BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #155
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

I do agree that the colors offered on the 1 aren't that great. I was pissed in 2008 that there was no space gray available, only sparkling graphite, which looked weird and purpley brown to me, and then space got offered the next year.

The reason I didn't get bluewater on my previous one is I was a little scared to order it sight unseen at the time and my previous car was almost the same color - a silvery blue. That guy who posted his bluewater with coral was quite bold and interesting.

And BP - I'd hardly say that I am a trendsetter, but won't argue too much with it. Sadly I don't want any others in my color. I'm all about burning bridges behind me. =) I do know that for me though, the mineral grey was EXACTLY what I wanted and more, though even after ordering I was second guessing myself.

Keep us updated Ian. There was one vermillion red IS for sale used with 755 miles on it at Silver Spring BMW or something in maryland. It's still available so you could probably see pics/videos of it, though it has taupe interior, which looks really bad with the glacier aluminum trim.

I say get the best of all worlds and get lemans with coral red. Or vermillion with coral red. =) Would definitely be...unique?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #156
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
I do agree that the colors offered on the 1 aren't that great. I was pissed in 2008 that there was no space gray available, only sparkling graphite, which looked weird and purpley brown to me, and then space got offered the next year.

The reason I didn't get bluewater on my previous one is I was a little scared to order it sight unseen at the time and my previous car was almost the same color - a silvery blue. That guy who posted his bluewater with coral was quite bold and interesting.

And BP - I'd hardly say that I am a trendsetter, but won't argue too much with it. Sadly I don't want any others in my color. I'm all about burning bridges behind me. =) I do know that for me though, the mineral grey was EXACTLY what I wanted and more, though even after ordering I was second guessing myself.

Keep us updated Ian. There was one vermillion red IS for sale used with 755 miles on it at Silver Spring BMW or something in maryland. It's still available so you could probably see pics/videos of it, though it has taupe interior, which looks really bad with the glacier aluminum trim.

I say get the best of all worlds and get lemans with coral red. Or vermillion with coral red. =) Would definitely be...unique?

I just looked at a 328 in vermillion on our lot. Looked better online...

We had an x1 with the corral red and while I'm not sure if I like it in the black car, I do like it a lot.

.... Just not enough to put it in a Le Mans blue car haha
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #157
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
Not even in the same galaxy. I wish the 1 came in what I consider an actual red color. Imola will be and is one of the greatest BMW colors ever offered. And Imola II (which is what I had) wasn't bad, either.

BW is not a mean/aggressive color, but on a 135i or a 135is, it accentuated its lines and purposeful design excellently. It's got more blue in it than Silverstone, which is also an awesome color.
You are definitely correct about the Imola, and the 1 series colors in general. While none are bad IMO, there aren't any that just amaze you. Each model should at least have one of those colors
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #158
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

I liked Montego Blue a lot on a 135, more than LeMans, but alas, that color is long gone.

I'm just glad that after 5 years, they finally offered a proper dark grey/charcoal. I was also pleased to see they brought carbon black to the 1 as I always loved that color on the older M3's.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #159
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E82 135is '13 E88 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp-plickner View Post
The Mineral Grey became quite popular. Must be all us folks copying greg the trend setter.
Mineral Gray is a great color, especially with the coral interior - I'd be in the club if it wasn't for the Carbon Black.

I actually liked the Sparkling Graphite, had it on my 2007 E90 - it changed colors based on the ambient lighting - as I recall, there were a bunch of bashing threads back in the day about how it looked purple, etc
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #160
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
I liked Montego Blue a lot on a 135, more than LeMans, but alas, that color is long gone.

I'm just glad that after 5 years, they finally offered a proper dark grey/charcoal. I was also pleased to see they brought carbon black to the 1 as I always loved that color on the older M3's.
Does carbon black have some blue in it as well? It appears on the website as being more of a really dark blue. I could live with that color...

How much was your defuser MB?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #161
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep

What kind of options and interior are you working with bama?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #162
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Carbon Black has some blue in it, hard to really get good pictures of it cause at times it looks like normal black, but in certain lights or direct sun at right angles, it has a hint of blue. Here's a good photo of in this thread that captures the blue.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...766514&page=36

And Bama, I had ordered my 2008 135 in sparkling graphite, thinking it was a pure charcoal/dark grey, but then saw one on a 3-series in person and wasn't quite what I wanted. I won't bash it, but it definitely was a very dynamic color that changed a lot depending on the lighting and sometimes it looks very similar to mineral grey, sometimes it even looks like space gray, and the day I went and saw it, it looked too much on the purpley side when I wanted a true gray/charcoal. Sent me scrambling, too and I ended up ordering titanium silver in a conservative move cause it was the safe choice.

So, the mineral grey is the color I really had always longed and dreamed for on this car.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #163
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M235i

I read a post on bimmerfest where some one commented on the blue in the carbon black

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=709221
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #164
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian.long View Post
What kind of options and interior are you working with bama?
Didn't realize it at the time I ordered, but I went with one of the more popular combos: Carbon over black leather w/blue stitching. Mine is one of the 15 MT so far.

I added Tech, Premium, heated seats and HK. Mineral Gray over Coral was a very close 2nd place.

Now if only it was in my garage, instead of heading to Spain on TORINO. It's due in 7/30 to Baltimore.

What color are you currently leaning towards? Did you place your order?

Last edited by Bama335; 07-19-2013 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #165
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep

Still haven't placed my order. I'm just as bad as some of my customers. I'm all over the place.

I will update the allocations left soon, I looked at it wrong last time, I was only in the southeast region. I believe there are around 9-11 left.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #166
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Many thanks to BP for sharing his data, I compared our two lists and found some omissions on both our parts

The build chart is up to date at 519 units plus one mystery unit which BP found, but which I couldn't seem to find in any of the VIN look ups (VM14436)

Sheesh, Ian - you better bust a move, they're gonna quit making these things sooner than later!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #167
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep

I know, trust me I will be ordering it as soon as I decide on a color. The factory shuts down in August from what I'm hearing.

On another note, what did y'all drive previous to your 135is? And how does it compare to this previous car?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #168
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep

Oh also, tomorrow I might be able to help with the mystery vin.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #169
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama335 View Post
Here are the color/interior distributions for 135is through 7/19 builds - coupes only.

BP was kind enough to share his data for comparison purposes, and as expected when you are manually entering a bunch of line data you find errors - I had missed some he had listed and vice versa - our latest count is 519 or 520 units, there is one he has listed that I can't seem to locate any build data - VM14436
Make that WBAUC9C54DVM13436 CARBONSCHWARZ 2 (668) METALLIC (416) LEDER BOSTON 2/SCHWARZ (LWSW) Sport gearbox with twin clutch 2012-08-03

Bama you are tightening this stuff up
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #170
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian.long View Post
I know, trust me I will be ordering it as soon as I decide on a color. The factory shuts down in August from what I'm hearing.

On another note, what did y'all drive previous to your 135is? And how does it compare to this previous car?
I had a 2005 MINI Cooper S track/street car and a 2005 330i ZHP. Got rid of the MINI because the ZHP was so good, then test drove the -is and got the itch.

Comparison is tough because I honestly think the ZHP will go down as the best car I've ever owned. I definitely miss it, mostly because I loved the interior so much (Alcantara/cloth). I don't like leather or leatherette; the ZHP ruined me for interiors other than cloth/alcantara forever.

ZHP was smoother and more refined. Less rattles and buzzes, more composed in general. The combo of the ZHP package - the sum of its parts - was just perfect for me.

The 1er is the right size and feel compared to the ZHP. The steering is just right. The suspension on the runflats isn't as bad as people will tell you. There is a lot more highway road noise on the 1er. Power-wise, the two cars aren't in the same galaxy. And again, the sum of the parts is, for me, just right in this 135is package.

They're two different cars with two different goals, albeit with similar MSRP (inflation not accounted for) 8 years apart. I hope the 1er grows on me as the ZHP did - it's off to a good start!

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #171
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
I had a 2005 MINI Cooper S track/street car and a 2005 330i ZHP. Got rid of the MINI because the ZHP was so good, then test drove the -is and got the itch.

Comparison is tough because I honestly think the ZHP will go down as the best car I've ever owned. I definitely miss it, mostly because I loved the interior so much (Alcantara/cloth). I don't like leather or leatherette; the ZHP ruined me for interiors other than cloth/alcantara forever.

ZHP was smoother and more refined. Less rattles and buzzes, more composed in general. The combo of the ZHP package - the sum of its parts - was just perfect for me.

The 1er is the right size and feel compared to the ZHP. The steering is just right. The suspension on the runflats isn't as bad as people will tell you. There is a lot more highway road noise on the 1er. Power-wise, the two cars aren't in the same galaxy. And again, the sum of the parts is, for me, just right in this 135is package.

They're two different cars with two different goals, albeit with similar MSRP (inflation not accounted for) 8 years apart. I hope the 1er grows on me as the ZHP did - it's off to a good start!
Very interesting. I am very familair with the Mini's as well. My dealership is bmw/mini and everyone but me in my immediate family currently owns one. The supercharger on the r53's is such a wonderful sound but for me I was never that crazy about front wheel drive cars. If you have ever heard of the GP then you have probably seen the alcantara recaros that it comes with. I'm with you on the fact that once you sit in a material (and a seat) like that, everything else is kind of a let down. If I could get the old hurricane cloth or alcantara vader's if you have ever seen those from the e36 m3 I would be ecstatic. I believe we are probably pretty similar about what we want in a car.

The reason that I'm asking this is really just because some of the new bmw's I have driven are a little boring and I'm wondering if the people saying the 1 is a really fun car have driven other great cars. In your case you have so thanks for the input.

I always get a little nervous+anxious I made the right decision when buying a car.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #172
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep

Ordered this morning....
I ended up going with Alpine White over Coral Red, 6MT, and Harmon Kardon.

And then immediately regretted it.

I ended up going with my original build, lemans blue, black with blue stitching, HK, heated seats, 6mt.

Did anyone else have this amount of trouble picking a color?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #173
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama335 View Post
Many thanks to BP for sharing his data, I compared our two lists and found some omissions on both our parts

The build chart is up to date at 519 units plus one mystery unit which BP found, but which I couldn't seem to find in any of the VIN look ups (VM14436)

Sheesh, Ian - you better bust a move, they're gonna quit making these things sooner than later!
VM14436 doesn't register as a VIN in BMWNA according to my resources.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #174
bp-plickner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ian, yep that was a typo is should have been WBAUC9C54DVM13436
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #175
Gator135
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is Coupe 6MT

Yes, I had trouble picking a color, too.

Already have a Space Gray/Coral which I think is one of the best combinations but had to change it up with the 135is.

Ended up with Lemans/Oyster, but I think that Montego Blue was a nicer blue but is no longer available.

Mineral Gray looks great but too close to my Space Gray, so not enough of a change.

Even thought about Vermillion because I've never seen one ever on a 135i Coupe let alone a 135is.

Happy with the choice of Lemans. It looks good in pics that others have posted.

By the way, you won't regret getting a 135is. These cars are great drivers' cars and highly underrated. If you like RWD compact Coupes with lots of power!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #176
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp-plickner View Post
Ian, yep that was a typo is should have been WBAUC9C54DVM13436
That is carbon black with Boston leather, DCT

Gator- I think with any of these colors it depends on what you want the car for and what, if any mods you are going to do. In my quest for pictures I even found a cashmere 135is that was blacked out, carbon fiber lip, diffuser, spoiler, etc. and it looked awesome. I actually considered vermillion as well but thought it was a little too burgundy for me. While I don't think you can go wrong with a color you can definitely go right and have one fit you more than another.
Appreciate 0