BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-28-2021, 12:28 PM   #1
cptgonzo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i sport pkg.

Failed MHD unable to reach DME

I was flashing my car back to Back end flash mode on MHD when it failed. All the dash lights are lit up and there is a pump running as well. I have tried to re-flash with MHD but get a message "Could not contact the DME. Make sure your ignition is ON and the OBD cable is plugged." I am also unable to connect to the JB4 now as well as unable to pull codes with a generic DTC reader. I have everything set up for INPA and winfkp, but I am still unable to connect to the DME. Am I completely boned and will have to either tow to somewhere to re flash the DME/replace? or is there a way to use expert mode to force flash the DME back to life. I am able to connect wiht INPA without issue and can connect to other modules. I have checked the fuses under the hood as well as in the glove box, but everyone I have checked was fine. I pulled the battery out and charged it fully up and have been attempting MHD flash with the charger (40 amp) on it with no success. from what I gather the ZB that was flashed was 8685006 - MEVD17.

Any advice? or ideas of how to flash the DME back to stock?

Thanks, it really sucks not being able to drive
      03-01-2021, 09:17 AM   #2
cptgonzo
Private
Rep

been talking with MHD and next step is to remove JB4 and attempt to flash. Will be doing that today.
      03-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #3
cptgonzo
Private
Rep

removed JB4 completely, un hooked battery for 30 min, rehooked up - attached charger and tried to communicate with no luck. Shoot I was really hoping to not have to tow to dealership.
      03-02-2021, 08:37 AM   #4
Petro135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i E88

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Sorry to hear this. I have no idea how to help you. I know i would be clueless and not know what to do at the point you are at. Please keep us informed what the problem is. Be good to know. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 09:30 AM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Same here, no ideas other than what you tried. It sounds like something is up with the DME. It's odd that it began the process then stopped. Hopefully the dealer can re-do it and it's just an MHD thing of some sort.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:08 AM   #6
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

This may not be your problem, but I had this issue when switching tunes. Except my whipers kept turning on when it failed.

I had my "key" in the wrong position. I felt very stupid about it and realized my mistake after about an hour of thinking I bricked my car. Probably not your issue since I'm dumber than most people, but just throwing it out there.
      03-02-2021, 01:20 PM   #7
cptgonzo
Private
Rep

Still can't confirm the issue at this point. The key is in correct position and I have replaced the OTB cable and hasn't solved the issue. The first cable I had I have used successfully many times to flash MHD, I picked up another cheap Chinese cable from Amazon casue the shipping was much faster, but that also is not working. I have a quality and proven cable coming from BimmerGeeks - hopefully will connect to the DME. I have hooked up ISTA + and all the other bmw software goodies but have not been able to read/contact the DME (but able to read all other modules). MHD has been very responsive with communicating with me, that has been nice.

From what I've read it's extremely difficult to brick a DME via the OBD port, but who knows maybe I'm lucky! real oem has me on a MEVD172 dme so I know if its bricked the options are sending it out to get cloned and install myself or send to a shop to have it done.

I will update when I have a solution - wanted to write this up because its been difficult to find info on E82 and all of this.
      03-03-2021, 10:55 AM   #8
G3min1
Curious Gooner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Do you have an aftermarket headunit? I only ask because since I installed my Xtrons unit, I have not been able to reach my DME either. (Just putting ideas out there)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 05:25 PM   #9
cptgonzo
Private
Rep

No aftermarket HU- got the bimmergeeks cord and it is STILL not connecting. I am at my wits end. The only thing I can think of is the junction box went bad and stopped sending voltage to DME, but thats unlikely casue all I did was flash. Just factory reset device after sending the logs to MHD to see what they say one more time, then gonna try to code the DME with winFPK and if that doesn't work to the stealership I go to get robbed
      03-04-2021, 01:03 PM   #10
cptgonzo
Private
Rep

I contacted BimmerGeeks regarding the issue and they were extremely helpful and assistive, even though the result was unable to contact the DME. Will be towing to get fixed. I would always buy from BimmerGeeks now because of how they went out of their way to assist me.
      03-04-2021, 01:31 PM   #11
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptgonzo View Post
I contacted BimmerGeeks regarding the issue and they were extremely helpful and assistive, even though the result was unable to contact the DME. Will be towing to get fixed. I would always buy from BimmerGeeks now because of how they went out of their way to assist me.
huge bummer but let us know the outcome. Someone will stumble across this one day and find an answer they are looking for.
      03-04-2021, 05:08 PM   #12
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Any chance a bent pin or something in the OBDII part is not allowing the connection to the DME? I think I have at least one bent pin in there, and I was able to correct it.

I feel like, but don't remember for sure, that this previously caused me to fail to connect, but I fixed it pretty quick so don't remember for sure.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2021, 07:37 AM   #13
cptgonzo
Private
Rep

OBD2 was good - I was able to contact all modules except the DME :-(. dealer said to replace DME. So beware when flashing with MHD it could brick your DME. Everyone and everything I read said that they have never seen this while Flashing.

Can't wait to get car back to re install JB4 and re flash lol

Yolo

Last edited by cptgonzo; 03-05-2021 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 02:39 PM   #14
Xtreme68
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i

Going thru this exact issue right now. Using a friend's garage, installed ignition coils, cranked car, perfect. When I BEF'd, I accidentally did not hit the start button to actually have the car ON, which I think may have been the issue, and the flash failed, same description, couldn't connect to DME. Car wouldn't crank, and still won't. Stayed the night with the friend and got a ride home this morning. Mhd suggested completely uninstalling jb4. That's where I am now, but I'm not confident enough to do it. I'll have to tow the car to my mod installer. Once he uninstalls jb4, I will flash the car on site in hopes my flashing will be completely done before I leave, if not, it'll be in a safe spot. Reading your post, it sounds like even that's not going to work. Please let me know what you find out, and I will do the same once I find out. Unlike you, I used the mhd Wi-Fi adapter. First one I had had to be returned. The new one is fine. Android phone does connect, so I am hoping the problem isn't that simple, after towing and expenses for uninstalling jb4 and general labor time. Good luck on yours, and please let me know your outcome.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 05:59 PM   #15
inevitab1e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 135i N55 FBO

Make sure you're flashing on Map 0. Problems will happen if you flash on any other map.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2021, 09:19 AM   #16
Xtreme68
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inevitab1e View Post
Make sure you're flashing on Map 0. Problems will happen if you flash on any other map.
well, I had all that right, just not the main thing, having the car on LOL. I've gotten with mhd, and they said to uninstall jb4 and reflash. if I uninstall the jb4, I would imagine I would need to install and off the shelf map instead of a back-end flash, until that flash seats properly, then I can put mhd back to stock map, then reinstall jb4 and reflash with backend. I hope LOL.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 10:55 AM   #17
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Car ignition on, and device on airplane mode!
I don't think anyone has reminded you to be on airplane mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 08:56 PM   #18
Xtreme68
Rep

yeah, I just missed the number one most important thing that will screw things up if it's not in place. if I don't put in an airplane mode, it's not a major mistake. dealership was able to restore the DME, fortunately. not turning the car on completely is due to my assumption that the car IS ON when I click the key fob in. it's just mental. I bet I won't make that mistake again .
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 02:05 PM   #19
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

So was it both things? Tuner not on airplane and car not with ignition on?

I remember I tried flashing while not in airplane mode on and I also freaked out when it stopped. Luckily I noticed what the issue was, and tried again and it was fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:32 PM   #20
Xtreme68
Rep

airplane was good, just didn't have the car on. excited about getting my car back tomorrow. while the tow truck was taking my car to the dealership, I swept by my house and grabbed all my parts for them to install as well, springs, sway bars, rear shocks, rims and tires. I haven't seen it for a week. also complete front brakes. I think my right front was dragging, rotors were not smooth at all, I could hear the right front dragging with windows down.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #21
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme68 View Post
airplane was good, just didn't have the car on. excited about getting my car back tomorrow. while the tow truck was taking my car to the dealership, I swept by my house and grabbed all my parts for them to install as well, springs, sway bars, rear shocks, rims and tires. I haven't seen it for a week. also complete front brakes. I think my right front was dragging, rotors were not smooth at all, I could hear the right front dragging with windows down.
Ugh, the bad news is the $$$'s, the good news is that it's likely to drive like new.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 10:40 AM   #22
dtla1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Ugh, the bad news is the $$$'s, the good news is that it's likely to drive like new.
The one thing I've noticed about draining money on this car, there seems to be a decent amount of Post, uhhh, Spend clarity. After the car is back in your hands and running like a dream, some amount of that regret of spending money on it goes away haha.
Appreciate 0