BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange M3, X5M, Blk 135

Racing Seats

Does anyone know if there are any alternatives to Recaro Pole positions when it comes to fitment in the e82. Just got rid of a pair of Sparco Evo II (Front base wider than rear) despite trying all sorts of adapters (VAC, macht schnell etc) we couldn't get it to fit without any major fabrication. I noticed at SEMA that the Berk car had sparco 2000 (not sure if it was straight bolt in though or fabricated). There are few FIA approved well priced lightweight seats e.g. Sparco sprint V, or the wonderful corbeau. I just didn't want purchase another set and have to sell. If I'm limited to the pole position, then so be it. If anyone is aware of a listing of compatible racing seats, or in general what you guys are running on the track, the advice would be greatly appreciated. Our oem seats are horrible on technical tracks and damn scary during my last autocross. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

here's what i have in mine.....

02-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
SkinnyVT
P1
Rep
Drives: like an asshole

Most manufacturers post the dimensions of their seats on their websites, I'm running Racetech RT1000's in my e30, super comfortable and fairly narrow.
      02-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
United_States
Rep

I totally agreeon the dimensions, but it was the bolting points and brackets that was completely off. Dimension on the Evo II didn't lok bad initially, until we tried bolting it in. Looks like Racetech is a favorite. I'll see if I can get those at a reasonable price as they can be a bit expensive. Ebay time. Thanks guys for the advice
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

for reference I have my 4009W's in there with a VAC seat mounting it. The wings of the seat are a bit wide and leave me about 1mm clearance on the doors. Contact In Nothing Flat motorsports. Tell Chad I sent ya and he'll work with ya
      02-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Focus,

Are your airbag lights off?
Are you confident that your passenger side airbag still works?

Considering seats myself, but I'm worried about the airbag situation after reading various posts around here.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

My airbag and seat belt lights are on the dash. I've been working with a friend of mine that has an autologic scanner/coder to turn the lights off. From what we've been learning is that the car really doesn't like having the seat control modules out of the car. From what i've researched the dash/steering wheel airbags are still enabled and should work. I'm going to try removing the seat modules from the oem seats and putting back in teh car and then recode it again. Another option is to make sure you code your car to the euro performance seats before you remove the oem ones to avoid the airbag lights.
      02-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
My airbag and seat belt lights are on the dash. I've been working with a friend of mine that has an autologic scanner/coder to turn the lights off. From what we've been learning is that the car really doesn't like having the seat control modules out of the car. From what i've researched the dash/steering wheel airbags are still enabled and should work. I'm going to try removing the seat modules from the oem seats and putting back in teh car and then recode it again. Another option is to make sure you code your car to the euro performance seats before you remove the oem ones to avoid the airbag lights.
Dont euro performance seats have side airbags?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I didn't think they did. That was part of the reason we couldn't get them in US??
      02-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
I didn't think they did. That was part of the reason we couldn't get them in US??
They do have airbags.
The occupancy detection module is different from the US version. That's the main difference and why they are not compatible.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
bavarianstig
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

I currently have the Sparco Evos installed, which JUST fit. I'm assuming you got the EVO IIs bc you wouldn't fit in the regular EVOs?

Note: the roll bars don't show it in the photo, but they now have the appropriate foam padding
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #12
Black Sheep
A Zip an a Double Cup
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

^^^Bad ass!

PTF Tuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianstig View Post
I currently have the Sparco Evos installed, which JUST fit. I'm assuming you got the EVO IIs bc you wouldn't fit in the regular EVOs?

Note: the roll bars don't show it in the photo, but they now have the appropriate foam padding
Stig,

Same question to you: What's the status of your airbags/lights?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
bavarianstig
Private
Rep

Airbag and seatbelt lights stay on. NO ANNOYING "GONG".

Because stock seats are out, that means no side airbags. However, you still have side curtain airbags. I believe I also confirmed with my service tech that the only consequence is both driver and passenger airbags will go off in a wreck, so it could make an accident more expensive if you didn't have a passenger with you. Not sure that really matters...but yes, default is for ALL available airbags to go off
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #15
octironSmith
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TiAg 135i, SGM X5 xDrive50i

How are Racetechs for "wider" folk like me? Any other XL size suggestions? What about mounts, what has worked well for others?
      02-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #16
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm 6'3 265lbs. The Racetechs are a bit snug on the hips, but not uncomfortably so at all. My biggest issue with finding seats was finding something tall enough for my shoulders. The widest comfy seat I found was the Sparco evoIII, however, it just wasn't nearly tall enough for my eventual shoulder straps. The toher thing is I don't think the sparco's would fit in the car. Out of all the seats I tried, the racetechs were the comfiest over all, stiffest construction, and best supporting seats for my body. I have yet to meet anybody that hasn't fallen in love with their racetechs. Simply put they're worth the premium cost. I have mine mounted with the Vac Seat kit. If I could go back and do it again, I'd get the match schnell floor mounts and the vac side mounts. I like the match schnell does the seat belt bracket (for oem seatbelt use) much better than vacs.
      02-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #17
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
United_States
Rep

I'm glad I finally have good inputs on proper race seats from you guys. I can't believe there's very little data on what fits out cars. I was wondering what everyone used for track seats(OEM?). Got all the mods, car is fast, but can't stay in my seat on most 2nd gear turns.

Thanks Bavarianstig,
You are absolutely right, they were the EvoII. I guess at 6' and 180lbs, I should have bought the Evos to at least give them a try & get a good snug. At least now I know the regular sized Evos will fit. Which brackets did you ended up using to get them to fit?.

I just didn't want an unsafe fabrication(to get them in), which I thought of before getting rid of them.

Also when it comes to coding the seat, I had mine coded out and the airbag light was gone(but seat remained unplugged), but unfortunately I had to plug the seat back to get it motorized to where I could reach the bolts to try putting the Evo IIs in, and as soon as I plugged it back in, I was greeted with the "driver restrain malfunction" light. I want to be able to swap it back & forth. No easy solution here. Permanent replacement is what I will have to live with. I dont mind (Tired of drivefrom the center console, and head almost out of window on autocross. Just impossible).

Focusedintntions, excellent idea on the Racetechs as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Now time to go shopping again for seat.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #18
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianstig View Post

Absolutely stunning!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #19
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
United_States
Rep

Absolutely stunning!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #20
octironSmith
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TiAg 135i, SGM X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple M View Post
I'm glad I finally have good inputs on proper race seats from you guys. I can't believe there's very little data on what fits out cars. I was wondering what everyone used for track seats(OEM?). Got all the mods, car is fast, but can't stay in my seat on most 2nd gear turns.

Thanks Bavarianstig,
You are absolutely right, they were the EvoII. I guess at 6' and 180lbs, I should have bought the Evos to at least give them a try & get a good snug. At least now I know the regular sized Evos will fit. Which brackets did you ended up using to get them to fit?.

I just didn't want an unsafe fabrication(to get them in), which I thought of before getting rid of them.

Also when it comes to coding the seat, I had mine coded out and the airbag light was gone(but seat remained unplugged), but unfortunately I had to plug the seat back to get it motorized to where I could reach the bolts to try putting the Evo IIs in, and as soon as I plugged it back in, I was greeted with the "driver restrain malfunction" light. I want to be able to swap it back & forth. No easy solution here. Permanent replacement is what I will have to live with. I dont mind (Tired of drivefrom the center console, and head almost out of window on autocross. Just impossible).

Quick question - What're you using to code out the airbag warning?
      02-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #21
bavarianstig
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple M View Post

Thanks Bavarianstig,

I used the VAC billet mount floor adaptors, VAC side mounts, VAC anti-sub mounting bracket, and VAC lap belt mounting brackets. I also have the factory seat belt adaptors, but haven't gotten around to installing them yet.

Also for harnesses, I recommend Schroth Profi II 6pt harnesses (pull up lap belt, snap in).
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #22
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
United_States
Rep

Thanks a million Bav. Looks like some of my monting kit left over from will come in handy.
Appreciate 0