BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2011, 12:09 AM   #45
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
What day have you booked for..Whats the charge at Advan for the dyno?
There is nothing booked at this point. I think Peter mentioned $80 for a dyno but don't quote me. Will post a separate thread about it

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #46
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
There is nothing booked at this point. I think Peter mentioned $80 for a dyno but don't quote me. Will post a separate thread about it
Thats cool Kenny.. $80 is about average..Please keep us informed when you have a date in mind..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 12:17 AM   #47
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

@1q2w3e4r nice username, one of our clients uses this as a password :P
      04-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #48
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Adrian, I discussed this with Tunehouse after our last discussion and they assured me the most variance would be 3 to 4% over a DD dyno..Which would equate to 7.5 to 10kw if that..

My bad, as I should have gone straight back to ALS and used his Dyno..Might still do that..
It is in Tunehouses interest for customers to think that. I can assure you that their claim goes totally against the accepted norm for dynapack dynos vs DD dynos. Go to the MRT Performance web site and they use a hub dyno and state that it reads higher. Typically standard WRXs read about 50kW less than factory claimed flywheel power on a DD. On the MRT dynapack they read about 20kW less. It stands to reason also.... it takes alot of power to spin up those heavy wheels, and dynapack does not If I had the time I would dig up some graphs for various cars tested on both. All read alot more than 4% higher on dynapack.... but whatever makes you sleep better....

Fact remains you are not comparing apples with apples. Hub dynos read differently... this is well known on Automotive forums all over the world. Even many roller dynos read different, but within the same brand of dyno you should get some consistency atleast, and in Australia, the defacto standard is dynodynamics.

Bring your car to Advan for a run Zuzu, and then we have your apple to compare with the other apples.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 12:43 AM   #49
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu View Post
It is in Tunehouses interest for customers to think that. I can assure you that their claim goes totally against the accepted norm for dynapack dynos vs DD dynos. Go to the MRT Performance web site and they use a hub dyno and state that it reads higher. Typically standard WRXs read about 50kW less than factory claimed flywheel power on a DD. On the MRT dynapack they read about 20kW less. It stands to reason also.... it takes alot of power to spin up those heavy wheels, and dynapack does not If I had the time I would dig up some graphs for various cars tested on both. All read alot more than 4% higher on dynapack.... but whatever makes you sleep better....

Fact remains you are not comparing apples with apples. Hub dynos read differently... this is well known on Automotive forums all over the world. Even many roller dynos read different, but within the same brand of dyno you should get some consistency atleast, and in Australia, the defacto standard is dynodynamics.

Bring your car to Advan for a run Zuzu, and then we have your apple to compare with the other apples.
Adrian.. I am not disputing your wealth of knowledge when it come to tuning and dyno's..

I have already agreed with Kenny to meet for the Advan dyno day when he makes a booking if I am available.

I am just informing you on what information has been relayed to me from Tune house..

["Whatever makes you sleep better"].. Come on mate.. I am not a tosser who talks out of school for my own gratification or self worth..

Chill out..

Joe

Last edited by Zuzu; 04-27-2011 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #50
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Adrian.. I am not disputing your wealth of knowledge when it come to tuning and dyno's..

I have already agreed with Kenny to meet for the Advan dyno day when he makes a booking if I am available.

I am just informing you on what information has been relayed to me from Tune house..

["Whatever makes you sleep better"].. Come on mate.. I am not a tosser who talks out of school for my own gratification or self worth..

Chill out..

Joe
Sorry to come down on you mate, and I misunderstood your previous post. I read it as "Tunehouse says this so this must be the truth". I have worked with many workshops around Sydney (including tunehouse... lets just say I was there to impart knowledge on them... not the other way around), and I know which ones have good knowledge and skills. A comment like that from tunehouse does not warrant much respect IMHO. So apologies for that comment mate.... Somtimes my past can rev me up a bit. The truth is that there are far more after self gratification then not in this world of forums, but I should give people the benefit of the doubt.

I look forward to seeing what your car does put out at Advan. Your car is a healthy car no doubt, and will be interesting for the dyno comparison.

Cheers,

Adrian
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 01:03 AM   #51
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Point well made Adrian. The good thing about this little neck of the woods is there is low ego and higher maturity than most. Good pace to be around, to learn about how to modify our cars, what to avoid and some interesting reading at the same time.

I'm glad we can discuss things amongst ourselves without people getting into an e-frenzy like i've seen in other places!

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 05:32 AM   #52
DMM
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ask my bank

Good work Justin!

I'm very interested to see the results of changing the cooler - specifically now that the airbox has the ability supply a higher volume of air at higher air speeds!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 07:04 AM   #53
JD75
JDTuning
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive,G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Looks good!

I'm particularly interested in;
- Stett Performance stage 2 oil cooler kit with 82 degrees Celsius thermostat option.
So the cooler kit provides a thermostat that bypasses the cooler to allow the engine to heat up to 82 degrees before opening? (sounds good).

- The transmission oil was replaced with Redline D4 ATF at around 11,500 km.
Did this improve the shift action?

Cheers, Tim.
Thanks Tim.

IIRC the documents supplied with the Mocal thermostat, indicate it's not fully closed, even when the engine is stone cold.

As such it will allow a small amount of oil to pass through the Setrab core, prior to opening completely when the oil temp exceeds 82 degrees Celsius.

The thermostat is optional with both the Stage 1 and Stage 2 kits.

However I strongly suggest buying it, as it will allow your engine oil to reach its optimum operating temperature more quickly.

The Redline D4 ATF improved shift action, but it was not super significant.

Bear in mind that the oil in the tranny, was not that old.

I suspect if you were to change the transmission oil in a car that had a lot more "tuned" kilometres on it, the improvement would be far more significant.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #54
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
I'm happy to do some same day dyno runs with Justin's car there if there's some data point we can lock down. It's a good opportunity to have two cars in the community at the same workshop and the same dyno machine.
Hey Kenny,

sounds like a plan mate.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #55
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
Point well made Adrian. The good thing about this little neck of the woods is there is low ego and higher maturity than most. Good pace to be around, to learn about how to modify our cars, what to avoid and some interesting reading at the same time.

I'm glad we can discuss things amongst ourselves without people getting into an e-frenzy like i've seen in other places!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #56
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

I think it's time to have all us guys meet at a dyno venue for social meet and do some power runs for fun. All 1ers and 3ers welcome. Would be alot of fun and we could all compare power figures (not a mines bigger or better than yours thing).
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #57
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu View Post
Thanks Justin for posting this info up to benefit all. There is often glory runs posted up here, but not often people take the time to detail which mods are most effective.
Hey Adrian,

thank you for your valuable input.

I look forward to reading more posts, that relate to the technical aspects of dynamometres and of course "tuning" of the N54 platform.

Cheers mate.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #58
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMM View Post
Good work Justin!

I'm very interested to see the results of changing the cooler - specifically now that the airbox has the ability supply a higher volume of air at higher air speeds!
Hey DMM,

thanks for the props.

The HPF cooler will be the last piece of the puzzle.

The plan of attack is Meth, then catless downpipes, then full exhaust, lastly the intercooler.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 07:21 AM   #59
volpe
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i

Justin,
What is your opinion of the Yokohama Neova's? Just got a spare set of oe wheels for my 130i, and they seem a good compromise for fast road/occasional track work.

(Envious of your 135 btw!)

Cheers, Leigh.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #60
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by volpe View Post
Justin,
What is your opinion of the Yokohama Neova's? Just got a spare set of oe wheels for my 130i, and they seem a good compromise for fast road/occasional track work.

(Envious of your 135 btw!)

Cheers, Leigh.

Hey Leigh,

Based on the research that I have done, the Yokohama AD08's are a spectacular tyre for the money.

To be honest I haven't pushed the tyres that hard as yet, as I still have some scrubbing issues to sort out.

I suspect they are more than up to the task, of "fast road/occasional track work".

Lastly given that they are considered an "Extreme Performance Summer tyre", I was a little concerned about their grip level on very wet roads.

Well I am happy to say, unless you are planting your right foot, they are not a concern at all and this was with a shite load of heavy rain and standing water on the road.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #61
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Back on the rollers tonight, at Advan Performance.

This time spraying a little methanol.

Well, actually a lot of Meth, hehe.

IIRC, the maximum flow rate was equivalent to approximately 775 cc or mL per minute.

The meth pump was running at a duty cycle of 70%.

As such I consider the dual CM7 injectors, to be well sized for this application and target boost level.

The ambient temp in the dyno cell was 25 degrees Celsius.

All the pulls tonight were started from an engine speed, of 1,500 RPM in 4th gear.

The vehicle was tied down with the same degree of tension (+ or -), as all the previous pulls.

The end result...

A very impressive 295.8 rwkw.

'Nuff said!

Just kidding, what a tease, lol.

All the details will be provided shortly.

Cheers,

JD.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #62
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Comp

so close yet so far to that magical 300
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #63
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130iguy View Post
so close yet so far to that magical 300
Ummm, dude, with all due respect I would disagree.

I am yet to install ar design Ceramic Coated catless downpipes, a Berk Technology Full Street Performance exhaust and a somewhat imposing HPF intercooler.

I suspect 300+ "killer wasps", will not be a problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #64
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Comp

things i did not know.
These:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD75 View Post
I am yet to install ar design Ceramic Coated catless downpipes, a Berk Technology Full Street Performance exhaust and a somewhat imposing HPF intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #65
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130iguy View Post
things i did not know.
These:

That's cool, no problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #66
JD75
JDTuning
Rep

Whilst the build is far from complete,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Peter, Dale and Michael at Advan Performance Centre and of course Adrian of Vishnu.

Peter has been very accomodating with his time, as I am often having long conversations with him, regarding the progression of the car.

It is very reassuring to be involved with a workshop such as Advan Performance Centre, that go above and beyond, to ensure the customer is happy.

I should say too, that I can be a pain in the arse, as I do not cut corners.

I like things to be done properly the first time, full stop!

As I mentioned before, Dale has done all of the "spanner work" on the vehicle.

The quality of his workmanship, is nothing short of superb.

I have a technical background, as such I rarely meet someone, who is as thorough as I.

His attitude displays a very high degree of professionalism, to say the least.

Lastly a big shout out to Adrian of Vishnu.

I think it is Adrian, who I have bombarded with the most amount of "long winded" emails, over the prior months, haha.

From the conversations we have had, it's clear he has A LOT of tuning experience, of not only the N54 platform.

Both his knowledge and expertise, are testament to that.

Moreover the results we have obtained thus far, from the latest 3-30 DIC maps, speak for themselves.

Given the the limited mods to the vehicle, they are particularly impressive.

The V5 PROcede rocks.

Obviously I am giving all the guys involved a very big rap, but rightfully so.

FYI, I am not easy to please, not by any measure.

Am I pleased at the moment?

Hmmm, let me think... lol.

By the way, we ain't done yet, not by a long shot.

Cheers,

JD.

P.S. Unfortunately I am off to work now.

So I will have to leave the details of the most recent dyno pulls and in particular the "overlay" graph, until later tonight.
Appreciate 0