BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #155
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Well, at the very least I intend to annoy the hell out of any BMW folks reading the forums

And of course I'll make my displeasure known at the IAA. (In a professional manner at least)

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #156
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy_dunlop View Post
I have to stop reading this damn thread. Wake me up when something official is out. All I know for sure is my deposit is down at pentagon and they haven't told me anything else. So ill stay hopefully.
Of course they won't say anything, they're making interest on your money...and they'll keep it for as long as they can.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 06:22 AM   #157
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
My dealer wouldn't take a deposit for 2 reasons;
1: Military Sales cannot put an order into the order bank system and therefore a deposit means nothing.
2: As BBBluey stated above, my dealer felt that my $2k would better serve me by collecting interest in MY account as opposed to theirs.

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #158
BimmerJim
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
Last time I checked (admittedly this was in 03-04) you couldn't ship a POV without it being registered and if it's registered at least temporarily, most states want you to pay sales tax on it. But it IS an idea that I'll make a few calls on this week (Then I just need to find a US dealer with production slots, lol)
If you find one let us know.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 06:38 AM   #159
1Mer
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Well, at the very least I intend to annoy the hell out of any BMW folks reading the forums
It's working!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 07:04 AM   #160
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Thanks 1Mer, lol. The side-effect (I hope) is that they, being BMW, don't forget that the Military Sales customers are here. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that no one @ BMW even thought of offering the 1M to MSP until after customers started to complain. And to be honest, I know it sounds melodramatic but if BMW decides to leave the 1M completely out of the MSP, then the E91 I purchased last year may very well be my last BMW. And I'll certainly drop the idea of ever owning an M car.

Dr. Segler started the 1M off with some great marketing hype. Back to basics, M Pure, bringing ///M to the masses. And from that moment on (IMO), the bean counters have done everything they can to step back from those ideas.

Anyway, beneath the bitterness I'd like to think I have a few good points and would LOVE it if someone at BMW would actually read them

Edit: To add one more thought. I would still be happy, albeit disappointed, if BMW were to offer limited allocations to the Military Sales Program and I miss out. At least that would show me that BMW isn't dismissing me and the other MSP customers out of hand.

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #161
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
dmanges has every right to his/her opinion, the same as anyone else here. My guess would be that their comment originated from a sense of concern/worry for a loved one. I'm sure that many of us here can relate in some way. I don't see any harm in it as long as they don't get personal

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #162
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
dmanges has every right to his/her opinion, the same as anyone else here. My guess would be that their comment originated from a sense of concern/worry for a loved one. I'm sure that many of us here can relate in some way. I don't see any harm in it as long as they don't get personal
I'll keep my opinions reserved, and simply say, BMW please get Drillslinger his 1m!

I'm going to go get some fresh air, my hands are quite literally shaking in anger from what I think I just read.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.

Last edited by Augenbrauezug; 02-20-2011 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #163
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenbrauezug View Post
.................................................. ................... BMW please get Drillslinger his 1m!
Amen to that!

Last edited by Grey Dove; 02-20-2011 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #164
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenbrauezug View Post
I'll keep my opinions reserved,
By all means, share...

While I'll jump on the chance to buy a 1M, my main concern is what I view as an insult to the entire program. The (insert marketing catch phrase here) ///M car turns out to be too special, too limited to offer to everyone??? Hmm. As I said earlier, if BMW offers the 1M through Military Sales (with or without any discounts) and I miss out, then oh well, but at least the folks who qualify get the opportunity

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #165
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
Because you still have to send your car back to the states if you do ED. And buying from a stateside dealer and shipping it over would run anywhere from 2k to 4k over the price of the car.
Would the ED discount not cover most of the expenses?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #166
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
By all means, share...
I was in the process of editing my post, to further rip (the un-named) a new one, but the powers at be deleted both posts, for the better.

This seems like stating the obvious, but is there no one state side that can assist you with this? Seems to me that all you would need is someone willing to help you place a deposit, and grant them power of attorney. Family member perhaps?

I've got NO experience doing anything like this, and I'm sure you've exhausted all resources you can think of, it just is baffling that buying a car, even one that's 'limited' can be so difficult if you've got the finances.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #167
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs/e60/1m? View Post
Would the ED discount not cover most of the expenses?
Hmm, THAT'S something I haven't thought of. ASSuming I can get a US, ED allocation (lol) I could pick up "ED", drive my car for a while, send it back to family stateside, then ship it back over here to me.

I'll have to check and see if;
A: an ED car can be sent back somewhere other than the location of the "purchasing" dealer.
B: If I turn right around and send it back to Germany, would I have to pay local taxes?

Thanks!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 11:52 AM   #168
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, THAT'S something I haven't thought of. ASSuming I can get a US, ED allocation (lol) I could pick up "ED", drive my car for a while, send it back to family stateside, then ship it back over here to me.

A: an ED car can be sent back somewhere other than the location of the "purchasing" dealer.
B: If I turn right around and send it back to Germany, would I have to pay local taxes?

Thanks!
I've looked pretty extensively into ED, and BMW really checks to be sure that the person who bought the car at the dealership, is the same picking it up at Welt. Power of Attorney won't even work here. Though I don't have any idea how stringent this policy is.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #169
sho-one
MMA fighter and F1 test driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4///M coupe bulletproof

BMW, SUPPORT OUR TROOPS! I still have me deposit down, but maybe November is ridiculous. SAY FOR SURE NOVEMBER AND GIVE US ALLOCATIONS!
NOW:08 M.Coupe SMB #102/248 #1669/1815
:|MORRVS8|APEX8|SS.X-pipe|SS.PW.Loop|AFE.intake|Matte.grill|short.ant|Z HP.knob|interior.LED|bulletproof
09 Audi Q5

THEN:96Accord|98Camry|04TSX SC|06 M3|06A4|05Civic Si|05Imprezza|05S2000|08FJ
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #170
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Cool This might be remotely feasable!

Quote:

Thanks!
1. Performance delivery center; 218 fun miles from the VPC (Where you would ship your car to Germany.) Plus it's a no cost option beside you flying to SC to do PERFORMANCE delivery (Can you catch a HOP to Charelston?) and driving it stateside for a day or two. Awesome if you ask me. I'm starting to wish I was in your position,

2. Not if the vehicle only has dealer tags (temp tags) because it hasn't been registered and you most likely don't even reside in the state you purchased from. I believe I posted about this earlier in the thread and scanned a copy of the tax form (post #68 in this thread).

Hope that helps.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #171
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, I printed off a copy of that form and have a friend asking around the transportation office to see if I'm missing something

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #172
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Awesome. To be safe you may try finding one in Illinois so you KNOW the tax form exists. The dealer that prepared that was a very small BMW/Honda dealer. If you would like the contact info, let me know. They were great with me and gave me the Civic at MSRP, dealer options at MSRP with no mark-up while the rest of the country saw upwards of 5-10k markups.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #173
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Thanks
Right now I'm trying to confirm that everything is possible/realistic as far as transport goes. I also want to make sure that, since I shipped my MINI over here on my orders, I can ship the 1M back on orders and pay to ship the MINI (Less cost/weight/insurance/taxes to ship the MINI...)

You know... I've never worked so hard to spend a year's pay, lol

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #174
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Too bad you cant get an IPCOT/COT. That would give you another shipping entitlement one way at least.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #175
LofgrenCL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M, E89, E46

Bad Info Department

I am not sure where you got your info... But an IPCOT or a COT does not entitle you to ship another car at government expense. Please consult your Vehicle shipping office, JAG, or the JFTR for confirmation.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #176
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
I've only seen 3 people do it. So, if I go from a base in Germany, to a base in England, Italy, spain etc. How does my car get there? Hmmmmmm?

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0