BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-02-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
bmwisme
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i conv. Sport Pkg.

08' 135i E88 - FMIC for COBB Stage 1+

Hey BMW enthusiasts, I've read most of what I can find on FMIC's but would still like any comments/suggestions for my particular need.

I'm running a COBB Stage 1 Aggressive map now (nice improvement!) other than it doesn't pull very good in the upper RPM ranges. I would like to bump up to Stage 1+ which requires an upgraded FMIC - I don't think I'm going any further than Stage 1+. I'm considering the Wagner EVO 1 which is now on sale for $490 (org. $690) or take a chance on an inexpensive ARM ($300) or G-Speed ($225 eBay or Amazon). I just want to take full advantage of the COBB Stage 1+ map without heat soak robbing power but don't want to spend more than necessary. I'm not necessarily trying to get away cheap but I also don't need to spend more than the needed. I've heard some say good things on the Wagner EVO 1 and other say it's not much better than stock (AIT's) hence why I'm considering something even cheaper.

I'm not a track guy, just like would like to get some added performance out of my 135i. A direct fit (org. connectors) is important for install and maintenance removal.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
bmwisme
United_States
Rep

Hmm, I assumed a BMW 1 series specific forum would be a good source of help. Back when I was a Corvette (2) owner the community was great. It is what it is... Thanks anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 10:38 AM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwisme View Post
Hey BMW enthusiasts, I've read most of what I can find on FMIC's but would still like any comments/suggestions for my particular need.

I'm running a COBB Stage 1 Aggressive map now (nice improvement!) other than it doesn't pull very good in the upper RPM ranges. I would like to bump up to Stage 1+ which requires an upgraded FMIC - I don't think I'm going any further than Stage 1+. I'm considering the Wagner EVO 1 which is now on sale for $490 (org. $690) or take a chance on an inexpensive ARM ($300) or G-Speed ($225 eBay or Amazon). I just want to take full advantage of the COBB Stage 1+ map without heat soak robbing power but don't want to spend more than necessary. I'm not necessarily trying to get away cheap but I also don't need to spend more than the needed. I've heard some say good things on the Wagner EVO 1 and other say it's not much better than stock (AIT's) hence why I'm considering something even cheaper.

I'm not a track guy, just like would like to get some added performance out of my 135i. A direct fit (org. connectors) is important for install and maintenance removal.

Thanks!
VRSF's new 5" street FMIC has a new denser core and is a little less then the Evo Wagner 1 Clearance price, I'd go with that presonally if you're on a budget.

If you are OK with trimming their 7" performs even better.

Their Evo 1 is the entry level FMIC so its decent but by no accident the Evo II comp is better.

If you insist on utilizing stock connectors, then go with the Evo I.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #4
bmwisme
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
VRSF's new 5" street FMIC has a new denser core and is a little less then the Evo Wagner 1 Clearance price, I'd go with that presonally if you're on a budget.

If you are OK with trimming their 7" performs even better.

Their Evo 1 is the entry level FMIC so its decent but by no accident the Evo II comp is better.

If you insist on utilizing stock connectors, then go with the Evo I.
Thanks for the comment/suggestion. I had heard that the VRSF, even the 5" stepped, the connectors/clamps/etc. can be a headache (Auto trans. here) - the room to maneuver (on your back underneath) is very limited. I also worry about maintenance as I do have my car serviced - I heard the IC has to come off for radiator flushes. That's why I'm considering an IC that utilizes the OEM connectors. BUT, it the Wagner EVO 1 Performance is not much of an upgrade AIT wise then it doesn't make sense either. Just trying to select an IC that will benefit my 135i considering my intended application. As I mentioned, I'm not planning on other mods than the COBB map and IC. "Maybe" catted DP's ( (WI emissions) at some point.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 04:11 AM   #5
Aceway
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i / F25 28i

ARM intercooler would probably work fine since you don't have huge power goals. Have one in my 135i stock turbos/FBO and does its job well. Nice subtle boost over stock ic. There's a decent amount of room to maneuver around the connections so that aspect shouldn't really be something to worry about.

Last edited by Aceway; 06-09-2018 at 04:31 AM..
Appreciate 0