BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-05-2010, 01:33 AM   #507
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSakky135 View Post
can you do this w/ a jb3? is it possible? and will dealer instal if i currently have downpipes?
Why would you go with this option if you already have downpipes? Is it because you want the cooling fan?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #508
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky G View Post
I just can't see why a person would go this route, and not just a JB+ for a FRACTION of the price, for probably more performance. OK, warranty, maybe, but I've not heard about a JB+ user who's had a warranty voided.
JuiceBox doesn't add robust components and pick-up @ your driveway, if something goes wrong..!

If you lease.. then you juice. Nobody who plans on owning their BMW will use a JB. Those who pump & dump are not looking out for longevity or warranty!

Just fun @ BMW cost..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #509
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

Just out of curiousity ...as I got lost in a ponder,

if let's say one had previously lost their warranty because of ECU modification, that person could go into BMW and purchase this performance upgrade. In doing so, I doubt the dealer would care to check their warranty issue as this is only a purchase, so with this performance package all your software gets upgraded and if you had an MSD 80 that changes as well to an MSD 81. So if after this install you had a problem arise, would you fall back into warranty coverage?

Also - BMW NA is completely seperate from Europe with a different warranty coverage so regardless of what happens here, when the car gets shipped stateside it gets a second chance -
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 02:01 AM   #510
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

Ordered my pack yesterday and getting it fitted on 19th Jan ) I'm running 325BHP already so hope to see between 345 & 350
      01-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #511
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

I had the kit installed last week at the dealer. My front bumper looks like Hans Delbruck's install and not Novator's install. From the pre-install part pics, Novator's air guide looks like the one for the performance bumper and it looks like the car has the stock M bumper. You should have the dealer that installed it verify that what you have is correct one as it does not look right.

I am not worried about rocks hitting the aux radiator. As you can see from Hans Delbruck's pictures, it is up there pretty good. It is at the same height as the oil cooler in the other wheel well and has the same shaped scoop feeding air into it. I have not noticed any issues with stuff hitting the oil cooler so I do not expect and issues with the new radiator.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 02:25 AM   #512
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Mine is being fitted now !!!!!!!! can't wait to pick it up
      01-19-2010, 06:32 AM   #513
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-135i View Post
Mine is being fitted now !!!!!!!! can't wait to pick it up
Make sure you give us your impressions
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #514
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Make sure you give us your impressions
Sure, just got a call to say the reprogramming takes 5 hrs before they start the 5 hours labour If they had told me that before I would have dropped it in last night so it could have updated overnight They said they didn't realise until they started it as this is the first one they have done and the one they saw on the training day already had the new ECU as mine is a Dec 07 car the ECU is replaced.

Pick it up tomorrow now

As I am already running at 325BHP with my other mods, I am hoping with this I should see between 345 and 350BHP
      01-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #515
crex
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i, Jeep wrangler

Quote:
Sure, just got a call to say the reprogramming takes 5 hrs before they start the 5 hours labour If they had told me that before I would have dropped it in last night so it could have updated overnight They said they didn't realise until they started it as this is the first one they have done and the one they saw on the training day already had the new ECU as mine is a Dec 07 car the ECU is replaced.

Pick it up tomorrow now

As I am already running at 325BHP with my other mods, I am hoping with this I should see between 345 and 350BHP
any updates?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #516
guydude
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 ordered

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Update??? Hehe
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #517
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Forgive me as i really dun feel like goin thru 24 pages of stuff...

What does this include, how much and is it available thru dealerships in the U.S.???

Thanks

Also, any restrictions, like as to the year, model?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 09:38 PM   #518
guydude
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 ordered

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Try using google
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #519
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by guydude View Post
Try using google

I repeat my question..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 01:57 AM   #520
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Update: Still not ready..... It's the first one they have done end the Senior Technician is doing it. This is now Day 3...so :
day 1: 5 hrs programming and 2 hours starting to strip car for bits to be fitted
day 2: continue stripping and start assembly of new components.
day 3: Today....finish assembly and final programming of car, should be done for lunchtime today.

I veiwed the car and spoke to the Technician yesterday, he is enjoying the job and making notes on a better way to do it than the standard BMW worksheet as it a bit arse about face and he wants to make it easier next time. He is doing a good job and ran me through everything hge has done so far. My old ECU will be in the boot too, not sure what to do with it ?????? as I have a new one now.

Did you know? the Pack includes new Intercooler pipes. They replace the soft rubber ones with rigid ones. The mechanic said my current FORGE ones are still slightly less restrictive than the upgraded ones so he will has left mine on and will put the upgrade ones in the boot with the ECU....maybe I can sell these ? Obviously this does answer one question that people have pondered over the stock FMIC pipes......they are better off being upgraded if you change the FMIC.

Anyway I will let you know what I think after I get the car back and have a chance to play.

Incase you wondered.....I am still only being charge the same 5 hrs for labour.
      01-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #521
Pablito1702
Pablo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Horn brackets and wiring extension are required!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
From the install instructions it seems there is no horn bracket required. They just drill it right into the bumper. Directly from the install instructions:

UPDATE: these are the install instructions from July 09. Turns out the newest instructions do list 2 brackets, additional wiring and some mounting hardware for the brackets. So order the horn bracket parts and make sure your tech has the newest instructions prior to starting the install.
After inquiring before ordering the tuning kit and being assured from Tischer that the horn brackets and wiring are not needed for a later model car, my car is in pieces and the build cannot be completed because of additional parts that are not even readily available from BMW (have to ship from Germany). I am facing driving my car without a horn for 2 weeks and an additional 3 hours labor to remove and reinstall the bumber and horn parts when they arrive. Total BMW clusterf**k. DO NOT proceed with installation without these parts!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #522
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
I am not sure what they did to my car, but I have been driving around without the brackets for the meantime and the horn still works. They secured it somehow.
      01-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #523
Novator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 M3

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [8.00]
Thez99, the kit pretty includes a sidemount radiator in your driver's side brake duct (granted you are driving a left hand drive car), the required piping and hoses, new spark plugs, new uprated fan and all its wiring, and a reflash and possibly a new ECU if you had a car running MSD80.
      01-31-2010, 08:56 PM   #524
Pablito1702
Pablo
United_States
Rep

Performance Tuning and Exhaust Install Quirks

I had the BMW performance tuning kit and exhaust recently installed at local so Cal dealer with a good service dept. First caution to others is to be sure to negotiate a fixed price for install, as it is WAY more labor intensive than anyone expects. I agreed on 8 hours labor but they were at it for 2.5 days (with exhaust). And my technician was a talented one!

When the car was returned, the two performance part stickers with serial numbers were not installed underhood and were MIA. Same with autorization code paperwork (red envelope). Are these missing items important for future maintenance/repair?

Still working out some installation issues and I have not driven the car enough to provide a full evaluation, which will be forthcoming.

One concern regarding the exhaust. When the car is cruising at 1800 rpms and mild throttle is applied (auto is in higher gear, so engine is slightly lugging) the exhaust gives off a rather lound unpleasant sound (booming-like) with some vibration and possible contact between piping and other part of car under passenger floor board. The sound and vibration cease as soon as the engine rpm climbs to over 2200 rpm and sounds normal at higher rpms. Any ideas? Anyone else experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 12:12 AM   #525
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablito1702 View Post

When the car was returned, the two performance part stickers with serial numbers were not installed underhood and were MIA. Same with autorization code paperwork (red envelope). Are these missing items important for future maintenance/repair?
Hmmm... I had mine installed at the port and I didn't get any "red envelope", just something that looked like an old photocopy of an accessory install sheet with the tech's initials. I got a sticker under the hood but it does not include a serial number, it just says BMW Performance Power Kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablito1702 View Post
One concern regarding the exhaust. When the car is cruising at 1800 rpms and mild throttle is applied (auto is in higher gear, so engine is slightly lugging) the exhaust gives off a rather lound unpleasant sound (booming-like) with some vibration and possible contact between piping and other part of car under passenger floor board. The sound and vibration cease as soon as the engine rpm climbs to over 2200 rpm and sounds normal at higher rpms. Any ideas? Anyone else experienced this?
I also had the exhaust installed at the port. I don't get any vibration or boom at those rpm's so I think you definitely have an install problem... sorry The exhaust seems to be getting a little louder as it ages, and there is a very slight drone in 6th at about 80mph. It's pretty awesome though... love it.

Oh one other thing to report. PPK cars are not immune to fuel pump issues. My first HPFP failed at 3500 miles. At 4850 miles, it looks like my 2nd one is going as I got a really long crank tonight.... I drive almost 100 miles a day, so if they do fail at this rate, I'll be getting a new one every month!

edit/update: I did get a 2nd HPFP replaced, at 5828 miles. I'm now running the 943 unit and so far so good. Also happy that BMW has extended the warranty on the pumps for 2009 models. I like a company that stands behind the product!

Last edited by Hans Delbruck; 02-27-2010 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 03:07 PM   #526
Pablito1702
Pablo
United_States
Rep

Performance Kit update - 24 MPG!

Since I have had my exhaust drone issue resolved, I have had the opportunity to drive the BMW performance kit for a few weeks now. Hard to have a perspective on the power increase because I did not have the stock car very long before doing the modification. The power increase is clearly noticeable and the car seems very fast. No drivability issues, but I hadn't noticed any issues with the stock set-up that some have reported here. My previous car was a 550i and I am not missing the power of the V8 (345 hp) at all. Prior to the install I had checked mileage on a few tanks of gas and was getting 22mpg, which was disappointing since my 550i did the same. The last 3 tanks after the BMW PPK and exhaust install I have achieved 24 mpg consistently. This is with a lot of highway cruising, but at 75 mph average with aggressive acceleration and brief sprints (when the road is clear and no fuzz) to 100+. I am encouraged to move to the next step with modifications (suspension, wheels, sound) but the prospect of being able to order a unique M1 in the near future has me reconsidering putting too much $$ into this one.

Last edited by Pablito1702; 02-26-2010 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #527
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Has anyone that has gotten this kit gotten individual part numbers on any paperwork included within? I'm specifically interested in ordering the hardware parts separately (the auxilary rad and increased wattage fan) if possible...

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #528
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
the Pack includes new Intercooler pipes. They replace the soft rubber ones with rigid ones.
Do we get the rigid IC pipes in US kits? Or just the extra radiator and bigger fan?
Appreciate 0