BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
12'M3Freak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Music skips while using hard drive

Does anyone else have music on there 09 1 ser HD. I put a bunch of music on there, which is cool. But, every couple of songs it skips like a record or something. CD's, iPOD, and everything else works just fine. Wondering if it is the HD or like my 09 X5(see X5 thread) with the oil problem, the 1 needs a software update to. Maybe a software update will also fix my oil level fluxing or from going lower. The bad or good thing is there is no oil or smell of burning oil. Just don't wont my 1 ending up like the X5's with oil level problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #2
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

This may be unlikely, but pay attention and see if the music skips a few seconds after you run over a bump.

Hard drives have a moving disk (like a CD) inside, which spins. Just like old CD portable players, the hard drive's disk will "skip" if it moves. When this disk skips, your music will too. However, the music skipping won't happen instantly after going on a bump, because the music is most likely buffered, meaning the portion of the song you will hear in say, 5 seconds, is already "taken off" the hard drive and ready to be played. If the buffer is (for example) 5 seconds, your music will skip 5 seconds after you run over a bump or pothole, etc.

I remember when I took the bus and watched movies with my laptop, the movie always skipped a second or two after going over a bump, but this issue may be unrelated in the case of your car.

Note for technical people: I know the stuff I said is not 100% technically correct, but I tried to make it understandable for the OP in case he is not tech savvy.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Im not sure it's even 1% correct, but Ill leave that to someone else to dissect.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2009, 11:47 PM   #4
Future 135i Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 135i

Did you copy the music over from CD or from a flash drive/ipod?

if you copied it from a CD, were you driving at the time it was copying?
if so, it could be caused by the CD actually skipping while you were copying the files. It might not skip while it's playing from the CD, but could definitely be more sensitive when copying.

If you copied the music from a flash drive, there could have been a connection issue that cause just enough corruption in the file to cause the skipping, but not ruin the transfer.

I don't have my 1 yet, so I'm not 100% on how the iDrive works and am just taking a stab at it as I have a technical background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdardashti View Post
Note for technical people: I know the stuff I said is not 100% technically correct, but I tried to make it understandable for the OP in case he is not tech savvy.
You're actually more technically correct than probably correct lol. What you suggested is very possible, but that would have to be one hell of a bump, or one screwed up hard drive (Also a real possibility).

Also, I'm not sure if BMW is using a solid state drive, which would be most ideal for the iDrive, but if they are, that would debunk the "skipping hard drive" idea.

I'll try to do some reading on the iDrive to see exactly what hardware it uses and whatnot.

in the mean time, have you tried recopying the music? If you have a lot of songs, just try copying just a few that are skipping now.
      05-12-2009, 11:50 PM   #5
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Moving to Audio.....
      05-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10000111 View Post
You're actually more technically correct than probably correct lol. What you suggested is very possible, but that would have to be one hell of a bump, or one screwed up hard drive (Also a real possibility).

Also, I'm not sure if BMW is using a solid state drive, which would be most ideal for the iDrive, but if they are, that would debunk the "skipping hard drive" idea.

I'll try to do some reading on the iDrive to see exactly what hardware it uses and whatnot.

in the mean time, have you tried recopying the music? If you have a lot of songs, just try copying just a few that are skipping now.
I was just using experience from the bus (as I mentioned). I remember every time the bus went over a pothole, the video would skip. I understand the car would need a much bigger pothole to have the same effect inside the cabin, but I was just mentioning this as a possibility

And yes, my idea would be 100% wrong if the car is using a SSD.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 12:59 AM   #7
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
I have witnessed it too now, only had the car for 2 weeks. It only seems to happen with music downloaded from a USB, didn't happen for songs I copied straight from CD.

I started the track that skipped again to see if it would skip in the same position (to see if it was a problem with the track transfer) but it didn't. So it must be something to do with the iDrive system itself. It even skipped at a stop so it isn't the bump issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
12'M3Freak
Private First Class
Rep

BBK has the same problem. it never skips in the same place. has nothing to do with bumps, either. the music was taken from my computer and put on a usb. then installed, twice and it happened both times. thinking it is a idrive or hd prob.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #9
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Yeah, definately... but odd that it never happens on the songs I copied direct from a CD. It's only on the music downloaded from the USB...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #10
12'M3Freak
Private First Class
Rep

yeah. maybe bmw will get a update or something to fix this problem. it is very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
plasar
plasar
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Vert

Garage List
Unhappy

+1... in the latest instance, it happened 10 secs after starting the car in a parking lot, in neutral, completely motionless. Replayed the same song immediately afterwards - no skip. It's happened several times before.

The MP3s were imported 15 mins earlier on USB in glovebox from my iPod shuffle. Playback has never skipped previously from my iPhone hooked up to the armrest iPod integration.

Definitely some iDrive/HDD issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #12
plasar
plasar
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Vert

Garage List
Question

OK, this HDD skip issue took a turn for the ridiculous.

Yesterday, I wanted to upload some music from USB. So I opened the glovebox, and inserted my iPod shuffle. I turned on the car, and my radio came on - that's how I left it when I turned the car off.

So I navigated to the music collection area, and a Beatles song started playing from the middle, which was the last song I was listening to. So far, so good.

Now for the shocker: about 10 seconds later, instead of experiencing the skip, I experienced a 2 or 3 second "warble" - a slow down in the music/voice that sounded like someone slowing down a tape or record!

Now WTF. I don't think there's a digital music player out there that knows how to "warble" for any reason, whether it's not getting its data from HDD quickly enough, runs its buffer dry, whatever.

Next thing I expect from iDrive is to start playing songs backwards and revealing messages from Satan!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #13
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

If your hard drive was in a computer, I would say to run a diagnostic. I doubt it is skipping but you could have bad areas on the drive. Hard drives have magnetic media disks that they read and write to. If the magnetic media is physically damaged (head touch would be one way), it will not read and write to that area properly anymore. If it gets too many of these type areas, it has to be replaced. I think yours needs checked by the dealer. It sounds like it is going bad. It might be that the bad sectors could be marked and it work fine but it also might need replaced.

Jim