BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
pyoung62
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Opinion on replacement emblems

So I'm thinking of replacing the chrome "135i" emblem with gloss black on my AW and there seem to be several sources. Bimmian has them as does jlevisw, and I'm sure there are several others out there as well. Cost seems to be a wash. Does anyone have any experience with any of the suppliers as to the quality of the emblems? I don't want one that's going to start having the color rub off after a dozen washings or that uses a poor quality adhesive.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoung62 View Post
So I'm thinking of replacing the chrome "135i" emblem with gloss black on my AW and there seem to be several sources. Bimmian has them as does jlevisw, and I'm sure there are several others out there as well. Cost seems to be a wash. Does anyone have any experience with any of the suppliers as to the quality of the emblems? I don't want one that's going to start having the color rub off after a dozen washings or that uses a poor quality adhesive.

Thanks.
I am planning on ordering some gloss black ones to match my shadowline trim. I was going to order from Jlevi because they are local and participate in these forums. I suspect the emblems are all pretty similar. I havent seen any threads about any problems anyone has had with paint/build etc. from them.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoung62 View Post

Thanks.
I am planning on ordering some gloss black ones to match my shadowline trim. I was going to order from Jlevi because they are local and participate in these forums. I suspect the emblems are all pretty similar. I havent seen any threads about any problems anyone has had with paint/build etc. from them.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I got mine from Jlevi, got what I ordered and I think they came pretty quickly. I don't remember having any issues at all.

The ones I got seem to be solid black plastic, all the way through, not coated. I haven't had them long but I don't expect any issues...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
pyoung62
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Their site says "Available in a high gloss or matte black finish", which makes it sound like they may be painted.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Could be a surface treatment afterwards - ie shot blasting or sanding. Doubt it's one of those but you get the idea. Could be possible. Or a blend of the actual plastic - could one have something in it to make it appear matte? I don't know much about molding outside of a small amount of experience with fixture design.

Maybe just buy one # and screw w/ it and find out. Shouldn't cost much. He (Jlevi) may already know. Have you tried contacting him?
Appreciate 0