BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-04-2020, 10:11 PM   #1
readytogo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is Coupe

TPMS woes -

Went to COSTCO to replace my hideous RF tires that came with my 135is. Nobody could touch their price with install and balancing. My new MICHELIN Pilot Sport All Season 4's are a huge improvement. Luv them.

BUT, instead of having them to a soft-rebuild ($3 each) on the tire sensors that came with the car (my car only has 11k miles on it), I told them to install 4 new TPMS's from DILL (Redi-Sensor 5001) at a price of $43 each. That's the brand that they carry.

Unfortunately, I can't get them the new sensors to relearn. Ugh -

I checked these sensors and they appear to have the same frequency as factory sensors:
DILL P/N 5001
FREQUENCY 433MHz
DESCRIPTION Pre-programmed for 35% of 433MHz applications, programmable for most others; includes VS-240MC

And, yes. The tire pressures on all 4 tires are correct.

Has anybody run into a similar situation?

Last edited by readytogo; 12-04-2020 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytogo View Post
Went to COSTCO to replace my hideous RF tires that came with my 135is. Nobody could touch their price with install and balancing. My new MICHELIN Pilot Sport All Season 4's are a huge improvement. Luv them.

BUT, instead of having them to a soft-rebuild ($3 each) on the tire sensors that came with the car (my car only has 11k miles on it), I told them to install 4 new TPMS's from DILL (Redi-Sensor 5001) at a price of $43 each. That's the brand that they carry.

I checked these sensors and they appear to have the same frequency as factory sensors:
DILL P/N 5001
FREQUENCY 433MHz
DESCRIPTION Pre-programmed for 35% of 433MHz applications, programmable for most others; includes VS-240MC

Is it that your car can't read the sensors?

Or your car can read them but is still saying it low or high?

There's a procedure to reset your tpms.

If you know your tires are at the correct pressure you can do the procedure to set them as correct.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/erwinsa...uction-manual/
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 05:40 PM   #3
readytogo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

tpms woes

Thanks for the info -

I tried those instructions with my Idrive. Drove a bunch of miles over 20mph. The dash just posts that low-pressure light and doesn't identify one specific tire.

arghhh -

Last edited by readytogo; 12-05-2020 at 10:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #4
one 35i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSM/terra

Depending on year, there are two frequencies used on 135i. Are you sure they got the correct replacements?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 12:50 PM   #5
readytogo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

2 different frequencies?

That's useful, thx

Where can I find the factory frequency specs for a 135is? Maybe they gave me the TPMS part using a frequency for a 135i or a 128i?
      12-09-2020, 12:20 AM   #6
readytogo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Happy ending

Quote:

DILL P/N 5001
FREQUENCY 433MHz

SOLVED:
took my car back to Costco. They said their TPMS sensors were working on all 4 tires but it's having problems communicating with the ECM. They suggested taking the car to the dealer to get it sorted out. Huh?

I told them to reinstall my original sensors. The light was on but after doing the relearning procedure the dashboard light went off shortly after I left.

MORAL OF THE STORY:
Don't buy those sensors from DILL
      12-10-2020, 10:50 PM   #7
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Just FYI some of the after market TPMS are programmable. Last time I changed tires I decided to change them out b/c mine were 10 yrs old. I looked up what I thought was the right part number & the tire shop ordered them. When they went to install them they wouldn't work.

The tire shop had some generic programmable ones that they put on a d they worked. They can be either frequency and the shop had a tool to change them.
      12-13-2020, 08:40 PM   #8
readytogo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Just FYI some of the after-market TPMS are programmable. Last time I changed tires I decided to change them out b/c mine were 10 yrs old. I looked up what I thought was the right part number & the tire shop ordered them. When they went to install them they wouldn't work.

The tire shop had some generic programmable ones that they put on a d they worked. They can be either frequency and the shop had a tool to change them.

Thanks -

That's good to know. I wonder what type of tool is used? What's it called?
Aftermarket vendors should clearly state this on their packaging. It's not on the (DILL) manufacturer's website, either.

Anyways, the Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4 tires are a GOD-send. Before, I felt like I was driving a jack-hammer.

Run-flat tires are the pits.
      12-14-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Thanks -

That's good to know. I wonder what type of tool is used? What's it called?
Aftermarket vendors should clearly state this on their packaging. It's not on the (DILL) manufacturer's website, either.

Anyways, the Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4 tires are a GOD-send. Before, I felt like I was driving a jack-hammer.

Run-flat tires are the pits.
Not sure what type of tool is needed, I've seen techs check the sensors with a little handheld unit they put near the valve and can read the sensor including battery life, I imagine it's probably that same tool. And probably would have worked on your new DILL sensors since as you put in your first post:

"DESCRIPTION Pre-programmed for 35% of 433MHz applications, programmable for most others; includes VS-240MC"
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 04:47 PM   #10
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
I'm in the same position, just got a set or tires installed at Costco. One of my sensors died in February and I've been dealing with "TPMS inactive" ever since. Still no luck resetting TPMS in my non-Idrive car even with the new sensors.

I had to fight with them to install the 4 new Huff sensors I bought and know are correct. They told me they only install their sensors and they didn't sell any for my car. Manager finally caved and installed my sensors, but I'm still stuck with the TPMS inactive error. Don't think it was the RDC since I first got errors couple times during a cold snap, then the issue with gauges shutting off, the trifecta of errors, etc. and a constant light after that.

Gonna check the RDC and antennas this weekend. Hopefully something just got unplugged.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 10:35 PM   #11
readytogo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

OEM vs DILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
Not sure what type of tool is needed, I've seen techs check the sensors with a little handheld unit they put near the valve and can read the sensor including battery life, I imagine it's probably that same tool. And probably would have worked on your new DILL sensors since as you put in your first post:

"DESCRIPTION Pre-programmed for 35% of 433MHz applications, programmable for most others; includes VS-240MC"
COSTCO wanted me to go to the BMW dealer and get their TPMS sensors programmed. But if you know anything about new-car dealers, they do not touch aftermarket parts. I understand it, though. Once you touch it - you own it.
      12-18-2020, 10:38 PM   #12
readytogo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

65% of the time they won't work off the shelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post

namely, the other 65% you're on your own - Bad odds.
      12-21-2020, 10:13 AM   #13
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
COSTCO wanted me to go to the BMW dealer and get their TPMS sensors programmed. But if you know anything about new-car dealers, they do not touch aftermarket parts. I understand it, though. Once you touch it - you own it.
That's unfortunate. Just like getting wheels properly balanced, I would say sale/installation of the TPMS should include programming, especially if they sell you the TPMS as compatible with your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 08:55 PM   #14
tommyt2010
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128

What year is you car?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 10:28 PM   #15
readytogo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt2010 View Post
What year is you car?
mine is 2013, not sure of the other members who chimed in
      03-04-2021, 04:48 PM   #16
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Recently got a similar issue with my sensors. 2013 135is non-idrive. New tires, wheels and sensors (36106874829, 433mhz, bought them off ebay) 10k miles ago.

Randomly got the tpms light pop up, went and checked the pressure (36/38). All good, light is still on. I went to do the reset procedure and it basically won't let me. Just says "inactive", nothing else. I know there should be a "reset" option but its not there. Holding down the button does nothing. Weird..

I load up Protool and try to manually start the TPMS reset. It says "This operation cannot be done". Perplexed... I thought one of the sensors were shot since I bought them off ebay, it's possible I guess. Ran over to a tire shop and had them scan all 4 and they state they are working. So .. here I am. Who's got ideas?
Appreciate 0