BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #133
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Jeep, Ducati & Harley

Fellow 128ers, here is our chance to influence our aftermarket!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #134
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyer239 View Post
Sounds great, and thanks for always being so responsive in this forum. Forgive my ignorance, I thought that beyond the midpipe, it was mostly about sound only, and that muffler flow capability or axle back pipe diameter wouldn't have much of an effect on power or torque either way.
When we made the 135i axlback we made the diameter 3" which is more approrpiate for a high output turbo motor and knowing that some folks would be running JB1,2,3's and other piggybacks that wouldn't push the stock power output up considerably. On an NA motor it's possible to lose power by going too big with the exhaust diameter. We be looking at making the 128 system 2.5" most likely.

R.
      12-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #135
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Jeep, Ducati & Harley

Your concern for doing things the right way is what attracted me to the Maddad product as a whole. For instance, one concern of mine is having the system tucked up neatly without low hanging parts, and I know you guys have concern for that. I just hope we can drum up enough interest here to warrant some production. I am in CT so if you need my 128 for some prototype fitting let me know. I realize your production facilities are elsewhere, but perhaps you design and prototype in MA? Anyway, I am close by. EDIT: Okay, I see it's CA for that.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 10:02 PM   #136
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Fireflyer239 - thanks for the offer, our lead engineer on exhaust fabrication is out in CA. so we'll hopefully get a 128 owner out in that are to raise their hand.

For those of you waiting to see what the dyno chart looked like from the stock midpipe to the MadDad midpipe here it is. This is on a mustang dyno which reads massivley low.

However this isn't about what my peak numbers are, it's about the differences that swapping the factory midpipe for the MadDad midpipe made on the car. The gain was exactly inline with what I anticipated so I'm very happy with that. These charts are both 4th gear pulls. Weather corrected numbers...it was a cold day. The immediate thing you notice when driving, behond the sound difference, is the car just revs more freely. It's pretty obvious. Acceleration in 5th gear in particular feels much stronger than what the dyno chart would even reveal. I'm very happy with the difference. Pipe fit up perfect. With the car on the lift we had the factory pipe off and the new one on in 15 min. We'll start production on these as quickly as we can. I know I keep saying I'll have a part # up for ordering very shortly..and I will. You'll be able to order by end of this week for a delivery sometime in January. I've got some pics and a grabbed a couple of videos I'll post when I get a chance.

Hats off to the guys over at ESP in Sterling, MA. It was my 8 year old boys birthday and they were ready for me right when I got there, got the initial dyno, swapped the midpipe and got the second dyno in a pretty speedy timeframe to get me back home for the bday party. They've supported BMW dyno days in the past and their rates are fantastic even if it's not a dyno day event..so if your in the MA. or surrounding area and looking for a place to get a pull at a reasonable cost or have some parts installed give these boys a ring. Their number can be seen on the dyno sheet.

Last edited by maddad; 01-09-2010 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 10:13 PM   #137
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Are those the carbon or ceramic coated tips? If ceramic, how are they holding up?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 10:13 PM   #138
sbefar01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1er

Are we ordering the full system (Mid + Axelback) on this thread or ordering on your actual website for the $1249?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 10:30 PM   #139
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Bradford - Those are the black ceramic...customer will have to tell you first hand how his have held up. I've had the ceramic on my car for about the last 5 months and they look identical as the day I installed it.

This is what the carbon fiber looks like. This photo was the second prototype we made about a year ago(we made 3 sample exhausts each having the sound tuned differently before we made a final decision on the production version). I have a couple of installed photos I'll share once I dig them up.

sbefar01 - right now on the website you can only order the axleback. By end of this week you'll be able to order the full system. If you want to order the full system right away, you can just order the axleback and add a note in the Customer Notes section at the bottom of the checkout form saying "please ship midpipe when available". You'll be charged the $599 for the midpipe when it ships(plus shipping) and we'll ship and charge the axleback right away. We have one ceramic tip available, 4 polished SS tips, and 4 systems with no tips that we can do anyway folks want. We were saving the last 4 for carbon fiber tips but we're leaving them tipless in case we run out of the others.

R.
      12-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #140
driftmotion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: i3, 335i GT, e46 M3 vert SC

what about mine
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #141
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

In for midpipes...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #142
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
Are those the carbon or ceramic coated tips? If ceramic, how are they holding up?

Like Rich said they are the ceramic tips. And also like he said they look the same as when I put the exhaust on back in June. As a matter of fact the above picture was taken this past September....between June and September I had drove about 10k miles of highway travel as well and the tips still look good.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 10:26 AM   #143
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

and to be clear it's a real ceramic coat..the same as we would put on a donwpipe. It's not just a high temp paint some folks call a coating. The tips go through the same coating process as would be used on a downpipe or any other high heat exhaust componant. Now bear in mind they can still be chipped. I managed to wack a rock off the top of one of my tips before installing and did chip it..however in 5 months that chip has not grown at all. If it was just a high temp paint you'd see that little chip grow and grow. Real ceramic coatings are baked on.

driftmotion - haven't forgot about you. I'll inquire today.

R.
      12-14-2009, 01:44 PM   #144
sbefar01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

10hp gain on a mustang dyno for mid-pipe alone? What is the gain with the Axelback too? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #145
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbefar01 View Post
10hp gain on a mustang dyno for mid-pipe alone? What is the gain with the Axelback too? Thanks!
I am pretty sure he did it on his own car. His car already has the axelback so the quoted gains and dyno chart are WITH midpipe and axelback....
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #146
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

"Stock" run already had axle back so dyno is midpipe gains only.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #147
sbefar01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

yeah i knew he has axelback on already so i thought the 10hp was the gain relative to midpipe only, at least thats the way i read it?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #148
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I know that dyno isn't about peak numbers but aren't the numbers very low to begin with? Or is this just mustang dyno?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #149
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Yeah it is a Mustang Dyno thing (The Heartbreaker)...supposedly because you put a "load" on the car it gives you a true measure of HP....I happen to disagree with that approach somewhat (respectfully of course) as Auto manufacturers have a tendency to quote using the best numbers (hence they would never quote a Mustang dyno #)...matter of fact most quote crank HP as opposed to wheel HP. Regardless any dyno is good for seeing whether not mods are gaining you any type of output....
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #150
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just to clarity here the only thing we tested and dyno'd was the midpipe. The same axleback was on the car for both dyno's. In January we'll be able to tell you what the full downpipe back actually nets.

Mustang dyno's read the lowest in the industry..although I still feel I have something up with my car as I think my overall peaks even with the stock midpipe should have been higher..but that wasn't why we were dynoing. We were dynoing to ensure our midpipe makes a noticable difference and to ensure it was at least within our estimates, and it was right on. I've seen another bone stock 135 make in the 240hp range on a Mustang dynos and I've seen a couple of stock 135's make crazy bone stock #'s on Mustang dynos as well. There are so many parameters that can effect the numbers you see, the peaks someone got on one Mustang are useless to even compare with another Mustang dyno. Even the same dyno can read vastly differently from servicing, calibration, and parameters used for a given pull. The before/after charts we show you hear are both 4th gear and both weather corrected and both with a vehicle weight entered with added weight for a driver to set the loading as accurate as possible. So while I certainly would have loved to see much higher numbers for my personal ride, I don't really car too much in the end about that. I'm glad the midpipe with a set of resonators made a power gain we thought/hoped it would. The other thing is the final product will have some seem welds gone and some things smoothed out. This unit was total piece meal mostly for fitting purposes. The next unit we test as part of a before/after dyno will be a full downpipe back with a production ready part.

I also know many of you are looking at various system and some worry a Whisper may be too quite. Honestly..that might be true for just the axleback for some of you. There is an implication in the name of a "Whisper" series exhaust. I would venture to say a MadDad downpipe back setup of midpipe + axleback would sound more in line with some of the other brand axleback(test pipe) only setups. Our axleback is a real muffler so it's going to due it's job. The muffler-less pipes are of course going to be louder/more aggressive. If you don't think you'll ever go beyond the axleback then you might be better served by one of those other systems. Just remember, when/if you go with anyone's midpipe the volume will open up several notches..and I mean several. There is a big difference in the sound outside the car comparing just our axleback with everything else stock vs. our axleback with a catless midpipe. I cannot imagine how loud it would be with one of the systems that has no muffler..but that might be the sound level some folks are looking for and if so that is a good thing. There is absolutely no sense in various manufacturers all making products that are the same. There is no way we would have even bothered to enter this market with a product that could not be differentiated from others. We stated it before, our exhaust is designed more so with the adult enthusiast in mind or any enthusiast that wants to enhance the sound character and performance of the car without going over the top on the volume and minimizing in cabin drone. I don't ever want to get tired of my downpipe-back setup. What I'm hearing from my car right now is the peak of where I would want the volume to be as someone that likes things a bit more on the quite side. Make no mistake, this bugger sounds quite mean when you get on it, but at the same time I can pull into my family neighborhood without the neighbors giving me funny looks. That's a requirement for me, and one of the reasons we made this exhaust in the first place. I'm always the first customer

R.

Last edited by maddad; 12-15-2009 at 12:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 12:27 AM   #151
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
i am psyched to install my axle back this weekend, delivery day 12/17! I look forward to hearing how it actually sounds in real life. I love the option of a quieter exhaust that adds some more character and raw sound at times...but doesnt sound like a folger can attached to your car! Rich, you guys have been great!
      12-15-2009, 05:37 AM   #152
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineo77 View Post
i am psyched to install my axle back this weekend, delivery day 12/17! I look forward to hearing how it actually sounds in real life. I love the option of a quieter exhaust that adds some more character and raw sound at times...but doesnt sound like a folger can attached to your car! Rich, you guys have been great!
+1 to everything you said, my axleback is also scheduled to arrive on the 17th, install on Sat! And Rich is great to work with, one of the few vendors that will write you back in a very timely manner and give you thorough answers to all of your questions. Now the wait begins for my midpipes!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 05:41 AM   #153
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Any soundclips for full downpipe back setup? I'm keen to hear how it sounds. This seems like one of the best value exhausts at the moment but I'm worried it might not be loud enough so I'm keen to hear a few more clips.

Do you still hear the pop and crackle noise? I particularly like that sound a lot. Also, I really like the design of the midpipes so that the mini resonators look like oem pipes.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 08:34 AM   #154
maddad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

BMW86 - this was posted a little earlier in this thread..which I know is getting long and I don't expect everyone to page through every post . This was our axleback with a CP-E catless midpipe. The sound is the same with our midpipe. I have one clip from the dyno pull I have not taken from my camera yet, and I will get out as soon as I can..but that's a loaded statement that could me a couple days or a couple weeks..that said this clip is what your looking for...downpipe back, and it wouldn't even matter who's midpipe. When you put more flow through the axleback this is what you hear. You do get just a hint of echo off the buildings(industrial park) at full throttle but you can clearly hear the sound character this exhaust makes. Obvously axleback alone has the volume turned town and it is quieter than the rest of the axleback sections on the market. I find sound clips do not do the axleback alone justice. I'll let other owners attest to that since I'm a little partial since this is my baby

Turn your volume up at 45 seconds in and listen for your snap crackle pop. The snap crackle pope can be heard all the time when going from on to off throttle at low rpms..You won't hear it when getting off throttle in the mid and upper ranges but it's constant when at lower rpms. Even the axleback alone has easily heard snap crackle pop at the lower rpm range.

Use this link if the video doe not show embedded below:

Last edited by maddad; 12-18-2009 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0