BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
skiguy1981
Mike is cool
United_States
Rep
Drives: White '09 135i

Zaino?

How is the Z-2Pro? I heard it was "the best stuff ever" is it? And do you need to buy the ZXF Flash cure as well?

Thanks for the help

If anyone knows of anything beter that cost around the same amount ($35) let me know

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

There's no real answer to what's the best. Product works differently depending on prep work, humidity, water hardness, etc. However, I do keep using Zaino products, and really like Z2pro. It's a warmer, more carnauba style finish than the old Z2, but also appears to offer a little longer protection.

You can use Z1 in place of ZFX, but ZFX is money well spent in my opinion. There are plenty of similar products, Zaino Z5 offers lots of the same qualities with the ability to hide any imperfections a little better. I bounce back and forth from Menzerna FMJ and Zaino, I think both work great as a last layer of protection. Klasse Sealant Glaze is pretty similar in terms of protection and cost, but can be a little trickier to apply. Wolfgang and Poorboys also make similar products.

Try it, and a few others. You'll likely find things you like about Zaino, and things you might not. There really isn't a perfect product, just ones that you're comfortable working with.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
Call
Call
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 08 & 07 X5, 05 MCSC

Look at it this way, you are already interested in Zaino or you wouldn't be asking about it. You will not find a better product to do what you need for it to do for the finish on your ONE, inside & out at a very reasonable price; it's fun to do and the results are exceeded by no other product of it's kind on the market. Plus, year end and year out it no more expense than any other product that may claim to do what I know Zaino can do and has done on all my vehicles for the last eight years and may very well be less expense in the long run.

Some call me the InZainoBling SuperHero...you might just say the same after using their products...they're that good

Call
      03-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Z2 Pro is a great product, but it's not the easiest to work with in my experience. You have to apply it verrrry sparingly or you'll get streaks (like I did). Also, if it's not hot out it can take forever to dry. I found that the Z5 didn't do much to hide imperfections in my Jet Black paint, but I haven't layered it yet.

But the shine is second to none. I wish I could find a product that "wipes on and wipes off" with the same results.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
Matt60158
///M
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
Z2 Pro is a great product, but it's not the easiest to work with in my experience. You have to apply it verrrry sparingly or you'll get streaks (like I did). Also, if it's not hot out it can take forever to dry. I found that the Z5 didn't do much to hide imperfections in my Jet Black paint, but I haven't layered it yet.

But the shine is second to none. I wish I could find a product that "wipes on and wipes off" with the same results.
I might have an answer for the "wipes on and wipes off".

First, make sure you moisten the applicator with Z6 this makes spreading the product sparingly easier. Then, try not to use more than a dime sized amount per panel(the layer may only be visible up close. You will probably be doing multiple coats so don't worry about missing a small spot.

Most importantly I discovered that the application pressure is key. The harder you press the pad down the harder you will have to buff. Don't use more then the weight and of hand and it shouldn't require any more pressure than that to remove the product. If it doesn't remove cleanly by wiping your finger across a small portion it is not yet dry.

Let me know if this helps you any with your next application.
      03-23-2009, 10:48 PM   #6
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Off topic from "Z-2Pro," but on-topic with the "want to try Zaino" line:

I want that mirror look that Zaino gives but I hesitate for two reasons.

How much of a mirror look can I really expect on a white car?

I'm really nervous about the "dawn detergent" to eat off the current wax. I just don't like the idea of leaving my car without it's protective shield even for a moment! For those who did it themselves, how did yours turn out?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
soupy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Z-2 on alpine white is sick, go for it. The best part is that it last extremely long after you do the first application and all it takes is washing with automotive car wash solution for weekly/bi-weekly maintenance. I typically like to start with a layer of Z-5 since it has some filler in it to hide light swirls and marring (which I will polish out w/ my Flex tool when spring really kicks in).

Don't be nervous w/ dawn removing your existing wax. Besides, your car was sitting at a parking lot completely unprotected during delivery/prep exposed to bird poop, rain, rail dust, salt water, etc. Just make sure you start off wiping the panel you're applying Z2 to w/ some Z6 to make sure all the dust and waterspots are removed during the down time between washing and waxing.

Alpine White, Coral Red Leather, Sport Package, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 11:54 PM   #8
skiguy1981
Mike is cool
United_States
Rep
Drives: White '09 135i

thanks for all of the info
one more question is this the right order

wash car, clay bar, zaino, wax?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #9
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Wash Car, Clay Bar (if needed), Z5 , Z2, Z6 then Z2, Z6 then CS. Wax not really required.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 07:09 AM   #10
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

anyone tried their AIO product? I bought it for my AW just to try it out and it seems like its for me cause im like real lazy!

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 09:20 AM   #11
rocketpop
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

I used AIO followed by CS (clear seal) - great results. I use to use Z2 with ZFX, AIO is much easier for us lazy people. LOL
      03-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #12
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

great, Thanks!

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #13
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt60158 View Post
I might have an answer for the "wipes on and wipes off".

First, make sure you moisten the applicator with Z6 this makes spreading the product sparingly easier. Then, try not to use more than a dime sized amount per panel(the layer may only be visible up close. You will probably be doing multiple coats so don't worry about missing a small spot.

Most importantly I discovered that the application pressure is key. The harder you press the pad down the harder you will have to buff. Don't use more then the weight and of hand and it shouldn't require any more pressure than that to remove the product. If it doesn't remove cleanly by wiping your finger across a small portion it is not yet dry.

Let me know if this helps you any with your next application.
Thanks, I'll give those tips a try. FWIW, I think that when the weather heats up it will be a little bit better to work with anyways.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0