BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-09-2009, 05:56 AM   #23
BMW_x5_Msport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5f15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templedogg View Post
There are no threads with flashes issues....what are you smoking Russo?
Russo drives a Honda fit that should answer your question
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #24
Russo
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Dodge Dakota Big Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rems09135i View Post
Russo drives a Honda fit that should answer your question
this level of ignorance is beyond any kind of slick rebuttle i could make... however the logic behind it is that i'd rather have a cheap, high resale value, economical, best equipped, best looking for it's class car AND a house... than a 135i or comparable car but still living with mom and dad...

i don't live on these boards, but from the past and 10 min lookup i just did about Dinan stage 1 tunes, there were problems afterword, either with fuel pumps or various CELs... some of which were fixed under warranty, others had been haggled by the dealer, and one in particular (was locked btw) had ended by a call directly from Steve himself.... i don't have any hate to any particular brand, but as a realist, if you want to charge a premium, the service has to back it up... unfortunately, when you have problems on a 35k+ hobby, it tends to go south very quickly... i would still buy a Dinan product (stage 2), but it would have to go with many testing mules to get me to buy it...

now the exhaust comment... people can buy whatever they want, to each their own... but i would rather spend my money on something that has a balance on all fronts.... power, weight, cost, durability, looks, etc... not something that has a name stamped on it with a $1200 price tag, especially if it's just an axleback... companies like HKS, Greddy, Apex, Corsa, SLP, Renntech, AMS, Bassani, etc all make great products! maybe their not a top tier dealer preferred company... but when you buy from them, you will not be disappointed for your dollar spent...

BLUEFAKES.COM ARE SCAMMERS, LIERS, AND CHEATERS! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #25
Johnnyr135
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

When you buy the DINAN exhaust you also have your flash redone and the exhaust option set in the tune. It does make a difference
      01-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #26
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

I just got off the phone with a Dinan rep. The exhaust is a basically a muffler that requires cutting of the stock exhaust downstream from the resonator/merge point, and the new muffler is then clamped onto the cut factory pipe.

No pictures now because the only unit available is pre-production, but I was advised it should only be a few more days until pics are available.

Personally, I might consider this exhaust in conjunction with some midpipes...not that I would do such a thing as removing my secondary cats and resonator. I'd leave that for people that want warranty hassles.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #27
NY SLC 93
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaMind View Post
I just got off the phone with a Dinan rep. The exhaust is a basically a muffler that requires cutting of the stock exhaust downstream from the resonator/merge point, and the new muffler is then clamped onto the cut factory pipe.

No pictures now because the only unit available is pre-production, but I was advised it should only be a few more days until pics are available.

Personally, I might consider this exhaust in conjunction with some midpipes...not that I would do such a thing as removing my secondary cats and resonator. I'd leave that for people that want warranty hassles.
Booooooo.....
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 03:45 PM   #28
silverfox
Alpine White M Performance
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

I absolutely love My Dinan Flashes on both my 135i and 335XI. Dinan can keep this muffler, I'm waiting for Eisenmann Quad Race For my 1

The 135i Rules!

Ob.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #29
bluemoon
Private First Class
Rep

Dinan just posted a photo on their website of their Free Flow Exhaust for the 135i. Unfortunately just the tips and no audio clip...pout.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #30
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep

We need more pics, but it looks good from that angle.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #31
JKAWB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
this level of ignorance is beyond any kind of slick rebuttle i could make... however the logic behind it is that i'd rather have a cheap, high resale value, economical, best equipped, best looking for it's class car AND a house... than a 135i or comparable car but still living with mom and dad...

i don't live on these boards, but from the past and 10 min lookup i just did about Dinan stage 1 tunes, there were problems afterword, either with fuel pumps or various CELs... some of which were fixed under warranty, others had been haggled by the dealer, and one in particular (was locked btw) had ended by a call directly from Steve himself.... i don't have any hate to any particular brand, but as a realist, if you want to charge a premium, the service has to back it up... unfortunately, when you have problems on a 35k+ hobby, it tends to go south very quickly... i would still buy a Dinan product (stage 2), but it would have to go with many testing mules to get me to buy it...

now the exhaust comment... people can buy whatever they want, to each their own... but i would rather spend my money on something that has a balance on all fronts.... power, weight, cost, durability, looks, etc... not something that has a name stamped on it with a $1200 price tag, especially if it's just an axleback... companies like HKS, Greddy, Apex, Corsa, SLP, Renntech, AMS, Bassani, etc all make great products! maybe their not a top tier dealer preferred company... but when you buy from them, you will not be disappointed for your dollar spent...
Thanks for coming to a BMW forum and telling us how to spend our money. If we gave a crap about economical values of cars and car parts, we wouldn't buy BMW's with twin turbo engines and go fast parts for them.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #32
ben14142001
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

It looks very similar to the BMW performance. Very.

-Ben
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 07:25 AM   #33
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep

The tips look similar, but I'm sure the muffler itself looks completely different. The BMW Performance muffler looks pretty much like stock, excluding the tips.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 08:39 AM   #34
davemohan
United_States
Rep

The tips are described as "polished stainless" (steel?), but appear to be a uniform black in the photo. Or is that reflected color? Has anyone heard what color they are? Honestly, it looks like a photo of a stock 135 exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #35
davemohan
United_States
Rep

PS (OT) And who came up with the military crap under usernames? If I wanted to be a Private, Captain or Friggin' Five Star General I would join the forces.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #36
BMW_x5_Msport
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

lol he still lives with his Mommy and he wheres woman underwear when he drives his Fit shut up and who cares what you have to say cause you no nothing, go put your car in neutral and ride down a hill so you can save gas
premium package
sport package
comfort access
premium hi-fi system
navigation that plays dvds
real time trafic ect.
ipod,hd,sat,
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #37
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:

I have been stunned at the prices for aftermarket parts for BMWs. I expected it to be expensive, but $1,000 for an axle-back exhaust is just way, way too much cash for power gains that are likely minimal (if they exist at all.) Especially now that DINAN and BMW are on the outs WRT warranties. ($1,000 for a cat back...maybe. But axle-back? Come on.)

I'm all for modding, but if you're intent on blowing serious cash, take it to a tuner and have a custom job done, and then get dynos before and after to prove the gains. Otherwise, you're just making someone else's boat payments.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #38
davemohan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rems09135i View Post
lol he still lives with his Mommy and he wheres woman underwear when he drives his Fit shut up and who cares what you have to say cause you no nothing, go put your car in neutral and ride down a hill so you can save gas
All I can say is: WTF?

I also own a Fit (in addition to a 135 and a Clubman). Please do rip into me with an illiterate and asinine rant! (I do so love the pain and humiliation!)

Sorry, but c'mon, what was the point of that post? And for God's sake look at what you write before hitting Send.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #39
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemohan View Post
The tips are described as "polished stainless" (steel?), but appear to be a uniform black in the photo. Or is that reflected color? Has anyone heard what color they are? Honestly, it looks like a photo of a stock 135 exhaust.
Dave, they look like stainless steel to me, at least on my monitor. I don't see a black finish like the stock exhaust. It might be the rear diffuser reflecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
I have been stunned at the prices for aftermarket parts for BMWs. I expected it to be expensive, but $1,000 for an axle-back exhaust is just way, way too much cash for power gains that are likely minimal (if they exist at all.) Especially now that DINAN and BMW are on the outs WRT warranties. ($1,000 for a cat back...maybe. But axle-back? Come on.)

I'm all for modding, but if you're intent on blowing serious cash, take it to a tuner and have a custom job done, and then get dynos before and after to prove the gains. Otherwise, you're just making someone else's boat payments.
This seems to be par for the course with BMW mods. A lot of other pre-fabbed cat backs are going for $1500+, so in that regard the Dinan isn't too bad, especially with the 15% rebate they have. Hell, I've seen a few axle backs going for over $1,500. Anyhow, there a plenty of options if Dinan doesn't work for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #40
davemohan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaMind View Post
Dave, they look like stainless steel to me, at least on my monitor. I don't see a black finish like the stock exhaust. It might be the rear diffuser reflecting
I am not insane! On the other hand, lets see how I do at posting a pic.

Unless that now looks different, it is either stainless with heavy black reflection on top or black with highlights on the side.

OK, now that I look at the pic again, and taking into account the highlights on the bumper and diffuser, I guess it is stainless with shadows above. Too bad. (I mean "how unfortunate", not "Tooooo BAD".)

Last edited by davemohan; 01-28-2009 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: further "reflections", then clarification
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 02:39 AM   #41
BMW_x5_Msport
Lieutenant
Rep

there is a new pic on the site!
premium package
sport package
comfort access
premium hi-fi system
real time trafic ect.
ipod,hd,sat,
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 02:44 AM   #42
BMW_x5_Msport
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemohan View Post
All I can say is: WTF?

I also own a Fit (in addition to a 135 and a Clubman). Please do rip into me with an illiterate and asinine rant! (I do so love the pain and humiliation!)

Sorry, but c'mon, what was the point of that post? And for God's sake look at what you write before hitting Send.
who talking to you anyway so mind your own biz and who cars if you drive a girls car!
premium package
sport package
comfort access
premium hi-fi system
real time trafic ect.
ipod,hd,sat,
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 03:14 AM   #43
BMW-driver
Drive carefully :)
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 1M Valencia Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben14142001 View Post
I have the BMW Performance, and honestly, I don't think the Dinan will be much better. Maybe a little more free flowing? Maybe a little louder? But there is only so much you can get from an axle-back.

-Ben
For your information: the BMW Performance is not a free flowing exhaust. It is in fact the OEM with a tuned sound and different looks. But - imo - the sound and looks are great. In fact, it is good that it is the OEM part (later more..)

Dinan Rear muffler,
- About power: A real free flowing rearmuffler - like the Schnitzer I have - should give you indeed some extra bhp (2 to 5 bhp). Ofcourse, that is not noticable. The Dinan exhaust I do not know. If it is a real free flowing version, than we know what we can expect.
-About noise: A free flowing rearmuffler add's sound into the cabine. You have to expercience by yourself if the sound is not obnoxious. Not by listening to some stupid youtube movie (lol), but drive a car with the Dinan exhaust, than you konw about the sound. Example: my Schnitzer free flowing has got a nasty drone around 3000 rpm, and that is not nice. In the morning, when I start the cold engine, I wake up my complete neighborhood; birds are dropping dead out of the trees and fishes are floating upside down in the canals...:

BMW PP exhaust!
So, if we know that only changing the rearmuffler does not do anything for power, the PP exhaust is great of it's looks and sound. It is wise from BMW that they only tuned the OEM part for looks and sound, but kept the inside at is was. I have driven the PP exhaust and indeed, no drone into the car! I am going to change my awful looking Schnitzer exhaust to a BMW PP exhaust or I will replace my OEM back. The last optoin is the most likewise.

Have fun!
ACS1.35i
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 05:58 AM   #44
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acs1.35i View Post
For your information: the BMW Performance is not a free flowing exhaust. It is in fact the OEM with a tuned sound and different looks. But - imo - the sound and looks are great. In fact, it is good that it is the OEM part (later more..)

Dinan Rear muffler,
- About power: A real free flowing rearmuffler - like the Schnitzer I have - should give you indeed some extra bhp (2 to 5 bhp). Ofcourse, that is not noticable. The Dinan exhaust I do not know. If it is a real free flowing version, than we know what we can expect.
-About noise: A free flowing rearmuffler add's sound into the cabine. You have to expercience by yourself if the sound is not obnoxious. Not by listening to some stupid youtube movie (lol), but drive a car with the Dinan exhaust, than you konw about the sound. Example: my Schnitzer free flowing has got a nasty drone around 3000 rpm, and that is not nice. In the morning, when I start the cold engine, I wake up my complete neighborhood; birds are dropping dead out of the trees and fishes are floating upside down in the canals...:

BMW PP exhaust!
So, if we know that only changing the rearmuffler does not do anything for power, the PP exhaust is great of it's looks and sound. It is wise from BMW that they only tuned the OEM part for looks and sound, but kept the inside at is was. I have driven the PP exhaust and indeed, no drone into the car! I am going to change my awful looking Schnitzer exhaust to a BMW PP exhaust or I will replace my OEM back. The last optoin is the most likewise.

Have fun!
ACS1.35i
Since I'm not familiar with the design, does the ACS exhaust remove the resonator, or is it just an axle back?

I believe the Dinan exhaust is a true free flow design, but it's supposed to be relatively quiet. I know it does retain both cats and the resonator.
Appreciate 0