BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #177
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Protonic Blue i3 REx

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelk View Post
page 6 actually.... so where's the _rest_ of the catalog??? :biggrin:

bmw is very clever in finding ways to squeeze $$ out of me.

I dont see it other than that cut and paste. but yeah where's the rest of the brochure? any other goodies?:roundel:
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 04:15 PM   #178
fventura
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
I don't see a reason to put a turbo-four in this. Why not up the boost a tad on the TT6, add an LSD and lower the weight. This would be a beast. Getting a slightly lighter but slower Tii doesn't seem to be the way to go.

why not ?

What if it had 250hp, and the car was 350 lighter ? it would have about the same straight line performance. But, it could be a much more fun to drive.
Possibly less expensive than if built with the 6cyl engine.
Not very good for the traffic light grand prix, but a super fun car !

The lighter non turbo 6cyl pumped to about 270hp would be nice too. ( it's 150lbs lighter than the turbo, right?)

The secret will be how they are going to balance cost and performance,it looks really good visually. ( well, minus the stripes....)

bring it on !
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 04:28 PM   #179
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

A bigger engine doesn't necessarily means a heavier engine. Just look at the new M3 v8, it is lighter than the old M3 I6. If there is a M1 I am speculating it will have a twin turbo I6 with improved internals to reduce weight and increase rev limits.
      10-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #180
tilldayfalloff
Rep
Drives: watining on 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm3tt View Post
It shows an identical to the 135i, 7000rpm redline. So it's not going to be a 4cyl turbo as suspected. It will be the same 3.0L TT.

i did not read the entire thread but if i remember correctly it is a 2.0l twin turbo.....isnt that the official rally displacement?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 05:18 PM   #181
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

This design concept is pretty in-depth. BMW has a Porsche-killer on their hands..!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 05:33 PM   #182
fventura
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
A bigger engine doesn't necessarily means a heavier engine. Just look at the new M3 v8, it is lighter than the old M3 I6. If there is a M1 I am speculating it will have a twin turbo I6 with improved internals to reduce weight and increase rev limits.
yes, but...

the twin turbo is 150lbs heavier than the the regular inline 6, no magnesium because of the strength required to deal with the extra power, etc.
...and making it into a full blown M motor would be a lot of $$$.
The 4cyl twin turbo would be lighter anyway, also would allow for better balance, it's also shorter. ( can be mounted closer to the center of the car.)
...this would allow for more weight to be removed from the rear of the car, and still keep it 50/50.

hey, if they went crazy why not a sequential twin turbo 4 ? A la 959 ?

hmm, never mind, that would start to be lotsa $$$.....

later !
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 06:08 PM   #183
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by fventura View Post
yes, but...

the twin turbo is 150lbs heavier than the the regular inline 6, no magnesium because of the strength required to deal with the extra power, etc.
...and making it into a full blown M motor would be a lot of $$$.
The 4cyl twin turbo would be lighter anyway, also would allow for better balance, it's also shorter. ( can be mounted closer to the center of the car.)
...this would allow for more weight to be removed from the rear of the car, and still keep it 50/50.

hey, if they went crazy why not a sequential twin turbo 4 ? A la 959 ?

hmm, never mind, that would start to be lotsa $$$.....

later !

Whaaa...? :iono:

Here:
"As effective as the magnesium/aluminum engine construction is for saving weight, the significantly increased loads and cylinder pressures of the N54 300-hp engine required the use of an aluminum engine structure with cast-iron cylinder sleeves. Of course, some, but not all, of the N52's magnesium/aluminum weight saving was lost.

Altogether, the N54 weighs 419 lb.; the N52 357 lb."

Not sure where you got your info, but the biturbo-6, only weighs 62lbs more....!

Not sure people are grasping how awsome this engine really is, let alone what can be done to it. If BMW wants a racing version, they'll up the performance and the cooling and you siting at 350hp/350 ft-lb able to track all day.

Add the fact that the Tii concept is centered around weight savings and refined chasis, BMW enthusiasts are looking at a Porsche Killer...!

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 06:48 PM   #184
fventura
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Whaaa...? :iono:

Here:
"As effective as the magnesium/aluminum engine construction is for saving weight, the significantly increased loads and cylinder pressures of the N54 300-hp engine required the use of an aluminum engine structure with cast-iron cylinder sleeves. Of course, some, but not all, of the N52's magnesium/aluminum weight saving was lost.

Altogether, the N54 weighs 419 lb.; the N52 357 lb."

Not sure where you got your info, but the biturbo-6, only weighs 62lbs more....!

Not sure people are grasping how awsome this engine really is, let alone what can be done to it. If BMW wants a racing version, they'll up the performance and the cooling and you siting at 350hp/350 ft-lb able to track all day.

Add the fact that the Tii concept is centered around weight savings and refined chasis, BMW enthusiasts are looking at a Porsche Killer...!

-Garrett

Alright then........
I thought I read it somewhere it was 150lbs, no mag plus the turbos etc..
62lbs is just fine then. I know it's one hell of a motor.
But I still think a super light tti with a turbo 4 would be cool too.

Anyway, I just hope it's not just marketing BS, and fails to deliver.

Fabio
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 08:55 PM   #185
pxd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert View Post
M cars will never have an F/I engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 09:14 PM   #186
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrototypeX View Post
M cars will never have an F/I engine.

I wouldn't say never.. Just haven't in the past :roundel:
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 09:21 PM   #187
fventura
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattbam View Post
I wouldn't say never.. Just haven't in the past :roundel:

it is against everything they preach.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 09:58 PM   #188
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

^ and thats why I doubt it will be called an "M" anything...

I bet it will be called a 1XXtii, or 1XX CSL...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 11:52 PM   #189
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

The BMW Concept 1 Series tii

The BMW Concept 1 Series tii

October 25th, 2007

Agility, lightness, youthfulness and superior sportiness – all these features are present and impressively highlighted in the new BMW Concept 1 Series tii.

Based on the new BMW 1 Series Coupé, and presented at the Tokyo Motor Show 2007, this fascinating design study is the consistent evolution of BMW’s compact two-door with a clear focus on uncompromising sportiness.

With its aerodynamically optimised body, a wide range of lightweight features serving to minimise the weight of the car and its axle load distribution, as well as an interior tailored specifically to the ambitious driver, this concept study clearly offers a high level of driving dynamics right from the start.

BMW Concept 1 Series tii offers a highly concentrated rendition of the brand’s sporting genes, at the same time proving the dynamic character of BMW’s compact two-door in offering the ultimate in driving pleasure.

In its design, BMW Concept 1 Series tii clearly takes up the traditional features and characteristics of successful BMW sports cars in the past.

At very first sight the beholder will see features which made numerous BMW Coupés an outstanding success on both the road and the race track back in the 1960s and ’70s.

These were cars characterised by compact dimensions, low weight with perfect balance front-to-rear, as well as powerful engines conveying their superior muscle to the rear wheels.

Particularly the BMW 02 introduced back in 1966 was acknowledged as the epitome of supreme agility and thrilling, highly dynamic driving characteristics based on these success factors.

And now the new BMW 1 Series Coupé represents the same philosophy: Light, agile, and powerful, this compact two-door with its unparalleled, ultra-sporting handling provides an unprecedented experience at the wheel.

The similarities between these two models result in particular from the concept of the car, BMW Concept 1 Series tii bringing out all these strengths and clearly demonstrating how much the development principles applied more than four decades ago are still most appropriate today in creating sports models truly fascinating in every respect.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 12:09 AM   #190
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [10.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [10.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelk View Post
page 6 actually.... so where's the _rest_ of the catalog??? :biggrin:

bmw is very clever in finding ways to squeeze $$ out of me.

You know, you don't have to be a jerk about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 10:13 AM   #191
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

The new BMW Concept 1 tii is a Drifter's Dream

The new BMW Concept 1 tii is a Drifter's Dream

Posted on Thu, 25 Oct 2007 08:36:19 CDT | by Luigi Lugmayr

When I first saw the BMW 1 Coupe, I really did not like it. This new BMW Concept 1 tii version that BMW shows at the Tokyo Auto Show makes me love the new shape.

The BMW Concept 1 tii has an impressive 306hp and a theoretical top speed of 275km/h (~171mph) (electronically leveled at 250km/h). The weight of this little fast sports car has been reduced with carbon parts.

The white paint job is accented with black racing stripes across the car.

As the name already states this is concept car, which is too bad, as this would definitely be a hit for young drivers who currently drive mostly Japanese cars.

Autoblog has a huge photo gallery of the BMW Concept 1 Series tii.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 10:16 AM   #192
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
You know, you don't have to be a jerk about it.
dude i think you misinterpreted my tone. i wasn't trying to give you a hard time. i was curious myself and went back and looked.... just spreading the info i found. no offense meant. :drinking:
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 10:17 AM   #193
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Statement by BMW's Stefan Krause at the Tokyo Motor Show 2007

Statement by BMW's Stefan Krause at the Tokyo Motor Show 2007

The BMW Concept 1 Series tii is yet another world premiere.

It is a design and concept study based on the new BMW 1 Series Coupe. You can see immediately that this study has uncompromising motor sports heritage. It continues our legacy of small, sporty coupes. This car shows BMW's classical brand values in a very fresh, passionate fashion. It is quite possible that some of the ideas and elements from this concept study may find their way into future models.

In our opinion, there is no need to renounce premium and sheer driving pleasure in the compact segment. We have proven this with the BMW 1 Series. It is no wonder, then, that the BMW 1 Series Coupeis the only European car in the 5th edition of the computer car racing game "Gran Turismo."
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 10:33 AM   #194
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dna550 View Post
It is no wonder, then, that the BMW 1 Series Coupeis the only European car in the 5th edition of the computer car racing game "Gran Turismo."

whatchu talkin bout Stefan??

Only Euro car in GT5?? Huh???

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 10:42 AM   #195
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Tokyo Motor Show: Unbearable Lightness of Bimmer

October 24, 2007, 9:03 pm
Tokyo Motor Show: Unbearable Lightness of Bimmer

By Jerry Garrett

BMW Concept 1 Series tii
(Photo by Koichi Kamoshida/Getty Images)
More photos from Tokyo

BMW unwrapped a comparatively big surprise from a rather small package at the Tokyo Motor Show: a lightweight motorsports-focused version of its recently announced 1 Series compact sports machine. This new model is called the tii, in honor of a 1971 version of the adored BMW 2002.

The original tii was a lightweight, wide-track, sportier version of its two-door 2002 with wider wheels and tires, beefier brakes and a special mechanical fuel-injection system. It is a fairly hot collectible now.

The new Concept 1 Series tii sports its ancestor’s design philosophy of “agility, lightness, youthfulness, and superior sportiness,” says BMW. Under the hood, there wasn’t much room for improvement - literally or figuratively - with the 300-horsepower twin-turbo, direct-injection 3-liter in-line six already announced for the 135i, which goes on sale in the United States next spring. Where the tii is different from the 135i is on the scales. The 1 Series tii features a feather-light carbon fiber package that includes the side air intakes in the front air dam, the mirrors, a spoiler, a twin-blade rear diffuser and the hood - which left in a cool matte finish.

Aerodynamic efficiency is a priority on the tii concept; the hood has air guidance strips on its outer edges, the front fascia air-splitters channel air to the side intakes (and out, under the car) and side sills further refine air flow.

(Photo by Ken Shimizu/Agence France-Presse/Getty Images)

Visually the tii is distinguished (or at least it was when shown here) by a kidney-free honeycomb grille and white paint with black with blue accents. Inside, it gets a special Alcantara leather treatment with fancy stitching. Other upgrades include leather-covered steering wheel, shifter and dash. The instrument cluster is dominated by a black-on-white tachometer. A nice touch: silver seat belts.

No word on whether the tii is ticketed for production; it would most likely appeal to a small audience of cash-flush compact tuner enthusiasts. But BMW does like to issue higher performance versions of its various series of automobiles through its M-Power skunkworks. So what the tii is more likely to portend is a more performance-oriented “M1″ or 1-Series CSL.

Enough is never enough, is it?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 11:58 AM   #196
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post

whatchu talkin bout Stefan??

Only Euro car in GT5?? Huh???

Maybe just for the prologue demo I hope..:frown::iono:
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 12:00 PM   #197
imported_moto_za
Private
Rep
Drives:

when is the tii expected to be released??
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 12:34 PM   #198
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

^ lol, your guess is a good as mine...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15