BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #23
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

The only rattle I have is from my back-passenger inside paneling when I play bassy music. I have NO idea how to get it off and fix it.

And the dealer won't do shit about it....
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #24
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

The passenger seatbelt hitting up against the side pillar is what annoys me.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #25
BFD99
The Stig!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1M View Post
Has it always done that? I don't think mine does that, is your seatbelt fairly tight or I guess it flops around a bit?
      02-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #26
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl
The only rattle I have is from my back-passenger inside paneling when I play bassy music. I have NO idea how to get it off and fix it.

Mine does that too! Pisses me off on those long highway drives where it's just the stereo, myself, and a long straight road.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #27
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD99 View Post
Has it always done that? I don't think mine does that, is your seatbelt fairly tight or I guess it flops around a bit?
It's taut for sure. Had the same issue with my past 135i.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #28
sasquatch
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedman View Post
Mine does that too! Pisses me off on those long highway drives where it's just the stereo, myself, and a long straight road.
Mine also, and the noise really bothers be. I paid for the HK sound system and I feel I can't even enjoy it. The dealer said its "normal" and refused to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #29
superchargedman
Captain
Rep

Mine only has the bmw premium. I couldn't justify the package that you had to get. Is the noise on the right rear aspect? I found if I hold down that arm rest inferior to the window, the sound improves. Turns out you can't do that while driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #30
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post

I think I might have this rattle too but haven't tracked it down very much. Is yours coming from the door panel (under the quarter window), or is it coming from the rear speaker deck (behind the headrests)?
      02-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #31
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1M View Post
My 1m rattles when the HK system shakes the rear lol
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
I think I might have this rattle too but haven't tracked it down very much. Is yours coming from the door panel (under the quarter window), or is it coming from the rear speaker deck (behind the headrests)?
I have the same thing.

It's only when there's lots of bass in songs. flzrider mine is coming from underneath the quarter panel window. When I pushed that panel in while playing a heavy bass song it stopped it. Off to the dealer again because they "couldn't hear it" the first time.

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #32
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1M
My 1m rattles when the HK system shakes the rear lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
I have the same thing.

It's only when there's lots of bass in songs. flzrider mine is coming from underneath the quarter panel window. When I pushed that panel in while playing a heavy bass song it stopped it. Off to the dealer again because they "couldn't hear it" the first time.
Mine rattles around driver door the most when bass is on. I have HK, and it pisses me off. No point in having an upgraded sound and not to enjoy listening to it. I have to turn it off completely or crank way up.

It's very annoying. I was thinking will take care of it in the spring by taking the door panels off and affixing whatever is lose there, but seeing that there is a whole bunch of people have this issue maybe BMW will listen to this and issue a recall of some sort.

BMW, are you listening?!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 09:28 PM   #33
silvs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedman View Post
Mine does as well. Seems like its worse when the plastic side part of the seat is nearby. If I move it away much of the sound goes away.

In short I think its actually tapping on the seat, not the side of the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #34
superchargedman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
I have the same thing.

Let us know how it goes, please!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 04:38 AM   #35
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
My instrument cluster squeaks along the bottom edge as it rubs against the cowling. Gonna take it in when I have time and have BMW put some felt in underneath it.

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #36
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Have the same issues from the dash. The empty plastic but under the CD player control has a rattle and something coming from the Nav area. Really annoying I must say.
      02-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #37
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
I just have a little scritchy-scritch from the rear, which I think is a loose wire somewhere. No supension/chassis issues at all.
      02-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #38
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

I think my rattles might be coming from the grey styrofoam tray under the trunk liner that holds the tools and mobility kit.
      02-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #39
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthColin View Post
Does anyone else's 1M/135/128 rattle in the winter?
Every bump I hit, a rattle seems to come from the rear suspension. I've checked for loose items, including under the trunk floor, but nothing obvious. I'm going to take a test drive with all the trunk items removed and see if there is a difference. If no difference, and no similar complaints, I'll have to make a trip to the dealer. I suspect some bushings or something are frozen. Going to have to go anyway, as I think they effed up the break-in fluids.
Check and see if some of the plastic stuff underneath has been pulled loose. I had that happen when I first got the car and when the broken plastic was replaced it went away. It was just awful!

Holly
1/740
1st us 1m
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #40
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I may have solved this mystery.
I used another bolt to hold the rear license plate down (top two bolts only were being used). Now three of four bolts are being used. I accidentally busted the plastic dealer surround in the process. Rattle all but gone. Can still hear something, but that might be the grey styrofoam box next to the battery. I removed the cardboard wedges I installed, but will reinstall and reevaluate.
      07-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #41
fun2k
Rep
Drives: Bmw 1M

Mine has similar rattles coming from the dash when going over pot holes and and a very anoying squeaky sound coming from the driver side door or b pilar(the stereo bass makes this more worse). also noticed some noise coming from the instrument cluster area today.

None of these sounds bother me as they arnt very loud(the dash rattle is the loudest but only if i hit a pot hole or those gazillion yellow slow down warning bumps).The only sound that really bothers me sometimes is the drone at 2500rpm with the windows up.

My 2009 135i didnt have rattles.only some drone with the bmw performance exhaust at specific rpm.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 03:35 AM   #42
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1M View Post
I too hear these rattles.
Tuned1M maybe this is the same noise. I first thought it was the rear passenger seatbelt vibrating and making this noise.

After driving with a friend with a VERY keen ear, I found the source and a fix.
Warning... ghetto fix.
The vibrations are coming from somewhere under the sidepanels located near the rear seats. My friend simply took two napkins folded in half and stuffed them where the rear seat meets the wall. Ta Dah! vibrations gone.
Try and find the sweet spot, i found in mine its approx 5 inches from the front of rearseats where they touch the panel.

Now the car is vibration free. Even tested with bass turned to 100%

L1MTD

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 04:07 AM   #43
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooBs View Post
Try and find the sweet spot, I found in mine it's approx 5 inches from the front of rear seats where they touch the panel.
Now the car is vibration free. Even tested with bass turned to 100%

Picture ?
      02-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #44
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

This rattle still haunts me. It is not the licence plate cover, nor is it my selection of junk in the trunk.
Happens even at crawling speed, in cold temps only. Is sounds like one small bump can cause the rattle to "rebound", ie, make more than one rattle noise for each bump hit.
Still haven't taken to dealer yet, but will soon.
Colin