BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-28-2019, 03:37 AM   #1
spare
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Evolution Racewerks (ER) Competition Intercooler

Hi guys,

2013 N55 E82 135i.

Looking to find more info on the ER Competition Intercooler but unlike some of the other big players like VRSF or Wagner, I can't seem to find much info.

Was looking to grab the "Standard Package" I believe it is, that also comes with the ER Chargepipe (and maybe even purchase the ER TIC Pipe while I'm at it?).

Anyone have one of these intercoolers? Is trimming required? Anything else I should know?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
gtjosh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver 2011 135i DCT

Just make sure you specify what transmission you have because the end tanks on the intercoolers are different.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 09:07 AM   #3
spare
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjosh View Post
Just make sure you specify what transmission you have because the end tanks on the intercoolers are different.
Thanks for the heads up. Which intercooler do you have out of interest?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 02:58 PM   #4
DWN-N-OUT
Enlisted Member
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

I just installed mine this weekend along with the TIC pipe. There is definitely trimming required, it seemed I had to trim more for this then the 7” ETS on my previous 135i. I had to trim the usual areas on the rad support, but also had to inlet/trim my fan shroud for it to sit high enough to bolt in. If I didn’t the tabs on the intercooler hit the shroud and prevented it from seating. Other than that it’s pretty straight forward, the couplings and clamps can be a pita though.

The TIC was a lot easier to install than I thought it would be and if you’re going to do it I would definitely recommend doing it while you’re already going to have the intercooler out. If you’re upgrading your intercooler at the same time as the TIC pipe you don’t need to worry about cutting/prying the metal band of the factory piping. Basically just unclip the one end from the factory intercooler, remove the intercooler, go up into the engine bay, remove the lower intake from the turbo inlet and you can reach in with needle nose and unclip the factory pipe. Snake that out from the front take the O-ring out and put it in the ER pipe (pay attention to get the O-ring in the right way) I would recommend putting the new coupler and clamp on before trying to snake the ER pipe back in. Then reinstall the factory retaining clip, replace the lower intake pipe, and continue with the intercooler install.

Also wanted to add that I have an ER Charge pipe also, I have no idea how it’ll play with the stock or other companies charge pipes. I only mention this because i had fitment issues in the past with an ER charge pipe and ETS intercooler piping. YMMV

Last edited by DWN-N-OUT; 07-10-2019 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: Charge pipe compatibility.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Evolution Racewerks intercooler is a quality product, i had it on my 07 335. Solid built, top notch wielding and high quality core.
It does require trimming and is one of the most efficient intercoolers on the market.

Standard kit comes with the charge pipe at a discounted price.

Let me know if you'd like to grab an ER FMIC and CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spare View Post
Hi guys,

2013 N55 E82 135i.

Looking to find more info on the ER Competition Intercooler but unlike some of the other big players like VRSF or Wagner, I can't seem to find much info.

Was looking to grab the "Standard Package" I believe it is, that also comes with the ER Chargepipe (and maybe even purchase the ER TIC Pipe while I'm at it?).

Anyone have one of these intercoolers? Is trimming required? Anything else I should know?

Cheers
After following the platform since inception, the trend is a price sensitivity when it comes to a majority of the forum buzz. There are some good options on a budget. ER is on the higher end of the price point so you don't see much talked about as a result. However, it's a great quality FMIC and performer. Anything over 5" will require trimming but it's well worth it.

The standard includes the CP.

There is no TIC for the 07 N54.
Appreciate 0