BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-02-2011, 05:58 AM   #1607
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari View Post
Way, the is a pic of the akra exhaust on the international forum, though hard to tell whether it really is the 1M version
Actually I have been informed that those images, I used the image in the "who has ordered a 1M" topic some time back, were actually of a X5/6///M system not a 1M hahaha

According to Andrew from SBM it is coming just not quite yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 06:01 AM   #1608
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

I might just keep my midpipes of the 135 and install them on the M.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #1609
Lima
vorsprung durch technik
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY10 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
A few observations from today - The pedals are offset a little to the right. I imagine this is the same for all manual 1 series. The offset isn't a problem but a minor niggle is that the footrest intrudes into the pedal area too much with the consequence that you have to angle your leg a slightly to avoid snagging your shoe on the rest when engaging the clutch. I suspect left hand drive cars don't have this problem. The steering wheel is too fat and squishy and the leather isn't textured enough. I think I will get that alcantara wheel. That's the niggles. The steering is fantastic. Slightly lacking in feel but very direct and quick. Easy to hold your line so a sneeze won't put you in the next lane. The gearbox is, naturally, still quite stiff but is still one of the best I have used. Excellent ratios that don't leave a hole in the rev range. Possibly the biggest surprise is the throttle response. Usually with a turbo you get a doughy kind of pedal, I'm not talking about acceleration here, I mean the blippiness of the throttle. It's way better than my 335i and that's the normal setting. Press the M button and it sharpens up markedly. The brake feel is excellent though typical modern car over assisted. Car makers just don't trust us to brake hard enough so they over boost the brakes. Consequently it takes more care than should be neccessary with fine braking as in trail braking and low speed heel and toe. I will probably adapt but I did go and see my tuner guy to see if he can tweak the pedal to be less sensitive. Acceleration is as you would expect very rapid. My N54 335i is tuned to 280 kw but the 1M has a much flatter and more linear delivery. There's no waiting for or guessing when the rush will come in, it's there straight away with virtually zero lag. The 1M's engine seems to be quite a bit smoother, almost a balanced and blueprinted engine feeling. A bit like the M3 engine now that I think of it. Maybe M division did tweak it a little. Being a manual also helps vs the steptronic in the 335i. Have only taken it out to 5000+ rpm today as it's pretty fresh. I don't baby a new motor but I will give things time to settle before pushing it. It corners very flat and you can definitely feel the M3 bushes endowing the chassis with a much more positive response compared to a standard setup. When you come to a stop it just stops rather than wobble around on the bushes as my 335i does. Rear end is a little jumpy over bumps and dips. Not as bad as an E46 M3 though. It was wet on the coast today so I couldn't push very hard. Still, grip level is very high and the intermediate traction setting is mucho fun. It has far more leniency than the nanny intermediate of the 335. And this is keeping it under 5500 rpm! Can't wait to play around in the dry when it's run in. Which brings me to the bad devil. It's probably too bold and early to call this car's character yet but I have to say that even on the first day it's talking to me. This car wants to play. It wants to have fun. If I am caught doing something naughty I will have to claim diminished responsibility. "It's not my fault, this car made me do it officer."
Thanks for the mini-review.
      06-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #1610
Steve Brown
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: June 2011, AW 1M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari View Post
Question for the few guys that have already taken delivery; any signs of the exhaust drone at highway speeds that seems to be getting attention in the international forum?
The only drone I'm experiencing is from the wife at about 140kmh telling me to slow down.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #1611
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Brown View Post
The only drone I'm experiencing is from the wife at about 140kmh telling me to slow down.
Heard that before Steve, an annoying noise isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #1612
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
So who's next to take delivery? Must be Alpine?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #1613
adrian@vishnu
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

There is a new black 1M sitting in my work car park. Never seen one before, and no idea who owns it.... caught me by surprise... but it looks nice!!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #1614
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

For current and future 1M owners, did you know or were you told that an M driver training day comes with the car? You get choice of tracks so I'm taking Phillip Island. BMW Aus' will call you in about 6 months after you've had familiarisation time in your car. I was told that the course is conducted by Geoff Brabham.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #1615
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
For current and future 1M owners, did you know or were you told that an M driver training day comes with the car? You get choice of tracks so I'm taking Phillip Island. BMW Aus' will call you in about 6 months after you've had familiarisation time in your car. I was told that the course is conducted by Geoff Brabham.
Hi Gazz..Sounds great..

Who gave you this info and when ?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #1616
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Been there done that when I bought my M3 (it was free), paid a discounted price for the Mrs to also attend. Was an awesome day, Geoff was the instructor that day too. There is nothing like being thrown the keys to someone elses M car and flogging it hehehehehe 240k/h down the main straight was a hoot too!

7 days to delivery, yippeeee (I hope we like the painted wheels)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #1617
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

[QUOTE=AlpineM3E92;9736188]7 days to delivery, yippeeee (I hope we like the painted wheels)[/QUOTE

Had a lk at a AW 1M at the dealer on Tuesday, and must say, that the wheels look awesome in their natural colour..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #1618
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Hi Gazz..Sounds great..

Who gave you this info and when ?
My sales guy at Lyntons when I picked up the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #1619
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Oh, excellent!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #1620
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Comp

Quote:
was bathurst not on the list?
      06-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #1621
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130iguy View Post
was bathurst not on the list?
'Fraid not. I wouldn't choose it anyway even though you use their cars. I'm sure that BMW would not let you loose on such a mistake unfriendly track.
However, a guy I know who owns a few mercs - an e63, a c63 and an ML something-or-other-massive went to a Mercedes day where MB had hired the full Bathurst track for 3 days. They were given free reign.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #1622
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Comp

Quote:
However, a guy I know who owns a few mercs - an e63, a c63 and an ML something-or-other-massive went to a Mercedes day where MB had hired the full Bathurst track for 3 days. They were given free reign.
yeh mercedes seem to love bathurst, i remember reading a while back that during a press day there one of the instructors lapped the circuit in a time very close to that of the V8 Supercars, when he pulled up his brakes promptly caught alight..

i would love to do one of those press events
      06-02-2011, 10:57 PM   #1623
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130iguy View Post
yeh mercedes seem to love bathurst, i remember reading a while back that during a press day there one of the instructors lapped the circuit in a time very close to that of the V8 Supercars, when he pulled up his brakes promptly caught alight..

i would love to do one of those press events
Bathurst Meh!

When I was at Nurburg last month there was a M school going all day. First they did the F1 circuit chasing a lead car then in the afternoon they did the Ring, now that would be cool!

I took these shots from our balcony at the Dorint Hotel, on pit straight.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 02:36 AM   #1624
lavaletta
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 04 3.0i Z4; 09 135i; VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
So who's next to take delivery? Must be Alpine?
My dealer rang me today. I'm picking the Angry Jaffa up at 2pm on Monday. A long, long, long weekend ahead!!
      06-03-2011, 03:40 AM   #1625
ol'mate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I remember reading a few months back that our Aussie 1M allocation was going to be boosted from Japan due to the Earthquake / Tsunami anyone know if this is still the case ?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 03:54 AM   #1626
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

I was told that it wasn't going to happen by my dealer. But who knows.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 05:00 AM   #1627
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavaletta View Post
My dealer rang me today. I'm picking the Angry Jaffa up at 2pm on Monday. A long, long, long weekend ahead!!
Good stuff Lava, the first of the 1Addicts Aus chapter to get a VO! Pic pics pics, let's say @ 2:20? Is that ok with you
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #1628
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'mate View Post
I remember reading a few months back that our Aussie 1M allocation was going to be boosted from Japan due to the Earthquake / Tsunami anyone know if this is still the case ?
Not happening, unfortunately for us, as a few more Aus' owners would be great.

Last edited by gazz; 06-03-2011 at 05:22 AM..
Appreciate 0