BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-29-2016, 05:34 AM   #45
crankestein
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

+1 for the intent

giving out some ideas to have a more profound effect... ja ja jk

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 08:48 AM   #46
Cheungs
Not that left, your other left!
Australia
Rep
Drives: SG BMW 130i

Hahaha, I showed my Mrs the photo and she wasn't impressed,

One can dream!

- Build Thread -
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 07:53 AM   #47
kcin
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: Bmw 118d

Beautiful car I love the modifications you did to it. Although I am a bit jealous on those e82 lci xenon headlights, love them

Good job
      06-17-2016, 09:47 PM   #48
hks200
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

car looks amazing! i actually just fitted a 135i muffler to my car today however didn't get the Y pipe done yet as they don't have the Y pipe in stock. Do you have a photo of the setup by any chance? (fyi listened to your youtube vid so many times!)
      06-20-2016, 02:36 AM   #49
Cheungs
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
Beautiful car I love the modifications you did to it. Although I am a bit jealous on those e82 lci xenon headlights, love them

Good job
Thanks mate! Yeah I love the look

- Build Thread -
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 02:41 AM   #50
Cheungs
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks200 View Post
car looks amazing! i actually just fitted a 135i muffler to my car today however didn't get the Y pipe done yet as they don't have the Y pipe in stock. Do you have a photo of the setup by any chance? (fyi listened to your youtube vid so many times!)
Oh cheers! Glad to know it helped!

I didn't get the OEM Y Pipe, I had the exhaust shop make a Y pipe for me. Here are some pics.

- Build Thread -
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2016, 03:40 AM   #51
hks200
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

perfect! thank you for that
      01-11-2017, 08:19 PM   #52
Cheungs
Australia
Rep

12/1/17 - Servicing

Car was in need of some TLC and finally lined up a couple of days to get everything over and done with in one shot.

- Rebuild both DISA valves, replace intake manifold gaskets
- Oil Cooler/Filter Gaskets
- Replace Power Steering Reservoir
- Drain, Flush, Refill Coolant
- Replace Starter Motor (preventative)
- Air Filter clean and oil
- VANOS flush and clean

• Fault Code: 002AAC Variable Intake Manifold Actuator 2

For a couple of months I had noticed slight hesitation in acceleration coupled with a lack of performance. Idle had also become quite rough, the RPMs would bounce between 5 and 7k. Used iCarly to see if any faults were recorded even though no lights.

Got the above code and started researching and it relates to what BMW call DISA valves.

Apparently on the M54 engines, these variable valves are a major issue with a small part that can break off and enter the engine. On the N52 it's mostly just a matter of the gears wearing out and the valve flaps no longer working.

Actuator 2 is the larger DISA valve on the outer side of the intake manifold that is quite easy to get to and I urge other n52 owners to check theirs. It's the DISA valve on the inside that's the real pain to get to and that means the intake manifold has to come out. Where those two studs are on the bottom right, is where your power steering reservoir usually sits.

To take the intake manifold out is a complete PITA if you're going to attempt to get in there. I would say unless you're getting codes for the smaller DISA, just leave it. I only took it out because my starter motor needed replacing.

My larger DISA valve was shot. With the smaller valve having a little play. The flap should be firm open when car off with no play at all, but mine was just flapping around. You can see just how worn the spindle gear is in this photo below.

You can order kits online from a Russian supplier that allows you to split the DISA valve units open and replace the spindle and assosciated gears with metal ones that should last the rest of the life of the car. Can be found on eBay. PM me if you need more info.

• Oil Cooler/Filter Gaskets

Common problem on this car is that the gaskets surrounding the oil filter, which incorporates a cooler as well gets worn out and will start leaking.

Work was made easier for me because I drained the coolant out, but it can be done without going to the hassle. Follow this e90post DIY for more info. Highly recommend those flexible bendy ratchet screwdrivers or anything that can fit in a small space cause it's extremely tight.

The oil cooler gasket on mine was not too bad, although would have required replacement soon. The filter gasket though was thoroughly cooked.

• Power Steering Flush and Replace Reservoir

The filter inside is built into the unit, and I don't think mine has ever been replaced. The outside of the housing especially around the vent cap was filthy and had to go. Ashamed I neglected it for so long. The housing costs peanuts, you just reuse the old securing brace and supply your own hose clamps.

I sucked all the fluid out of the reservoir and drained the rest from the rack, turning the wheel lock to lock to get it all out. There's a procedure you need to follow that is explained in this e90post DIY.

• Coolant Drain, Flush and Refill

Got a warning light for coolant so thought i'd go ahead and drain, flush and refill.
BMW Coolant 50/50 mix with destilled water. What a major hassle it was to find 'destilled' water, every shop I went to only sold 'demineralised' and wasn't sure if it was compatible. Ended up finding it at Coles in 1L small bottles.

RealOEM showed 2 drain locations on the radiator for my car, but I swear there was only one on the far side of the radiator.

Follow this e90post DIY as it's roughly the same for us. Including the venting procedure that's very important. I was expecting it to be way louder than it was from reading about it, but it's really like a super quiet dishwasher.

• Starter Motor Replacement

On cold start the car had a slight hesitation firing up. A couple of things came to mind and I started going through them one by one from easiest to hardest.

1. Battery - Replaced with a big fat Varta. Still no fix.
2. Fuel Pump/Filter - Apparently not a replaceable item on this car, or so I read about. Major PITA to get to.
3. Starter Motor - Major PITA to get to. Maybe moreso than the fuel pump/filter. Problem Fixed

Intake manifold had to come out. I tell you what, worst job i've ever DIY'd and i've done subframe bushes in the past with no hoist. Geez, honestly feeling around unplugging wires blind trying your best to mentally remember how it felt and where it went. (Luckily BMW mostly use connectors that are all different unless they can be interchanged).

Don't get me started on the exhaust tubing into the back of the intake manifold that has connectors that require such finesse it took me hours to get right, but on top of that they are brittle as well. If you're going to do this make sure you're absolutely careful with them, or have spares on standby.

Finally, there's a trick to this wiring terminal box/bank unit that you can see in the picture bottom. Don't spend hours trying to pry the unit off, definitely don't unplug those wires, but instead undo the bracket that holds the whole thing to the manifold. You can pry it off the bracket much easier with more leverage.

The starter motor is right at the bottom down the back, and will require new Alu screws as you're not supposed to reuse them.

The rest of the air filter cleaning, and the VANOS cleaning, is all pretty standard can be found already posted.

- Build Thread -

Last edited by Cheungs; 01-11-2017 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-08-2018, 01:55 AM   #53
awhc
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4 3.0si

Nice thread! My car is 2007, so I assume it is LCI. But my xenon lights do not have an eye brow like the ones you installed. I think those are from E82? Are the E82 LCI and E87 LCI headlights the same or do they have different angel eye setup to have the inner and outer ring light up evenly?

I've tried a few ebay H8 bulbs and they don't see to light the inner and outer ring evenly because there are light tubes running to the outer rings.

Do you have a photo of your car with the LCI headlight and the CREE H8 LED you installed? I assume you only had 1 CREE H8 LED per headlight?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 10:25 PM   #54
Cheungs
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhc View Post
Nice thread! My car is 2007, so I assume it is LCI. But my xenon lights do not have an eye brow like the ones you installed. I think those are from E82? Are the E82 LCI and E87 LCI headlights the same or do they have different angel eye setup to have the inner and outer ring light up evenly?
Thanks mate!

To be honest I always thought LCI models had the revised headlight with eyebrow and bulb change to H8 but surely if you have a 2007 and a H8 bulb then it's LCI.

All E8x headlights are the same shape, and unfortunately the light will never be evenly distributed no matter what bulb just due to the acrylic tube design.

- Build Thread -
Appreciate 0