BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #23
dubluv17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Does anybody know of anyone that has done a projector retrofit with 1 series headlights? I've been looking into it for a while now, but have failed to find anything. Hopefully somebody chimes in now that this thread was created!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 08:30 PM   #24
kevspassat
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Completed my Bavgruppe Designs halo retrofit. Time to whore some pics. Note the channels mold back flat without too much damage or deformation.

IMG_0001 by Kevin Bruning, on Flickr
DSC_5472 by Kevin Bruning, on Flickr
DSC_5500 by Kevin Bruning, on Flickr
IMG_0005 by Kevin Bruning, on Flickr
IMG_0006 by Kevin Bruning, on Flickr
Appreciate 3
acoustix268.00
1and11851.50
Rmtt8206.00
      04-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #25
MN.BIMMER
No Cop No Stop
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Which kit did you buy? I've looked on their website and I see like 3-4 different kits for Pre-LCI E82
      04-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #26
kevspassat
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN.BIMMER View Post
Which kit did you buy? I've looked on their website and I see like 3-4 different kits for Pre-LCI E82
I got the 3/4 flat bottom DTM ring/eyebrow with switchback (turn signals). My car is LCI though.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #27
MN.BIMMER
No Cop No Stop
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevspassat View Post
I got the 3/4 flat bottom DTM ring/eyebrow with switchback (turn signals). My car is LCI though.
AH, mine is a 2012. I didn't realize e82 had an LCI upgrade for NA, I thought only EU received that. Looks like I'll be adding these to my mod list now.
      06-09-2019, 12:39 AM   #28
ThipNg
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E34 540i M-Sport, M235

Nice write up. I will have to try this. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 10:44 AM   #29
nottoofast
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustix View Post
Thanks man!! There's many ways to do them. I tried different methods on four lights. This is by far the easiest and most convenient way I found to do it!
Hey acoustix,

I'm new around these parts and want to first thank you for this write up as it gave me a massive head start on opening my headlights. Unfortunately I have hit a snag regarding how to mount the vision set up with the pre lci e82 xenon headlights. I did notice you have the halogen but was hoping you had so.e pictures or advice. I clearly didn't spend enough time researching this topic as it seems like the vision rings aren't a great match with the insides of the e82 lights in comparison to other tutorials. Honestly, I saw the pretty picture of the grey 1 series with the retrofit and said "if they can do it, so can i". I'm very handy around a construction site and somewhat crafty but I'm having a hard time figuring out a way to mount the rings which I can feel comfortable with long term.... you know permanently lol. Also, I couldn't find the e90post write up but will keep looking. Is it honestly just some 2 sided tape and jb weld? I don't feel like there is enough contact service with the vision setup.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 04:37 PM   #30
acoustix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i/1M Conversion, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottoofast View Post
Quote:
Thanks man!! There's many ways to do them. I tried different methods on four lights. This is by far the easiest and most convenient way I found to do it!
Hey acoustix,

I'm new around these parts and want to first thank you for this write up as it gave me a massive head start on opening my headlights. Unfortunately I have hit a snag regarding how to mount the vision set up with the pre lci e82 xenon headlights. I did notice you have the halogen but was hoping you had so.e pictures or advice. I clearly didn't spend enough time researching this topic as it seems like the vision rings aren't a great match with the insides of the e82 lights in comparison to other tutorials. Honestly, I saw the pretty picture of the grey 1 series with the retrofit and said "if they can do it, so can i". I'm very handy around a construction site and somewhat crafty but I'm having a hard time figuring out a way to mount the rings which I can feel comfortable with long term.... you know permanently lol. Also, I couldn't find the e90post write up but will keep looking. Is it honestly just some 2 sided tape and jb weld? I don't feel like there is enough contact service with the vision setup.

Thanks in advance.
There are many ways to secure them. I actually have bi xenon headlights. I just purchased the lci European lights for the eye brow and clean side marker. What I have done previously is used "halo wire" it's around .4 mm thick and you drill a .5mm hole on either side of the housing and just twist the wire together in the back of the shroud. You will never be able to see it and it works great.

As for the vision rings I believe you need to trim the tops of them to fit right. There is a write up for e92 that may be similar to our lights but I can't say for sure

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bgop8p9xot...20E92.pdf?dl=0
      11-24-2021, 10:03 PM   #31
FayceRanko
Rep
Drives: BMW 135I

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN.BIMMER View Post
AH, mine is a 2012. I didn't realize e82 had an LCI upgrade for NA, I thought only EU received that. Looks like I'll be adding these to my mod list now.
Seconded!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 10:07 PM   #32
FayceRanko
Rep
Drives: BMW 135I

Quote:
Hello 1addicts!!

I think it is fair to say that its been over a decade and there is still no actual write up on how to open you headlights.

I think one of the main reasons is most people don’t want to share their knowledge so they can make money off of offering the service.

To be honest its not hard and you shouldn’t be intimated. Each light takes about 30-45min to open. you don’t need an oven, but it can be beneficial. i personally just used a heat gun as it was easier to massage the channels when it came to cracking them open.

Items required

- Permaseal tool set (they are really beneficial for the underside of the lens. they cut right through the permaseal!)

- Flathead screwdriver. (this is used to pry the channel up during the heating process

- Wood chisels 1/4” & 1/2” (I found these tools really helpful to clean up the permaseal off the lenses and the headlight channels themselves, you get 90% of the surface clean! way better than using a flathead to scrape)

- Morimoto Permatrator (Another useful tool but you don’t actually need it. just speeds up the process a little. it is a solvent that slowly changes the properties of the permaseal to become more butyl like. )

- Morimoto retro rubber (Butyl used to reseal the lights after work is all done!)

- Morimoto headlight sealing clamps or any clamp in general to hold the lens to the headlight during resealing.

Process

Either of these steps work i will be outlining the heathen method as i found it to be more effective and consistent.

- Oven

preheat oven to 350f or 175c. make sure you do not put your headlights in during the preheat procedure. you want them to be in at a consistent temperature for 6-8min. you will have to do this a few times as the lights cool down. follow procedure below for opening.

- Heat Gun

TAPE THE LENS you will almost 99% have a screw driver slide on you. you want to avoid this. if you baked them tape them after they have come out of the oven.

IMG_0863 by dan blythe, on Flickr

If you chose to purchase the permatrator inject it into the channel and into the permaseal itself. let it sit for an hour or so. you can continue to add as you work your way through the process.

With your heat gun on high, gradually go over the top channel of the headlight, work small sections at a time don’t heat it all up at once. Use your flathead to test for softness of the plastic. You don’t want it to be too soft but it can’t be too hard either or you end up risking splitting the plastic.

You will want to start in the middle of the headlight, most people recommend a corner however I found you put a lot more stress on the heated plastic in the corners and they end up stretching a fair bit and wrinkling when it comes time to flatten the channels back.

Once you have your heating method figured out use your flathead to pry UP on the channel. Do this on an angle and work your way down the headlight. if you pry directly up it will also result in wrinkling. You also don’t need to bend it to 90 degrees, 45-60degrees is plentiful and you don’t risk cracking the back of the channel.

Work your way around the headlight BUT leave the corner by the side marker! You can get close to the corner but no more than a 1/2” as you will definitely split it if you get closer and you don’t want that. Also be careful around the clips.

IMG_0972 by dan blythe, on Flickr

IMG_0975 by dan blythe, on Flickr

Once you have gone around the light and opened up the top channel you will now want to get under neath the lens to split the bottom portion of the permaseal.

This is by far the trickiest part. Heating the channel again, I started at the bottom of the light(to hide the initial opening spot), start by scraping out the permaseal with your flathead to expose the back of the headlight lens. you really want to get deep in there but go to far and you can puncture right through the back of the channel!

Once you have gotten a nice view of the back of the lens you will want to apply more heat and slowly insert you screw driver behind the lens and then angling it away from yourself so the tip of the drive is facing toward you, you will hear a few pops, this is the permaseal being broken from the lens and the bottom channel. (the lens may flex a bit don’t worry as long as its warm it won’t crack.)

Once you have done this you can insert a permaseal tool behind the lens and drag it around the headlight. You won’t be able to use the tool for corners however, i recommend a screw driver on an angle.

Work your way around the lens once again. It will become noticeably easier as you work your way through. Once you have gotten to 1/2” away from the corner of the corner light lens you can stop.

Gently lift up and pull and the lens should pop right out of the corner!!

IMG_0976 by dan blythe, on Flickr

IMG_0980 by dan blythe, on Flickr

CLEAN UP

This is pretty straight forward, use a chisel or a screwdriver to clean the channels up, also the leftover permaseal on the lenses. Try and remove as much permaseal as possible. you don’t need to fully remove it all but at least 90%. the butyl can fill in the rest.

Once you have scraped them out, heat the channels up again and do your best to restore them to how they previously were. they should look something like this..

IMG_0978 by dan blythe, on Flickr

IMG_0979 by dan blythe, on Flickr

IMG_0977 by dan blythe, on Flickr

IMG_0967 by dan blythe, on Flickr

MOD THEM

I’m not going to get into the halos there are guides on e90post. if you are changing the corner marker or installing demon eyes its pretty straight forward.

I won’t get too technical but there are clips on the back of the shroud to pop the corner marker. work your way towards the very corner.

IMG_0968 by dan blythe, on Flickr

When installing demon eyes i used a d2s bracket for demon eyes, trimmed it down on either side. I then cut the clear plastic above the projector and slid the d2s bracket in-between the metal surround and the plastic bracket. it is a tight fit and secure. see the picture below.

IMG_0892 by dan blythe, on Flickr

SEAL THEM

Run a strip of retro rubber around the light ( Don’t start in a corner, start in the middle or partway up the side marker) , pushing it into the channel as you go. once you have laid it in you want to pre heat it with the heat gun on low gradually and consistently going around the light. Once again press it into the channel. This will set the butyl and will also prevent shrinkage when the light cools down after the lens is on.

when you have done the above steps Firmly press your lens onto your headlight. don’t for them into the rubber you just want them to be set before they go in the oven.

preheat oven to 350f or 175c. make sure you do not put your headlights in during the preheat procedure. you want them to be in at a consistent temperature for 6min

Remove them from the oven, Press firmly again until they are bottomed out in the channel. clamp the lenses to the housings and wait for them to cool down! clean up the butyl and there you have it. no more $2000 headlight bills just what you pay for in materials!

I hope you all enjoy this little DIY and feel free to ask questions!

Acoustix

IMG_0908 by dan blythe, on Flickr

IMG_0906 by dan blythe, on Flickr

do you happen to know of a thread that goes over how to delete the headlight washer?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 10:56 AM   #33
135i08yes
Rep
Drives: bmw

I wanted to do this and replace my worn out headlight lenses with another spare set I had. I've had some experiences but I always feel like condensation would get inside and I'd put excess amounts of glue and sealant from past experiences with other cars. You guys make it look so easy with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 08:27 PM   #34
bmwboyee
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

I really appreciate the write up. I actually just popped one of mine open today. You have to be extremely careful with the trim that goes around the headlight. Too much heat will warp and one of mine cracked.

Would anyone like a video of how to do this?
Appreciate 0