BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-12-2015, 07:06 PM   #45
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

I don't see any sense in making this an argument. There are always people on forums that will tell you the cheapest option is shit.. I have the Mfactory diff on the 1er, and so far it's been excellent. No noise, no leaks, no issues, car feels much better.

I don't track the car, and don't plan to since it's my daily driver, so can't comment on that. I drive the car very aggressively on the street and the Mfactory unit is a HUGE improvement over the original open unit.

I have an OEM clutch LSD in my E36 with a 40% lock clutch pack upgrade. Does it perform "better" than the helical unit in the 1er? Not really. It's noisy, clunky, etc, but that car is purely for shenanigans so it doesn't matter to me. The Z3 has an OEM Torsen LSD that performs really well, pretty much just like the Mfactory unit in the 1er.

I think for an aggressively street driven/occasional track time car the Mfactory unit is a great option. What if it cost $4500? Would more people buy it, since that would obviously make it better?
      03-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #46
MFactory
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanganstyle View Post
I guess all that purchase BMW M cars with //M OEM LSD are also "idiots" as BMW does not know anything about making a LSD for some stupid thing called a M car (also overpriced and for idiots).

This thread title is " BEST LSD"; not "cheapest LSD"; not to talk crap about the stuff one cannot afford.****

quoting you:

*** a M-factory hellical diff will be Shit compared to a OEM BMW LSD for Dealership BMW warranty and for LAP TIME***

A BMW will handle BEST with a Clutch type LSD ; Every single //M car has a Clutch type LSD.

My money is where my mouth is; I purchased a BMW Dealership LSD unit and was 100% pleased; 0 shipping anything anywhere, 100% BRAND new BMW Germany part.

Walk up to the local BMW Dealership counter, pay, pick it up in a few days. Don't hate on the BMW dealership; everyone buys things at the dealer.

The Factory BMW part is BRAND NEW; including the HOUSING, GEARS, bearings. BMW Factory > anything if considering a NEW dealership supported BMW.

M-factory LSD is the best CHEAP option for those in the market for a gear type solution. IF the small amount of money saved is the end goal then perhaps driving a Turbocharged BMW is not the best idea for the owner.

E46M3, E60M5, E92m3 use a GKN Visco-LOK

Visco LOK is a GKN patent that uses BOTH Clutch type AND Viscous mechanisms to lock up.

7 clutch plate pairs provide the Lock up to 100%
Viscous unit pump provides engagement from 0->100%

the GKN Visco Lok design is brilliant but wears out with heavy use @ about 100k miles combined street/circuit.

the E30M3 (best handling BMW of all time)
E36M3 (also best handling BMW of all time)
and E28M5, E24 M6, E34 M5

all use a traditional ZF germany built 2 clutch plate 25% lockup LSD unit. This is the "CLASSIC" bmw feeling; anyone who has driven one instantly remembers.

the BMW Dealer performance option is made by Drexler (who makes the DTM LSD units for BMW motorsports) - BMW Factory DTM is probably a pretty good indicator of the quality of the product.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936661

The new part sold by BMW is an updated 2014 version of the classic unit; its even better and the design proven reliable for the last 3 decades by BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Alfa, Opel, Volvo (rwd), others.
And you prove my point exactly, as you fit directly into this category based on your comments (and I would suggest doing more googling to learn more about what you just copy and pasted):

"As for the OEM M LSD, it's extremely overpriced and limited in function. Only the misinformed or those with too much money to spend would buy an OEM LSD, especially when you can find alternatives for significantly less and with a lifetime warranty"

I never said there is anything wrong with oem BMW parts or that they don't function as they intended, but just because it's oem doesn't make it the "best".

I also never mentioned MFactory anywhere in my post, but if you really have to bring it up, it's not about being the "cheapest" (as there are other LSD's on the market that are even cheaper than the MFactory); it's about "Value for Money" and, unless your car is a dedicated track car (of whom would most likely benefit from a Plate type LSD), I'm sorry to tell you this, but the closest that you can get to "Best" = "Value for Money", something that the oem LSD's most definitely aren't.

Going by your train of thought, then I should increase the price of our LSD to $5000+ then, which should now make it the best LSD and not the cheapest as you say

Last edited by MFactory; 03-12-2015 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #47
kramard
Rep
Drives: Mazdaspeed3

Hope not to take us off topic but in reading this thread (and the others) I can't decide what's best for my 1er.

Goal: LSD for DD and some track time (looking to do 3 - 5 sessions a year). I like to slide the car a bit so looking for controlled power delivery in the rear to enjoy higher speed oversteer and enjoying the track.

Mods: PPK / catback. Thinking about a JB4 but not sure I need more power just yet (plus i don't want to expose the car to the extra heat at the track)

I'm leaning towards MFactory. This is my only car so its also my DD. Does the MFactory sounds about right for my application?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #48
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by psamtik View Post
The real question is - are you ready to drop $3k on a car worth about $15k-$22k for a performance part that you're supposed to enjoy more on the track than on the street?
For me, yes. I have a built diffsonline differential waiting to be installed.

Honestly guys, M Factory owns the Honda world, they are not a new player to the game.

Their units are solid, well built, and they stand behind their products. Really can't go wrong for a DD application or light track.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2015, 09:15 PM   #49
MFactory
Major
United_States
Rep

If it's your Daily Driver, you more than likely will enjoy a Helical LSD more than a Plate type LSD
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 07:02 AM   #50
wanganstyle
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E30 24v, E38 V12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFactory View Post
If it's your Daily Driver, you more than likely will enjoy a Helical LSD more than a Plate type LSD
honestly NO - if you want the BMW to handle like a BMW then you need a BMW Clutch type LSD; if you want CHEAP then you need M-factory for CHEAP

if gear type unit was so awesome then why did BMW not use it themselves in the 1/2/3/4 series? obviously its cheaper and they do like saving money.......... Obviously M-factory needs to call BMW Germany and tell them they are stupid.

I don't dislike any gear type diff maker more than any other; I just hate them all.

in Non-bmw terms I Hated the Torsen that came in my R1 FD3S; really liked both S4 factory and Cusco clutch type units.

Last edited by wanganstyle; 03-14-2015 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 07:42 AM   #51
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

IMO quaife or os giken are the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 08:00 AM   #52
bignico_05
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: aw 135i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanganstyle
Quote:
honestly NO - if you want the BMW to handle like a BMW then you need a BMW Clutch type LSD; if you want CHEAP then you need M-factory for CHEAP

if gear type unit was so awesome then why did BMW not use it themselves in the 1/2/3/4 series? obviously its cheaper and they do like saving money.......... Obviously M-factory needs to call BMW Germany and tell them they are stupid.

I don't dislike any gear type diff maker more than any other; I just hate them all.

in Non-bmw terms I Hated the Torsen that came in my R1 FD3S; really liked both S4 factory and Cusco clutch type units.
Quit being such a hater!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #53
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignico_05 View Post
Quit being such a hater!
Trolls will be trolls.. They are unstoppable! Don't feed the troll!
      03-14-2015, 09:00 AM   #54
MFactory
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Nothing wrong with personal opinion, but that's all it is; personal opinion. As a community, we value all contributions, but don't take it too far or your posts are going to be deleted again like the last time you expressed your personal opinions about us. Just a friendly warning, because this is the second time now and I'm sure you don't want more than just your posts deleted.

Anyways, in reply to your misinformed statements, then obviously, if you want it to feel like an oem BMW, then buy an oem LSD. However, if you want it to handle better than an oem BMW, then you need to upgrade to an aftermarket LSD that isn't function limited like all the oem M LSD's are (you seriously need to read up on the specs and learn how to interpret what they mean because your posts so far are borderline ignorant, for lack of a better word that doesn't insult you. Or maybe you do know, and are just hating for the sake of hating, especially as you build/sell oem LSD's)

MFactory LSD's arent cheap (stop with the caps, as that means you are deliberately trying to insult us); they are "Value for Money". If you want cheap, then continue building/selling your oem/oem-style LSD's. I would take a Helical LSD with 75% torque bias, or a Plate type LSD with adjustable pre-load, adjustable ramp angles and adjustable 20-100% lock capacity over an oem non-adjustable anything with 25-35% lock capacity (varies between models) any day of the week.

Just so you know, BMW did actually want to use Quaife, but due to failed negotiations, they decided to go with GKN as they were cheaper. That's the difference between Milled and Cast. Now which one is CHEAP?

One last thing. You do realise that we offer Plate type LSD's as well, not just Helical? In Europe, our Plate type LSD's outsell our Helical, and I can guarantee you this; they blow the socks off the oem M LSD's in performance, functionality AND adjustability (because the oem LSD's have none), not to mention being lower cost i.e better Value for Money

Could we sell it at $3k+, just so it's the most expensive, and thus the "best" in your way of thinking? Of course we can, but we won't as we don't want to be the most expensive; we want to be the best "Value for Money", be it our Helical or Plate LSD's

P.S If you want the best LSD, let me know and I'll sell you one for only $3500. Absolute bargain if you ask me

Last edited by MFactory; 03-14-2015 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 09:19 PM   #55
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:

Just FYI OEM M-Variable Diffs are junk in the scheme of LSDs. They fail and will go to an open differential sooner or later if you track hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkswackin View Post
IMO quaife or os giken are the way to go.
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I'd rethink that one. There is a reason why OSG pulled these units off the shelf.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with personal opinion, but that's all it is; personal opinion. As a community, we value all contributions, but don't take it too far or your posts are going to be deleted again like the last time you expressed your personal opinions about us. Just a friendly warning, because this is the second time now and I'm sure you don't want more than just your posts deleted.

Anyways, in reply to your misinformed statements, then obviously, if you want it to feel like an oem BMW, then buy an oem LSD. However, if you want it to handle better than an oem BMW, then you need to upgrade to an aftermarket LSD that isn't function limited like all the oem M LSD's are (you seriously need to read up on the specs and learn how to interpret what they mean because your posts so far are borderline ignorant, for lack of a better word that doesn't insult you. Or maybe you do know, and are just hating for the sake of hating, especially as you build/sell oem LSD's)

MFactory LSD's arent cheap (stop with the caps, as that means you are deliberately trying to insult us); they are "Value for Money". If you want cheap, then continue building/selling your oem/oem-style LSD's. I would take a Helical LSD with 75% torque bias, or a Plate type LSD with adjustable pre-load, adjustable ramp angles and adjustable 20-100% lock capacity over an oem non-adjustable anything with 25-35% lock capacity (varies between models) any day of the week.

Just so you know, BMW did actually want to use Quaife, but due to failed negotiations, they decided to go with GKN as they were cheaper. That's the difference between Milled and Cast. Now which one is CHEAP?

One last thing. You do realise that we offer Plate type LSD's as well, not just Helical? In Europe, our Plate type LSD's outsell our Helical, and I can guarantee you this; they blow the socks off the oem M LSD's in performance, functionality AND adjustability (because the oem LSD's have none), not to mention being lower cost i.e better Value for Money

Could we sell it at $3k+, just so it's the most expensive, and thus the "best" in your way of thinking? Of course we can, but we won't as we don't want to be the most expensive; we want to be the best "Value for Money", be it our Helical or Plate LSD's

P.S If you want the best LSD, let me know and I'll sell you one for only $3500. Absolute bargain if you ask me
I'm not really a fan of Helical diffs (mainly because they don't fit my situation), but M Factory makes valid points. Please listen before further derailing this thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 09:27 PM   #56
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
wanganstyle, please stop being the troll.

"In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

MFactory, this is a good thread, this is where I discovered your Helical LSD and it sounds like fun....... where can I buy one? PS: Stop feeding that wangyman troll dude.
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler

Last edited by Chunner; 03-14-2015 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #57
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135droptop View Post
Good choice!! Did mine with the MFactory LSD (not the full pumpkin) a few weeks ago, love it!
If you have the time sir, please give a full review. Eager fellow 1ers would like to know!
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 09:35 PM   #58
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135TX View Post
I get my car back from the shop tomorrow from getting my Mfactory lsd installed. They send you a diff fully built with the lsd loaded and installed you just swap the pumpkin. 3.5 shop hrs.
Ditto.... a review please! Many thanks!

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 10:28 PM   #59
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I will be posting a review soon as well now that the weather is warming up. Wasn't fair to make what I considered an inaccurate evaluation since it is, 1) Winter 2) I had bald PSS while the car sat most of the winter 3) I changed the diff fluid after break in.

Just for those interested. I'm making currently about 500whp. We will see if this helps with my car losing control from 2nd and 3rd gear pulls.

I too for one enjoy power sliding! With the open differential it was VERY difficult to control it especially with the amount of torque I have.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 02:03 AM   #60
MFactory
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post
wanganstyle, please stop being the troll.

"In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

MFactory, this is a good thread, this is where I discovered your Helical LSD and it sounds like fun....... where can I buy one? PS: Stop feeding that wangyman troll dude.
Noted, and sorry for getting OT
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #61
katsooba
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Quote:
give us the DCT 2.56 plate type lsds already!
cant wait for them
      03-15-2015, 10:14 AM   #62
MFactory
Major
United_States
Rep

New batch of 2.56 Final Drives will be ready May/June, and our new 215 Diff Plate type LSD's should be around that time as well
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 05:49 PM   #63
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Sorry for this but this thread seems a good place,

And I'd like to thank MFactory for being the only MFG posting in the thread. That alone says a lot about customer service IMO.

My question though,
I've noticed the auto's and manuals take different units, bolted vs welded respectively. Welded costs more to install due to difficulty.
Is that something physically different about the diff's?
Final drive the same? (old standard used to be an auto had a higher ratio due to loss in the trans)

And for MFactory,
Do you also offer FD upgrades?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 09:15 PM   #64
MFactory
Major
United_States
Rep

All manuals use the large diff. Pre-07 autos (only available in 335i's afaik) also use the large diff. Post-07 autos all use the small diff (inc. all 135i's). DCT and 335d all use the large diff.

Manual final drives are all 3.08. Auto final drives are all 3.46. DCT is 2.56, and 335d is 2.81

Yes, we have brand new 2.56, 2.81 and 3.08 final drives, so is a true bolted setup (no need for machining etc now on the welded diffs), and can be used with any LSD, not just the MFactory
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 09:30 PM   #65
Griffster
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
All manuals use the large diff. Pre-07 autos (only available in 335i's afaik) also use the large diff. Post-07 autos all use the small diff (inc. all 135i's). DCT and 335d all use the large diff.

Manual final drives are all 3.08. Auto final drives are all 3.46. DCT is 2.56, and 335d is 2.81

Yes, we have brand new 2.56, 2.81 and 3.08 final drives, so is a true bolted setup (no need for machining etc now on the welded diffs), and can be used with any LSD, not just the MFactory
Really? New ring setups? So I can save $1800 on machining costs to cut off the old ring? That's been the biggest headache to date, the machining costs involved.

Edit: Ok i've been told your gear sets only fit US cars, not EU or Australian :-( :-( :-(

Last edited by Griffster; 05-11-2015 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #66
MFactory
Major
United_States
Rep

If you have a 135i, your pinion gear is different.

You could always swap over to the 335i driveshaft flange, which would solve the issue.
Appreciate 0