BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-07-2019, 04:40 PM   #1
FrazM865
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E82

Brake Indicators Reset Issue

Apologies if answered elsewhere but I could not see anything particularly for the E82.

My issue is that I have replaced my front discs & pads on my E82 as they needed done plus the car was telling me I had under 1000 miles to left on the countdown.
I did not replace the sensor as it visually looked ok plus it had not ‘tripped’.
Following this I went through the normal procedure to reset the countdown but i’ve now been left with a _______ reading.
As I wasn’t sure what happened I foolishly tried to reset my rears also see if they reset ok but I now get the same reading for them - they are fine and nowhere close to needing replacement.
In addition to these readings I’m also receiving warnings on the dash - the car on ramp and (!). From reading the manual I see this means brake pads are worn.
I see suggestions elsewhere that replacing the front sensor will allow the reset to work, can anyone confirm this?
If my old sensor is ok, can I just unplug & replug this to allow the reset?
Finally, will resetting the fronts allow the backs to also be reset or would I have to follow a similar process for them?

Thanks

Last edited by FrazM865; 06-07-2019 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: Small addition
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 04:58 PM   #2
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #3
FrazM865
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
That’s the reset procedure I followed and has left me with the _____ readings & warnings.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrazM865 View Post
Apologies if answered elsewhere but I could not see anything particularly for the E82.

My issue is that I have replaced my front discs & pads on my E82 as they needed done plus the car was telling me I had under 1000 miles to left on the countdown.
I did not replace the sensor as it visually looked ok plus it had not ‘tripped’.
Following this I went through the normal procedure to reset the countdown but i’ve now been left with a _______ reading.
As I wasn’t sure what happened I foolishly tried to reset my rears also see if they reset ok but I now get the same reading for them - they are fine and nowhere close to needing replacement.
Once the pad light is RED, you will need a new sensor.

Quote:
In addition to these readings I’m also receiving warnings on the dash - the car on ramp and (!). From reading the manual I see this means brake pads are worn.
I see suggestions elsewhere that replacing the front sensor will allow the reset to work, can anyone confirm this?
If my old sensor is ok, can I just unplug & replug this to allow the reset?
Finally, will resetting the fronts allow the backs to also be reset or would I have to follow a similar process for them?

Thanks
Nope. The car on the ramp or lift means your car is due for it's bi-yearly service. Some cars have this set to every two years. So dealers when they did the PDI did not activate this service light. You can turn it off via the iDrive or by using an App or OBDII code reader or the BMW software.

No, unplugging the sensor won't reset the light. Some have had luck using a jumper wire where the sensor plugs into the car and THEN trying to reset the brake pad light. But most find that you need a new pad wear sensor.

DIY resetting service "due" lights…
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415111

Using an App like Carly might also work. There is another app too that's better but I forget its name.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 04:46 AM   #5
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Has anyone "jumped" this circuit by just wiring it in series with no issues?

I haven't had to do brakes yet, but from what I've read it's just a sensor looking for continuity.

I don't need a sensor telling me when something like this is due.
      06-08-2019, 07:59 AM   #6
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post

I haven't had to do brakes yet, but from what I've read it's just a sensor looking for continuity.

Yes, my rear sensor tripped so I cut the sensor off the wires, soldered the two wires together and zip tied to a control arm, then reset and have had no problems since. That was years and at least 20k miles ago.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8208.00
      06-13-2019, 03:01 PM   #7
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I did the back but not the front and still couldn't reset the indicator. When I did the brakes I bought two new sensors, put the back behind the inner fender and installed the front (didn't see any place to tie it up that I had high confidence in). I thought the front sensor was OK but when I replaced both it reset fine. The sensors can be pretty cheap (I got pads and sensors from Rock Auto). It is unfortunate that they are so thick. They trigger when you have quite a bit of pad left. But if you are doing brakes, replacing them doesn't add significant time or expense. I tied the back one up because I do not think I really need these sensors. My 1 is a manual that doesn't see track duty so my brakes last a really long time. I also know how to inspect them and would rather my car not give me premature "warnings".

But cars trying to out think us is becoming more and more the norm.
Rmtt8208.00
      07-07-2019, 05:04 PM   #8
GuamX1
First Lieutenant
Guam
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 135i, 08 128 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post

Yes, my rear sensor tripped so I cut the sensor off the wires, soldered the two wires together and zip tied to a control arm, then reset and have had no problems since. That was years and at least 20k miles ago.
This is what I will do I dont need a sensor to tell me when pads are due for replacement

2013 BMW X1 * 1973 Clubman GT * 2016 Mazda MX5 * 2000 Honda S2000
2004 BMW 325i Touring * 2009 BMW X5 3.0xdrive
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8208.00