BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #23
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ~ View Post
And am I the only one that has laid eyes on a beat-down 1991 four door base model lowered Civic with a huge wing, giant exhaust, big stickers (some kind of racing), and BMW or Mercedes emblems on it?
I've seen similar monstrosities here in the Bay Area. I don't understand that mentality at all. What motivates a person to drive around looking like a damned fool?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 09:29 PM   #24
chemhalo
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
I've seen similar monstrosities here in the Bay Area. I don't understand that mentality at all. What motivates a person to drive around looking like a damned fool?
In college i remember a toyota TERCEL... yes TERCEL with a BMW ish body kit on it. Made me wanna throw up.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 10:28 PM   #25
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

you can go without the badges. take them off with a hair dryer or ask the dealer to.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 11:51 PM   #26
RXC135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Blue Water 135i Coupe

yup, hair dryer and dental floss does wonders or just opt out if you are ordering the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2007, 07:23 AM   #27
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXC135i View Post
yup, hair dryer and dental floss does wonders or just opt out if you are ordering the car.
U.S. doesn't usually get a 'badge delete' option. In fact our packages and ala carte options have been significantly different from European offerings. Typically, more things are standard, sunroof for example, and more options are packaged together, leaving less ala carte choices.
      09-24-2007, 10:12 AM   #28
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS-F

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1enthusiast View Post
BMW is a luxury car company, if you can't shell out the money for a less reliable product your better off getting a Honda or a Scion.
Fixed. Nice to to see the badge queens have made it to the 1er forums now...

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 01:17 PM   #29
UJackM
Private
Rep
Drives:

I am obviously hanged up on the price (like many others), but it looks like 128 for pretty close to $30k, which means you pay more than $30k as a walk out price for the base. If you consider retrospective, the base 3 series before the model change was below $30K, so it comes close to that model. BMW has cleverly delaied the launch of 1-series, let 3 series' prices creep up (who was the mastermind behind 325 to 328 conversion?), made a room and just under $30K look like a steal. Marketing genious, but if you look at what kind of money they sell their products in Europe, I guess it is still a steal for real...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 01:57 PM   #30
RXC135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Blue Water 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
U.S. doesn't usually get a 'badge delete' option. In fact our packages and ala carte options have been significantly different from European offerings.
I am only stationed over here so my options through military sales are the same as the US market but my dealer stated that "badge delete" would be an option for me.:iono:
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2007, 02:52 PM   #31
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXC135i View Post
I am only stationed over here so my options through military sales are the same as the US market but my dealer stated that "badge delete" would be an option for me.:iono:
Great! Ask the dealer if you could also get Sunroof Delete (not that you'd want it, but just to hear his answer).
      09-30-2007, 03:49 PM   #32
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbent View Post
I have to agree 100%. As a newbie looking over this forum for the last week, I see a definate trend among many members. The idea of a reasonably/fairly priced BMW really seems to rub some people the wrong way. I have been a BMW fan for years because of the performance & driving dynamics of the cars, but there are definately lots of folks out there that are in love with the idea of being a "BMW-Owner". If these people don't pay through the nose for their cars/house/designer whatever..., they feel somehow less special!
I have been following the 1 Series story right from the beginning, and unless BMW has changed their entire market plan for the 1er, I think the pricing is going to come in on the lower side of all the estimates flying around out there. Trying to compair UK/European pricing with what we will pay is a waste of time. Remember that the US is BMW's biggest market, and with the pressure coming from Audi,Acura,Infinity...,they need to price this car aggresivelly to bring entry level customers into the fold.
I recall similar speculation about the MINI before it was released, & I think everyone would now agree that the MINI is priced very competetively for the quality & performance that it delivers.
Only time will tell, let's just hope that those of us that drive BMW's for the right reasons are not disapointed.

LOL...

Just go test drive a BMW, any BMW.

Not one of those cursarary a 10 minute test drive either, but a good 30 minute drive.

The 1 series is an inexpensive BMW and so I guess that means that many here are getting their feet wet with BMW. Meaning, they are clueless... and compairing this 1 series to anything in this price range is hard. Only because they don't have a foundation for the engineering and drivability that is part of the DNA of BMW.

Those that know and experience this daily don't think about it any more.

Porsche are awsome sportscars, but somehow feel lacking when traveling more than an hour. If your pretty rich and have money for a second car to track 2-5 times a year, than buy a Porsche. I almost pulled the trigger on a Porsche Cayman S, but when you get to know the car, it's too involving to enjoy everyday.

The 135i will not dissapoint! Many here concerned over a few grand or "how good" this car is just need to wait to test drive it. But compairing it stat-wize to other cars in catergory is pointless. Absolutly pointless!

I simply adore the minimal, spartan interior of the e82 over the e90. Thats why I don't own a 335i.... because I was sooo in love with the e46 driver-centric design. SO, here I am waiting like the rest of you to test drive a new 1 series (135i).

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #33
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
LOL...

Just go test drive a BMW, any BMW.

Not one of those cursarary a 10 minute test drive either, but a good 30 minute drive.

The 1 series is an inexpensive BMW and so I guess that means that many here are getting their feet wet with BMW. Meaning, they are clueless... and compairing this 1 series to anything in this price range is hard. Only because they don't have a foundation for the engineering and drivability that is part of the DNA of BMW.

Those that know and experience this daily don't think about it any more.

Porsche are awsome sportscars, but somehow feel lacking when traveling more than an hour. If your pretty rich and have money for a second car to track 2-5 times a year, than buy a Porsche. I almost pulled the trigger on a Porsche Cayman S, but when you get to know the car, it's too involving to enjoy everyday.

The 135i will not dissapoint! Many here concerned over a few grand or "how good" this car is just need to wait to test drive it. But compairing it stat-wize to other cars in catergory is pointless. Absolutly pointless!

I simply adore the minimal, spartan interior of the e82 over the e90. Thats why I don't own a 335i.... because I was sooo in love with the e46 driver-centric design. SO, here I am waiting like the rest of you to test drive a new 1 series (135i).

-Garrett
I'm sure BMW would love to live in a fantasy world where people were willing to throw around a "few grand" for one of their cars just because it's a BMW, but they are painfully aware of the pressure on their market share coming from every corner of the globe.

I'm sure there are quite a few people out there like Garrett who will spend the extra money for the driving dynamics of the car, but not nearly enough to make the 1 Series a success in the US if it is priced to high.

There was a time not to many years ago when a large portion of BMW's cutomers were real driving enthusiasts, but that has changed drastically in the last 5-10 years, and BMW needs to be competitive with both pricing & design to keep growing it's market share. Anyone who needs proof of this needs only look at the list of standard features on any new Bimmer, to see how the shift in priorities has impacted the vehicles that they sell.

Whether BMW or any of us like it, there are more & more good cars competing for the same dollars every year.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #34
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

It would be interesting to find out who on this board spent 50-60k on a BMW with incomes under 100k(!).....my priorities are my kids and their college.....I'm not going to drive a 60k BMW in South FL traffic thinking I'm "Mr Autobahn" while my kids rack up tons of student loan debt.... .....I can think of only 1 road down here where I can be "driving enthusiastic", the Sawgrass Expressway....unfortunately it's teeming with FHP....cmon folks, from your signatures, very few of you are from places where you can open up these cars on the road without risking serious repercussions from the law or risking death(anyone from Montana?).....and besides, the average driver, and I'm addressing everyone on this board without serious professional instruction or experience, has absolutely no business driving any BMW over 100-110 mph on a road....

That's why the 135 appeals to me......the thought of nice off the line and passing performance throwing me back in my seat, good looks, at a reasonable 38k (?)......my car will never be driven over 90 MPH and I'm proud of that fact.....
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2007, 07:36 PM   #35
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslik1 View Post
Fixed. Nice to to see the badge queens have made it to the 1er forums now...

It will happen eventually. E90 use to be informative and consist of a mature crowd. Now it's just bunch of kids with baller mentality.
      10-03-2007, 11:57 AM   #36
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

From my experience some BMW owners are just like everyone else and love the car for what it is. Some its a status symbol. Go troll the 6 series fourms on bimmerfest and you can see alot of this tude. Like calling people who park next to their 650 in parking lots "ferals".

Some of the best car people I have talked with have been M3 owners (almost bought a used one istead of my RX8).
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 10:33 AM   #37
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESLAASTRO View Post
It would be interesting to find out who on this board spent 50-60k on a BMW with incomes under 100k(!).....my priorities are my kids and their college.....I'm not going to drive a 60k BMW in South FL traffic thinking I'm "Mr Autobahn" while my kids rack up tons of student loan debt.... .....I can think of only 1 road down here where I can be "driving enthusiastic", the Sawgrass Expressway....unfortunately it's teeming with FHP....cmon folks, from your signatures, very few of you are from places where you can open up these cars on the road without risking serious repercussions from the law or risking death(anyone from Montana?).....and besides, the average driver, and I'm addressing everyone on this board without serious professional instruction or experience, has absolutely no business driving any BMW over 100-110 mph on a road....

That's why the 135 appeals to me......the thought of nice off the line and passing performance throwing me back in my seat, good looks, at a reasonable 38k (?)......my car will never be driven over 90 MPH and I'm proud of that fact.....

somehow I like this post..! gj
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 10:48 AM   #38
9600baud
Private
Rep
Drives: Feet

In for BMW Corolla pics
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 11:19 AM   #39
asv
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Your comparing Apples to oranges. If you want a car that drives like Volvo, go buy a Volvo and you will pay a Volvo price. Don't expect to buy a BMW and pay a Volvo price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmr_razr View Post
Volvo C30's MSRP is $22,700 , premium is $25,700 and it's has 227 bhp turbo-charged 5cy

227 bhp = $ 22,700 ... so 300 bhp = ?
it's pure math... $30,000 exactly ... for premium... it could well reach to $33k...as for volvo...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #40
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure BMW would love to live in a fantasy world where people were willing to throw around a "few grand" for one of their cars just because it's a BMW, but they are painfully aware of the pressure on their market share coming from every corner of the globe.

I'm sure there are quite a few people out there like Garrett who will spend the extra money for the driving dynamics of the car, but not nearly enough to make the 1 Series a success in the US if it is priced to high.

There was a time not to many years ago when a large portion of BMW's cutomers were real driving enthusiasts, but that has changed drastically in the last 5-10 years, and BMW needs to be competitive with both pricing & design to keep growing it's market share. Anyone who needs proof of this needs only look at the list of standard features on any new Bimmer, to see how the shift in priorities has impacted the vehicles that they sell.

Whether BMW or any of us like it, there are more & more good cars competing for the same dollars every year.

But people will and do... Once you own a BMW it's hard to drive anything else. It's hard to explain unless you owned one.

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 07:55 PM   #41
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
But people will and do... Once you own a BMW it's hard to drive anything else. It's hard to explain unless you owned one.

-Garrett
Not to get personal about this, but I may have some idea what the "real BMW driving experience " is about, having owned both a 1987 325 ES & a 1988 M5.

My current daily driver is a 2004 MINI Cooper S (w/custom exhaust, 15% pulley, C/A intake) as well as a 1979 Austin Mini (1275) & a 1974 Morris Mini 1000. So I have a little experience with BMW's & going around corners at speed.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #42
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Not to get personal about this, but I may have some idea what the "real BMW driving experience " is about, having owned both a 1987 325 ES & a 1988 M5.

My current daily driver is a 2004 MINI Cooper S (w/custom exhaust, 15% pulley, C/A intake) as well as a 1979 Austin Mini (1275) & a 1974 Morris Mini 1000. So I have a little experience with BMW's & going around corners at speed.

??

:iono:
Appreciate 0