BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: What's your annual income?
under 30k 29 8.01%
30k-40k 22 6.08%
40k-50k 27 7.46%
50k-60k 27 7.46%
60k-70k 38 10.50%
70k-80k 41 11.33%
80k-100k 50 13.81%
100k-150k 66 18.23%
150k-250k 33 9.12%
over 250k 29 8.01%
Voters: 362. You may not vote on this poll

11-12-2007, 06:51 AM   #177
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaking View Post
I skipped right to the last page, let's be honest, I would say that if most of us could (or want to afford) a 335, we would be driving 1 now. That is why we are looking at a 135, very quick, great handling, and somewhat affordable. I have a 2006 G35 coupe, which I do love, but the prospects of what this 1 series could be, is impressive. I am on the list and not sure if I will buy 1, it does look a little cheaper, however, I can get passed that if I can get zero to 60 in less than 5 seconds and have an autocross king. Interior on the 3 series, and the 1, is nothing to write home about, I will have to see it in person to make the final decision. My 2 cents.

Perhaps you should go back to the first page and read this whole thread...

Because, you know what happens when you "assume" ...!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 09:52 AM   #178
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khobin~ View Post
Don't forget

6) How much they really paid for that car...i.e. "I paid invoice for my <insert car>"

Also:

7) I've gone 165mph down the interstate.
      11-12-2007, 10:37 AM   #179
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
I skipped right to the last page, let's be honest, I would say that if most of us could (or want to afford) a 335, we would be driving 1 now. That is why we are looking at a 135, very quick, great handling, and somewhat affordable. I have a 2006 G35 coupe, which I do love, but the prospects of what this 1 series could be, is impressive. I am on the list and not sure if I will buy 1, it does look a little cheaper, however, I can get passed that if I can get zero to 60 in less than 5 seconds and have an autocross king. Interior on the 3 series, and the 1, is nothing to write home about, I will have to see it in person to make the final decision. My 2 cents.
I could afford an M6 if I wanted. I'm choosing to wait for the 135, Ill wait for a Tii if they announce something concrete.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #180
mexglx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Coming out of an '97 A3 Jetta, VR6. Had it since new 10 years ago. Paid aoff for 5 of those. It was a quick and fun ride. Still is. I want great bang for the buck ride w/euro feel and interior and can't pass up the HUGE HP upgrade!!!!. Like a number of folks who mentioned the importance of fiscal conservatism we put most of our money to the mortgage to pay off early and have no bills outside of utilities and insurance. Our dual income is great right now and as soon as we pay our place off in 5-6 years, she will quit working and we'll start the family with everything paid off. While I could buy a new M3 it would prevent me from paying off the house early. A $50-$60K car isn't worth the $100K's of dollars in interest we'd pay on the mortgage if we go 30 years. Probably pay off the car in 2-3 years then every extra dime to mortgage after that.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 01:23 PM   #181
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casius View Post
This thread has totally derailed.....

...Is this really about retirement, good investments, etc? Aren't brand new cars bad investments? I don't really see the point in talking about any of this on a car forum....

....Also, is it necessary to say 'Garrett' in almost every paragraph? Sounds like you're his Father scolding him...
This thread is about whatever the posters want to write about, and should only be limited by the discretion of the moderators.....you, as the reader/member, can choose to contribute or not as you have that right....yes, most new cars are bad investments, but many are made worse by the financial situation of the buyer.....there must be some interest in this when you consider the number of posts, so there is validity and a "point" to this thread....how boring would it be to just post about specs on every thread....also, i write the name Garrett alot because i like the name...What do you care anyway?...dont read it if it bothers you so much....

=
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 01:53 PM   #182
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
I learned my finances at the age of 10, with the use of an allowance. I saved and bought nice things.... quality things I still have to this day.

I agree everyone has a different view of how to retire. But I am confused as to why you cannot tour the planet now... while your young and share those memories with your kids? Chances are your not going to live to see the better part of your retirement. Do it now!

Personel Finanaces can be taught in school... but like you said, nothing beats the school of hard knocks. Thats were an allowance and the need to buy everything (at age 10) turn into steadfast control to buy only things that matter and not whats on a comercial. It's called self control and that needs to be taught at home at an early age. Not in school where there is no self control on anything.

Perhaps that grocery bagger owned BMW's all his life... traveled the globe, is slowing down and is now on a strict budget because he spent all his money persueing the same things you wanted to do... be he already did! Now, he is home and spends times with his grandchildren telling them stories and living his golden years, not worn out from treveling, but with a smile on his face that his memories and adventures are now forever imprinted in his family tree.

As your health fails... nothing becomes fun. But it is nice to be around family! I've watched too many dreams like yours get shattered because people decided to wait till retirement to do what you've just said. By the time I'm 50 I would've have been to all those places.

Your kids don't want your money, that want your life experiences and to remember your passing with "He lived a full life" ..!
1) Thats great you got an allowance.....theres much more to personal finance than that though....if everyone learned all there was to know to prosper from getting an allowance, do you think we'd be the "debtor" nation we are now?

2) I cant tour the planet now b/c I have a job that gives me 3 weeks vacation a year, and I have 3 kids 11 and under.... 2 out of
3 of my kids dont have the stamina for touring the way i would like to, which requires miles of walking....In the meantime, we do "family" trips....Walt Disney World, Disney Cruises,family stuff like that....i also want to pay for all 3 of my kid's higher education, rather than saddle them with thousands of $s in school loans....thus, I'll forego the trips now, take care of my kids, and have the $ in 20 years to come and go as i please....

3) "Chances are I'm not going to live to see the better part of my retirement?" - Thanks for the vote of confidence Garrett - I dont live in Chernobyl - barring any unforeseen accident or illness, I expect to be able to travel in good health after retirement for a good 15 years....20 years from now, 60 years old will not be ancient(nor is it now)

4) i didnt write "nothing beats the school of hard knocks"....I wish i did things differently 15 years ago....I dont fault my parents for not teaching me the intricacies of personal finance, as my dad worked until 10 pm every night....I would have benefitted from a good class in it though.....

5) Garrett you are drawing ridiculous conclusions about my example of the grocery bagger - it was meant to be an example of someone who is forced to work in a job well after retirement age because a) they were squeezed out of their lifelong profession due to age discrimination and b) they didnt save any $ to retire....nothing more nothing less, why are you making these inferences????.....ok, heres one thats no more outlandish than yours.....while he was reading to his grandchildren, a big tornado whipped up,and a tree branch knocked him unconscious....when he woke up, everything was in technicolor and he was far far from home.....there was a good witch, and a bad witch who was pissed at him because the house landed on her sister...and also the supermarket was pissed because he didnt show up for his shift.....

6) as for seeing peoples dreams shattered because of poor health, I would rather bank on technology and my commitment to clean living that will allow me in 20 years when I'm 60 to live like a king vs watching every dime and have less power and options to change my fortunes.....people can live well now AND save prodigiously toward a great retirement...

7) again you are making inferences....this post was not about "me", nor was it about "you".....it's about common sense....I live in S FLA Garrett, where theres alot of miserable older people without a pot to piss in....their big day out is buying cucumbers and tomatoes at Publix....i dont want to worry about $ when I'm older

if every 22 year old contributed 10% to a 401k and max to a Roth every year, they would be very rich at 60 years old....thats a fact.....

Casius...this is for you....Garrett, Garrett , Garrett....3x - Jack's favorite number.....:wink:

=
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 01:54 PM   #183
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
3.We Were on a break.. lol.. so yea sure
4. 2700 a Month, Thaks to Uncle Sam its currently Tax free...
5. Max out at 240

so I made about 32.5K this year, and I have avg about 4 new relationships a year.

So Come January I get a Raise and look forward to 4 new women in my life, "Very Nice" :biggrin:

Plus a 1 year deployment to Iraq in May of 2008 so I should make about 45K in 2008 and have a nice chunk of change in my retirement fund, and in my BMW Fund...

So In the Summer of 2009 I can Look forward to a Brand New 2010 135i, If that is the car to drive at the time ofcourse

=
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 02:14 PM   #184
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I could afford a 335 but i dont like it....just ok styling IMO, overpriced and a poor value for what you get, especially the coupe.....from whats been printed about the 135, it is a tremendous car and great value, and more interesting style-wise......I'm looking for a better alternative to the G37, which I think Infiniti missed the mark on...too heavy and slow....I dont know for sure, but I think the 135 will be exactly what I'm looking for, and will be confirmed when i drive it...very fast, decent handling, reasonably luxurious and under 40k....not everyone here has a love affair with BMW....for 48k BTW, I'd drive a new A5....

=
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #185
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

I think this should be the last word on the subject.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 02:57 PM   #186
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #187
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Priceless (no pun intended).
Best post of the month nomination..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 03:50 PM   #188
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

LMFAO

=
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #189
bavarianbutcher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series BMW

Lol that is pretty funny. Who here payed straight up cash for their house though? I know it's possible for some but without loans America would be about par with Somalia. College is another thing! Luckily my parents took care of most all of mine except the semester past the fourth year but without that which many kids today have to deal with I couldn't even imagine!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 04:52 PM   #190
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianbutcher View Post
Lol that is pretty funny. Who here payed straight up cash for their house though? I know it's possible for some but without loans America would be about par with Somalia. College is another thing! Luckily my parents took care of most all of mine except the semester past the fourth year but without that which many kids today have to deal with I couldn't even imagine!
again we agree!!!!!!!

=
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #191
CAW_135
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Hilarious!!! I love it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 08:26 PM   #192
mkiiieustyle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mk3 vr6 jetta, soon to be 135i

i have alway's hated any kind of credit card or loan but if i REALLY need one then i will get it. i just bought my first home so i needed a loan there, i have never bought a new car the 1 series will be my first nor have i ever had a loan for one. people these day's aren't patient enough to save for anything, in today's world of quick and easy access to anything why would they save, it's so much easier just to use a little plastic card and pay it off in little peaces over an extended period of time, because when you use the card your not thinking man i'm going to paying for this plasma t.v. for the next 8 months and pay more, people have just become lazy over the years, they don't want to have to save for a couple of months and then buy the t.v. they want it there and then it's actually kind of sad in my opinion.

SNL clip was great....
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #193
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

What you say is true, especially in the case of a TV. But sometimes you can put it on a credit card and get good deals like "Pay no interest for _ months", then it makes a lot of sense to buy that TV with that deal.
      11-12-2007, 10:50 PM   #194
bavarianbutcher
Private First Class
Rep

Or skymiles!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #195
bavarianbutcher
Private First Class
Rep