01-24-2013, 04:11 AM   #287
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
So transmission is 2L and Diff is 1.2L ?
Yes, I think so.

On my N54, my trans (which is different from a 1M or N55) held just over 2.1L. The diff held 1.2L.

I think for a 1M if you had 2L of trans oil and 1.5L of diff oil, you will be covered.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #288
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Arrow Castrol's new bottle for SAF-XJ...

Just to let you guys know... Castrol has changed the bottle of their SAF-XJ diff oil bottle. Its still in a 500ml bottle, it just looks different now.

SAF-XJ (doesn't have the "+FM booster")... SAE GL5 full synthetic 75w140
Name:  IMG_2107.jpg
Views: 3323
Size:  147.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2108.jpg
Views: 2096
Size:  163.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2111.jpg
Views: 2167
Size:  136.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2110.jpg
Views: 1753
Size:  136.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2105.jpg
Views: 1942
Size:  135.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 02:15 AM   #289
dEvo6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Just to let you guys know... Castrol has changed the bottle of their SAF-XJ diff oil bottle. Its still in a 500ml bottle, it just looks different now.
Are you sure it's OK for our differential ? I remember that Castrol SAF-XJ it was the sole diff oil that eliminate the noise in my previous cars (M3 both), and Castrol told me that was due to the so called FM booster
I have to change it soon and already have 1.5 liters SAF-XJ I can't use (because it's the non FM booster)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #290
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

[QUOTE=dEvo6;13446868]
Quote:

QUOTE]are you sure it's OK for our differential ? I remember that Castrol SAF-XJ it was the sole diff oil that eliminate the noise in my previous cars (M3 both), and Castrol told me that was due to the so called FM booster
I have to change it soon and already have 1.5 liters SAF-XJ I can't use (because it's the non FM booster)
1M comes from factory filled with differential oil without the FM booster which means you may continue with this regular oil as long as you are comfortable with the noise in your car. If you refill with the oil including FM booster then you need to continue with that one and you can't go back to non-FM booster oil though. That's the trick you need to pay attention to.

Since I am satisfied with the regular oil without FM booster and am also concerned about a possible future unavailibility of the one with booster, I myself prefer to continue with the regular oil, for now.

Which type you actually have in your differential?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #291
dEvo6
Enlisted Member
Rep

[QUOTE=ozinaldo;13447328]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dEvo6 View Post

1M comes from factory filled with differential oil without the FM booster which means you may continue with this regular oil as long as you are comfortable with the noise in your car. If you refill with the oil including FM booster then you need to continue with that one and you can't go back to non-FM booster oil though. That's the trick you need to pay attention to.

Since I am satisfied with the regular oil without FM booster and am also concerned about a possible future unavailibility of the one with booster, I myself prefer to continue with the regular oil, for now.

Which type you actually have in your differential?
Actually I don't know because it's the same from factory. I usually change it every 10.000 km or less, especially when running the car in drifting TD.
Are you sure that the car comes from factory with a different oil respect to the one they suggest for servicing the car ?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #292
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure it's OK for our differential ? I remember that Castrol SAF-XJ it was the sole diff oil that eliminate the noise in my previous cars (M3 both), and Castrol told me that was due to the so called FM booster

Yes, the 1M comes factory filled with SAF-XJ (without the +FM friction modifier).

As far as I know... only in the USA/North American market does BMW spec the SAF-XJ +FM (plus Friction Modifier)... to prevent customer complaints about a noisy diff operation(sound).

IF you have your 1M or M3 serviced in Germany... they will just use the regular Castrol SAF-XJ without the friction modifier package.

So as long as your car's (diff) has never had the SAF-XJ+FM... you can use the regular SAF-XJ diff oil.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #293
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

[QUOTE=dEvo6;13447626]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Actually I don't know because it's the same from factory. I usually change it every 10.000 km or less, especially when running the car in drifting TD.
Are you sure that the car comes from factory with a different oil respect to the one they suggest for servicing the car ?
It would be best to ask your dealer. Have them look up your car by VIN and see which diff oil is spec'd for your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #294
dEvo6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

It would be best to ask your dealer. Have them look up your car by VIN and see which diff oil is spec'd for your car.

I'll let you know
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #295
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:

I'll let you know
Exactly like Dack said.

My bet is since you live in Italy your car is Euro spec. and came without FM booster.

A question: why didn't you change the oil at first service (2000 km./1200 mile) since all 1Ms are supposed to change engine oil, oil filter, trans oil and differential oil at 2000 km.? Is there a different implementation in Italy?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #296
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
So what is the downside of FM booster?
Know one really knows. But logic would say that IF you put a substance into the diff that makes the diff clutches have more slip... and less "chatter" your "locking" action of your diff will change.

I believe BMW is using the "+FM" booster(on for its US customers) because they don't want to give their customers any excuse to "Lemon" their new car. Most American buyers are put off by strange noises when they just have bought a brand new car. They think a car should make no noise. But the truth is sometimes noises are ok. Like the way the N54/N55 engine sounds at idle, or the diff noise or some wind noise do to frameless windows.

Over here... when someone takes their new BMW into the dealer... and the Meister listens to a strange noise and tells the customer: "Ohh that is a normal sound"... they believe the Meister! In the states we have Lemon laws and plenty of laywers... and people will never believe what someone at the dealer tells them. EVEN if it is true, that the noise is normal.

This is why we also get stuck with that SW update that gives us LAG and kills throttle response.

I think BMW is using the +FM booster to keep its customers happy. Even IF there is a performance decrease. Most drivers would never know. THIS is just my opinion though. I have no concrete evidence.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #297
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

I just noticed today that under the hood there's a sticker with the part number for the oil. According to that sticker the part number is 07510002545

The first post in this thread lists the part number for the oil as 07510017866

Additionally there is a 3rd number 07511469399

I think all three part numbers reference the exact same oil

After 1+ year and 14 pages, I cant remember if we covered this in this thread. I just wanted to mention it in case someone comes across it and questions the 3 diff numbers.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 03:59 AM   #298
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
I just noticed today that under the hood there's a sticker with the part number for the oil...
For ENGINE oil right? I remember seeing that. I think I even posted the sticker from M3 adjusters car when he took ED at the Welt. Thanks for posting though.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #299
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
For ENGINE oil right? I remember seeing that. I think I even posted the sticker from M3 adjusters car when he took ED at the Welt. Thanks for posting though.
YES engine oil. Again sorry if a duplicate... better two posts vs no posts
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #300
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Q. Could I go wrong by using the Pentosin FFL-4 for the transmission since the FFL-3 and FFL-4 have exact the same specifications exept that the FFL-3 is developped for the ZF DCT tranny and the FFL-4 is for the GETRAG tranny ?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Pentosin FFL-3_GB PDF.pdf (46.8 KB, 605 views)
File Type: pdf Pentosin FFL-4_GB PDF.pdf (47.1 KB, 464 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #301
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs/e60/1m? View Post
Q. Could I go wrong by using the Pentosin FFL-4 for the transmission since the FFL-3 and FFL-4 have exact the same specifications exept that the FFL-3 is developped for the ZF DCT tranny and the FFL-4 is for the GETRAG tranny ?
Rudi I think you should ask Pentosin this question. I would think that since FFL-3 is spec'd for your trans... that is what you should use. It could be there are some additives or a different formula for the trans bearing internals.

I would stick with FFL-3 if it were my car.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #302
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Rudi I think you should ask Pentosin this question. I would think that since FFL-3 is spec'd for your trans... that is what you should use. It could be there are some additives or a different formula for the trans bearing internals.

I would stick with FFL-3 if it were my car.

Dackel
Thats exactly what i'm gonna do David thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #303
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs/e60/1m? View Post
Thats exactly what I'm gonna do David thanks
Better safe than sorry. Ain't worth to go astray. Don't get your 1M the blues (except for the exterior color).
      02-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #304
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Better safe than sorry. Ain't worth to go astray. Don't get your 1M the blues (except for the exterior color).
Only funny things is....FFL-3 is approved by Porsche (only)

whereas the FFL-4 is approved by BMW (only) so who's to say....
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #305
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Need to top off my engine oil. Should I get the oil from the stealer or just go with Valvoline or Castrol? I'll probably buy a pack and keep it in the garage so I can top it off between changes (if needed).

The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #306
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

I'd favor topping off with whatever's currently in there (sounds like BMW 5W-30 syn?) The dealer prices aren't -totally- off base for the stuff, I think.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #307
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
Need to top off my engine oil. Should I get the oil from the stealer or just go with Valvoline or Castrol? I'll probably buy a pack and keep it in the garage so I can top it off between changes (if needed).

As long as what ever you use has a "BMW Long Life-1" or "LL-1" rating you will be fine.

I really prefer Castrol oil. BMW does too. I really did not buy into this Castrol stuff in the beginning. At first I was using Mobil-1 LL-1 0w40 oil. Then I decided to "try" German Castol RS Edge LL-1 0w40. I noticed two things at first... 1), with the Castrol my engine was MUCH quieter on cold starts. Much less metallic tapping. Also the engine seemed to warm up faster AND the oil temp gauge would read about two needle widths cooler than with the Mobil-1.

I was sold on using Castrol oil since then. The Castrol oil really seems to work better in our cars. Just my two cents worth.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #308
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
As long as what ever you use has a "BMW Long Life-1" or "LL-1" rating you will be fine.

I really prefer Castrol oil. BMW does too. I really did not buy into this Castrol stuff in the beginning. At first I was using Mobil-1 LL-1 0w40 oil. Then I decided to "try" German Castol RS Edge LL-1 0w40. I noticed two things at first... 1), with the Castrol my engine was MUCH quieter on cold starts. Much less metallic tapping. Also the engine seemed to warm up faster AND the oil temp gauge would read about two needle widths cooler than with the Mobil-1.

I was sold on using Castrol oil since then. The Castrol oil really seems to work better in our cars. Just my two cents worth.
Thanks Dack!
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0