BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-11-2021, 12:21 AM   #1
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Ode to a 1 Series

I found a copy of the Year of the 1 book. I feared it would be nothing more than a reworked sales brochure, but there's actually a lot of interesting nostalgia in here.

I too began to feel nostalgic for the BMW of my early years, the one that spawned the M5 and E30 M3. One thing is clear from this book, BMW thought the 1 series was sure to be a hit. It would rekindle our love of BMW and restore their bona fides. Unfortunately several things were working against them.

The Great Recession decimated car sales, with small sports cars taking the brunt of the attack. I suppose BMW also did not see the looming end of the sports car as we know it. Tastes had moved on, leaving the plucky little 1 series orphaned in a world that no longer yearned to feel the road and row through the gears.

Perhaps most telling of all, BWM failed to see that, like their cars, they had transformed into a bloated marque concerned more with image than driving dynamics. The Bavarian upstart that won our hearts with cars like the 2002 and M1 was now merely a trophy to display wealth and social status much like its rivals from Stuttgart and Ingolstadt.

What BMW could not foresee is how this last gasp at relevance to a dying breed would one day resurrect itself to become a future classic. Harris, Clarkson, and many others consider the 1M one of the all-time greatest sports cars. Values of enthusiast-spec'd 1 series are taking off as demand far exceeds supply. Alas, little BMW, you finally have your day in the sun...
Attached Images

Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 3
jwolf63.00
Petro135452.50
      02-11-2021, 10:12 AM   #2
jdt10768
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i MSport 6MT

I thought about buying a used copy, maybe at the right price
These only printed for the first year of production, right? They list a VIN as I recall
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 10:36 AM   #3
Thunderguts
Major
Rep

Correct, they have a VIN in the book matching the car's. I believe they were only supplied to people who bought a 1st year production model, regardless of when it was sold.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 10:37 AM   #4
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdt10768 View Post
I thought about buying a used copy, maybe at the right price
These only printed for the first year of production, right? They list a VIN as I recall
Yes and Yes
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 11:58 AM   #5
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

And how many of us who are 3rd, 4th, 5th owners would like to track down the copy that goes with our car? I know I would, but have no idea where to start.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 12:24 PM   #6
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Perhaps most telling of all, BWM failed to see that, like their cars, they had transformed into a bloated marque concerned more with image than driving dynamics.

This is the biggest reason I don't like having my car.
I did not buy a status symbol. I bought it because it has an attitude I find fun. It's a joy to drive and I miss every day I haven't been able to drive it.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2021, 12:25 PM   #7
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I still have my book even though I don't have the car anymore. Am I wrong for keeping it? I don't think so. I paid full price for the car, at least I can keep the book, and anything else I got for being the original owner. Some people might not want it but still did not pass it on to the next owner. I actually want it. I love my 1 series memorabilia, it means a lot to me.
Appreciate 1
iminhell13914.50
      02-11-2021, 12:45 PM   #8
Thunderguts
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I still have my book even though I don't have the car anymore. Am I wrong for keeping it? I don't think so. I paid full price for the car, at least I can keep the book, and anything else I got for being the original owner. Some people might not want it but still did not pass it on to the next owner. I actually want it. I love my 1 series memorabilia, it means a lot to me.
I sold my original 1976 280Z owner's manual last year. It was my first car and I loved it dearly, but I sold the car nearly 30 year ago. I finally decided that someone else would enjoy the manual and the car no longer had as much meaning to me. Also, it was surprisingly valuable.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 12:55 PM   #9
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I sold my original 1976 280Z owner's manual last year. It was my first car and I loved it dearly, but I sold the car nearly 30 year ago. I finally decided that someone else would enjoy the manual and the car no longer had as much meaning to me. Also, it was surprisingly valuable.
Glad you got a profit off of it. I'm not interested in making any money from selling it. It is a happy little nostalgic reminder of my 1 series and the fact that I was an original owner of its first year of production.

Edit: corrected my sentence where I had written "not" twice by accident. It completely changes the meaning of the sentence. lol

Last edited by Esteban; 02-11-2021 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 01:47 PM   #10
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Funny enough, I was just talking to a coworker the other day about having my car in the shop (Oil Filter housing Gasket, that turned into a thermostat housing gasket and coolant hose (plastic piece at the block disintegrated), and sensor replacement job), and she asked if it was under warranty. I chuckled a little bit and said, no, these are just things that you expect with a 10+ year old BMW, the gaskets are crap. She couldn't believe my little car was so old, she though it was still under warranty.

Later that day I picked up the car from the shop and the owner asked me how long I had owned the car for, and then told me I had done a decent job keeping it pretty clean.

It's a fun car, I like it not because it's a BMW, but because it's a fun little car to drive.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2021, 01:57 PM   #11
Motorradist
Rep
Drives: 128i

>The Bavarian upstart that won our hearts with cars like the 2002 and M1 was now merely a trophy to display wealth and social status much like its rivals from Stuttgart and Ingolstadt.

First of all, it took like 30 years for BMW to come up with the 2002 and enjoy getting t-boned in one. You are the crumple zone. Thats why it's so light.

The M2 is 2" longer wheelbase and 100hp more than the 1M and only 400lbs heavier, which is probably due to the stricter crash safety requirements and emissions. So it's safer and cleaner. Not a terrible compromise.

Anyway, If you want a small fast $40k BMW, get a Mini S or JCW.

My F54 Clubman wagon is slightly shorter than my 128, has more rear leg room, SIX doors and is AWD. The 2021 JCW is available with a 6-spd and 300hp.

Just enjoy your car. lol. Life is change, it's about how you accept and work with change. Don't get stuck in the past.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43787.00
      02-11-2021, 02:19 PM   #12
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorradist View Post
>The Bavarian upstart that won our hearts with cars like the 2002 and M1 was now merely a trophy to display wealth and social status much like its rivals from Stuttgart and Ingolstadt.

First of all, it took like 30 years for BMW to come up with the 2002 and enjoy getting t-boned in one. You are the crumple zone. Thats why it's so light.

The M2 is 2" longer wheelbase and 100hp more than the 1M and only 400lbs heavier, which is probably due to the stricter crash safety requirements and emissions. So it's safer and cleaner. Not a terrible compromise.

My F54 Clubman wagon is slightly shorter than my 128, has more rear leg room, SIX doors and is AWD. The 2021 JCW is available with a 6-spd and 300hp.

Just enjoy your car. lol. Life is change, it's about how you accept and work with change. Don't get stuck in the past.
Agree. Got bored with my 1er, that's why I changed cars (can only have one car). Still enjoy the memories, though.
Appreciate 1
dtla1827.50
      02-11-2021, 03:29 PM   #13
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

BTW, there's a member here who mentioned he has a couple of the "Year One Of The 1" books that he'd like to go to the current owners and talked about posting the VINs here to see if they are forum members. They'd probably be happy to have them.

PS - hopefully he'll read this and be encouraged to post up.
      02-15-2021, 01:30 AM   #14
Thunderguts
Major
Rep

Quote:
Sure, but I wouldn't say BMW was making drivers' cars until the 1970's with the 2002 and 3.0. Audi and Mercedes occasionally made a good car, but BMW owned that segment (Porsche notwithstanding) for a good 30 years. They started losing that market sometime in the late 2000's. A light car is still a fun car, safety be damned. You can't get much more unsafe than a crotch rocket, but there's definitely a market for fast, unsafe, fun. Even a "light" modern BMW still has 200-300 pounds of added luxury or otherwise superfluous stuff tacked onto it.

Quote:
GAH! That's exactly what BMW wants. When they make a RWD Mini, I'll definitely put one at the top of my list. No more FWD for me.

Appreciate 1