BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #111
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I don't get drivers either. I went to highschool with a girl who totaled 3 different cars...but she always had a new one a week later. Where is the accountability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post
^^HondaGoneRogue
I know it's off topic but what is BV talking about in your sig line?
I was talking about Jon sibal's m1 render.

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 12:15 AM   #112
BlackFlash
poseur (for now)
Canada
Rep
Drives: a piece-o-crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I went to highschool with a girl who totaled 3 different cars...but she always had a new one a week later. Where is the accountability?
With her parents paying the insurance bills, what is a lowly highschool student to worry about totaling cars?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #113
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post
^^HondaGoneRogue
I know it's off topic but what is BV talking about in your sig line?
Yeah, if you click the little blue arrow icon next to his name on the quote, it will take to to that discussion.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #114
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
Maybe not "all" contextual. But there seems to be a generalization of people who do some highway pulls in a coherent and alert manner and those who tear off from redlights and weave in and out of traffic. That is all I am saying. I know very well coming from 7 years of driving in Germany that most of our population has no business even doing the posted speed limit let alone breaking it.
Well, I'd argue that all racing is an inherently dangerous act, which is why it is best left to a track. Racing (as opposed to merely driving fast) adds that element of "I have to beat that other guy," which can lead drivers to take risks that they wouldn't in ordinary driving.

All participants and spectators at a track assume the risk of participating in/observing an inherently dangerous act.

On a public road, there is always the chance of others being around. By racing others are placed at risk without their consent. That is a very repugnant act, in my judgment, regardless of how well you think you've checked the area to make sure it was deserted first.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #115
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Agreed.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #116
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
Actually just last week. Corvette ZR1 single car accident. Killed driver and passenger. Just plain lost control. Not a kid. Better brakes than you or I have.
Really?
I thought our brakes are pretty comparable.
Of course, braking has more to do with tires first, and Vettes tend to run really really wide rubber.

To the topic at hand:
Street racing and the accidents that can occur are a fact.
More importantly, on a daily basis I am much more concerned about drivers who are simply driving to work, or running errands, or transporting their children.
These are the daily drivers that account for the majority of low speed, low impact, low injury accidents, as well as the accidents with hard impact, and more serious injuries. High speed accidents in comparison are much rarer.

When a high speed accident occurs, most people tend to respond with disdain and anger towards the "street racer", and proclaiming, "something needs to be done." Yet, these same people remain quiet to the daily tragedy's that occur in much greater numbers, but don't get the media coverage.

Poor driving skills are THE MAIN reason for the majority of accidents in this country. I've had dozens and dozens of near miss "accidents" from other drivers idiocy, yet have not had even one incident with a "street racer". I'm willing to bet that holds true for most Americans.

We have more to fear on a daily basis from incompetent, inconsiderate, inattentive, stupid, STATE licensed drivers. Where's the uproar over that?
Just because you have to get to work, or drop the kids off at soccer, doesn't give you a greater right to be a safety hazard than the idiot who thinks running his buddy at 130mph is fine during rush hour.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 09:20 AM   #117
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Really?
I thought our brakes are pretty comparable.
Of course, braking has more to do with tires first, and Vettes tend to run really really wide rubber.

Regular Corvette brakes are good, but the stuff they're using on the ZR1 is downright exotic. The 1 Series isn't even on the same playing field.

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #118
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post

To the topic at hand:
Street racing and the accidents that can occur are a fact.
More importantly, on a daily basis I am much more concerned about drivers who are simply driving to work, or running errands, or transporting their children.
These are the daily drivers that account for the majority of low speed, low impact, low injury accidents, as well as the accidents with hard impact, and more serious injuries. High speed accidents in comparison are much rarer.

When a high speed accident occurs, most people tend to respond with disdain and anger towards the "street racer", and proclaiming, "something needs to be done." Yet, these same people remain quiet to the daily tragedy's that occur in much greater numbers, but don't get the media coverage.

Poor driving skills are THE MAIN reason for the majority of accidents in this country. I've had dozens and dozens of near miss "accidents" from other drivers idiocy, yet have not had even one incident with a "street racer". I'm willing to bet that holds true for most Americans.

We have more to fear on a daily basis from incompetent, inconsiderate, inattentive, stupid, STATE licensed drivers. Where's the uproar over that?
Just because you have to get to work, or drop the kids off at soccer, doesn't give you a greater right to be a safety hazard than the idiot who thinks running his buddy at 130mph is fine during rush hour.
I wouldn't argue with anything you've stated here.

I also would not discount the issue of street racing because there are other issues that need attention.

And I would venture to say that fender bender type accidents from typical idiot drivers can never be as tragic as just one death at high speed from a street race or from someone out to test the limits of their car on the public roadways.

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #119
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
may want to check this out. sure to stir up this debate. crazy russians