given to the dealer and since it had 90% of what I wanted I jumped at the chance.

Holly
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #115
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
Black Tip Option

Cost - $7
Time - 1.5 hours (sanding, taping, and prep work)

1200 degree high temp paint (This has been on the tips of my race car for 4 years and looks like the day I painted it)

Not for everyone but I like it.

I like it too and will be my second option after cf tips
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #116
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

I just ordered a few pics from killboy.com from the drive last Tuesday. The suspension may sit higher than the rear normally but after looking at these pics of the car in corners I think the suspension is really dialed in just right, stock. With the huge amount of front end grip the car has I wonder if the travel M has dialed in has something to do with it. Lowering the car, especially in front may hinder performance if it isn't done just right.

Almost at 1000 miles!
Attached Images

05-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #117
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

Hi resolution pics from the Dragon's Tail here:

http://www.simplywireless.org/simplywireless/1mdt.html
      05-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #118
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
When you do drive one with gizmos off you better have quick hands and large attachments. I tried it when heading south on the dragons tail and it was awesome! It really will be a mass of fun after break in, on track with everything off. The only other car I've driven like it was a supercharged miata I had a few years ago (300 hp and huge torque down low). No ABS and no aero whatsoever! In the 1M, to power out of a 2nd gear uphill switchback at part throttle in 3rd gear and have the back end kick out made me very aware of the attention I had better give the 1M. I haven't auto x'd in several years but something makes me want to get up early on a Sunday morning and go play with the cones now. 500 more miles to go before the fluids get replaced and then (on the way home) I'm off to The Racers Market dyno for a few pulls on their new machine.

I think the top gear boys will like the 1M, even though it's not made in the UK.
Quick hands... CHECK! (been autocrossing since 1994 and HPDE instructing since 2001)

Large Attachments... CHECK! (see above.. particularly when it comes to sitting in the right seat!)

It definitely will be a big change for me having power oversteer on tap at the hint of firm throttle application....
but I'm ready for the challenge
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #119
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

Thanks, Dan! Love the pics. Keep em coming.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #120
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

i saw that laminx has the ambers now offered via their website! i'd love to see them in tinted and smoked. thanks again, dan! http://www.lamin-x.com/BMW-1-Series-...s-p/b023-1.htm
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #121
mtechnik3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Dan, I enjoyed reading your thougts on the 1M. Nice pics from Killboy at TOD. I have to hit that stretch of road up soon in my 1er. Drive your 1M in good health sir!
      05-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #122
Ky1M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Z3-M///Coupe ,AW1M

Quote:
I just ordered a few pics from killboy.com from the drive last Tuesday. The suspension may sit higher than the rear normally but after looking at these pics of the car in corners I think the suspension is really dialed in just right, stock. With the huge amount of front end grip the car has I wonder if the travel M has dialed in has something to do with it. Lowering the car, especially in front may hinder performance if it isn't done just right.

Almost at 1000 miles!
So so jealous! Mine is not even a nut to a bolt yet. Waiting for my October allo, and your are at 1000 miles. Thanks for all the info and pics! Having fun in my 02 Z3M///COUPE
Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #123
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

I got the 1200 mile service done today. The only problem with the car was a squeaky clutch pedal. It was annoying and I probably could have fixed it myself but that's what warrantees are for. On the way home I shut off electronics, pressed M, and had a lot of fun on the mountain. I didn't turn on my camera and it's probably a good thing since I would be in handcuffs if the local police got a hold of it. Sideways action is so easy in this car!
I was planning on getting it on the dyno on the way home but that didn't happen. My race car is under the knife and I need to get it done for a race next weekend so the 1M dyno run is going to have to wait a little longer. There's a slight chance I will get it next week.

In celebration of being past the break in I had a donut. Enjoy!

Last edited by Dan Parker; 05-19-2011 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #124
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Haha awesome! It seems like the car likes to spin easily!

Quote:
I got the 1200 mile service done today. The only problem with the car was a squeaky clutch pedal. It was annoying and I probably could have fixed it myself but that's what warrantees are for. On the way home I shut off electronics, pressed M, and had a lot of fun on the mountain. I didn't turn on my camera and it's probably a good thing since I would be in handcuffs if the local police got a hold of it. Sideways action is so easy in this car!
I was planning on getting it on the dyno on the way home but that didn't happen. My race car is under the knife and I need to get it done for a race next weekend so the 1M dyno run is going to have to wait a little longer. There's a slight chance I will get it next week.

In celebration of being past the break in I had a donut. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #125
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

I could have sat there spinning all day and night but the price of the Michelins made me stop.

DE @ Road Atl on 6/6 if anyone wants to come by.
      05-20-2011, 09:54 AM   #126
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

Just to bring the 2 cents of a (happy) 128i driver. There's no question the 128i has nowhere the soul and involvement index than a Z4m but I think a few points need to be added : you drove a stripped 128i, a few things make a huge difference : first the auto transmission of the 128i make the car feel slow and boring, the manual feels day and night in comparison (great shifter, light and precise clutch and much more responsive if you play with it on its full powerband. Then the sport package makes it also very different and tighter. You probably had the leatherette seats, the Boston leather are nice and have a nice, albeit rugged, feel, especially nice in terra-cotta brown. Brakes are excellent at least on mine, not sure the base version are different. The HK sound option is good, I prefer it to my wife Bose in her SUV.
One thing I would miss coming from a Z4 is the seeing position. The 128i must feel too much "normal" in comparison
      05-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #127
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you drove a stripped 128i, a few things make a huge difference
Ummmmm. Who are you talking to?
      05-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #128
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

@ Dan Parker,

I enjoy your pics, vids and reads en can imagine what you can do with a car.

But my question to you is, have you considered the possible risks for yourself
by showing these vids in public or on a forum like this.

What I refer to is your own statement to not using the cam i.e. police; handcuffs..... cuz of what you do on a public road.

You do what you want but I think it's wiser not to show it .

Hope all goes well in your next race
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #129
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs/e60/1m? View Post
@ Dan Parker,

I enjoy your pics, vids and reads en can imagine what you can do with a car.

But my question to you is, have you considered the possible risks for yourself
by showing these vids in public or on a forum like this.

What I refer to is your own statement to not using the cam i.e. police; handcuffs..... cuz of what you do on a public road.

You do what you want but I think it's wiser not to show it .

Hope all goes well in your next race
I can understand your statement and your advice is wise and come from a safety perspective. However, a small clip such as this one is hard to be used for an serious indictment or prosecution. In his defense, he simply made a speedy u-turn, albeit in a "no-u-turn" area, which would make it a different violation-case altogether. Although I do see your point....
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #130
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Wrong forum dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvandenhaute View Post
Just to bring the 2 cents of a (happy) 128i driver. There's no question the 128i has nowhere the soul and involvement index than a Z4m but I think a few points need to be added : you drove a stripped 128i, a few things make a huge difference : first the auto transmission of the 128i make the car feel slow and boring, the manual feels day and night in comparison (great shifter, light and precise clutch and much more responsive if you play with it on its full powerband. Then the sport package makes it also very different and tighter. You probably had the leatherette seats, the Boston leather are nice and have a nice, albeit rugged, feel, especially nice in terra-cotta brown. Brakes are excellent at least on mine, not sure the base version are different. The HK sound option is good, I prefer it to my wife Bose in her SUV.
One thing I would miss coming from a Z4 is the seeing position. The 128i must feel too much "normal" in comparison
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #131
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

"You do what you want but I think it's wiser not to show it ."

You are probably right but I did it for a good cause.

I usually drive conservatively on the street since I get off on the track but this car begs to be pushed.

I have a pro racer driving my car for a session at Road Atlanta in a few weeks. New Performance Friction pads were just ordered. The overheating test will be soon.
      05-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #132
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Which pf pads did u go with? I've already traded emails with JC, and looks like he is ready to take my $$$$. I hope u keep a nice spreadsheet on the 1M goodies, i will be referring to you when the mod bug hits me.

I also wonder, does BMW have any policy on how often we replace brake rotors under warranty?

Last edited by Franklin Joseph; 05-20-2011 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 0