BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-10-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Train whistle blows when braking

I realize that diagnosing sounds that are not heard, but only described is a real crap shoot, but here goes.

Sometimes, within the first five miles of driving, I can hear a slight multi-toned sound, something like a train whistle, when I apply the brakes. It seems to be coming from under the hood, not from the brakes themselves. It is not very loud, just barely detectable and not recordable. As soon as things warm up, it goes away. The sound is not troublesome at all. I just don't want to miss the early signs of a repair that will be needed to keep my brakes working properly.

I examined my front brake rotors and calipers and do not see anything unusual. Is it possible that the sound is associated with the operation of the power brake booster before it is up to operating temperature? I cannot duplicate the sound while sitting in the garage, only when moving... and only faintly. Any other ideas?

Peace... Mack
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
Gassed135
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
I realize that diagnosing sounds that are not heard, but only described is a real crap shoot, but here goes.

Sometimes, within the first five miles of driving, I can hear a slight multi-toned sound, something like a train whistle, when I apply the brakes. It seems to be coming from under the hood, not from the brakes themselves. It is not very loud, just barely detectable and not recordable. As soon as things warm up, it goes away. The sound is not troublesome at all. I just don't want to miss the early signs of a repair that will be needed to keep my brakes working properly.

I examined my front brake rotors and calipers and do not see anything unusual. Is it possible that the sound is associated with the operation of the power brake booster before it is up to operating temperature? I cannot duplicate the sound while sitting in the garage, only when moving... and only faintly. Any other ideas?

Peace... Mack
My 2012 135 is also making a noise when braking, but comes from the hood. The way i would describe it is similar to the sound a dolphin makes. Weird.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #3
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gassed135 View Post
My 2012 135 is also making a noise when braking, but comes from the hood. The way i would describe it is similar to the sound a dolphin makes. Weird.
Yeah, I saw your post just after I hit <ENTER> on mine. How about that? Dolphins and train whistles... Flipper and Casey Jones. Could they be related? Hope someone can tell.

Peace... Mack
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 07:05 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Did you have ANY work done on the car recently ?

I would look at the hose clamps - on the vacuum hose leading to the brake booster. Also check for any standing water down in the sub-fire wall under the brake booster area. Often times old leaves and crap clogged up the drain hole(s) and allow water to backup around the brake booster.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #5
olds350
Needs a long road trip...
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e91, '13 e88, '19 golf R

This really sounds like a brake booster issue. Check any hoses going to the booster itself, it's vacuum driven to provide power assist to the brakes
Appreciate 0