05-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #45
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
I agree with much of what you say. However, I remain concerned that if too few units are produced for North American consumption, then the car will be virtually unavailable to a lot of people who would like to purchase it. If the demand overwhelms the supply then we will see large dealer mark ups and very limited allocations.

In my opinion, this scenario runs contrary to the idea of bringing new customers into the ///M fold and would be very unfortunate, for both BMW and for us loyal BMW customers.

1000 units seems pretty low over a 1-2 year production cycle; however, I don't pretend to understand the marketing and business side of producing cars. I just hope BMW doesn't get too carried away keeping the M1 a super limited production offering.
Don't be surprised if the run is shorter than that- less than 1 year, and I am not sure that there will be demand greater than supply. Not that many are in the market for a hopped up 1 Series as it will not have the luxury cache as its higher model stable mates (sad but true), this car is for the enthusiast more than the poser.

It is also worth noting that the new 1er hatch is debuting shortly and that the new coupe may not be as far out as you may think- note how the 6 Series is ending production early to bring in a new more efficient model, the 1 may not be all that different.... food for thought
      05-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #46
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Well I certainly hope you are correct about the demand/supply ratio. Particularly since every dealer I have contacted thus far is either unaware that an ///M variant of the 1-series is in development, or believes that it will not be imported to North America.
Appreciate 0