BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-14-2010, 03:15 AM   #1
///M///M Good
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: people nuts

Thought on the Future of Nav Systems

I just ordered a 135i. I had been thinking about ordering the iDrive, but a combination of 2 things made me decide to skip it: 1] Price and 2] Smart Phones. My contract is up in August and I'm probably going to get a Motorola Droid 2 when they come out. Since most of the newer smart phones all have nav programs that come on them and the software upgrades and updates itself, it doesn't seem worth it to get the nav, especially not for the 2100 they charge. My thought is this - In the future the factory nav system will go the way of the dodo, but the screen will remain and car and phone manufacturers will come together on a universal docking system. If today's higher end phones can't do everything the iDrive system can, I can't imagine that the smart phones of 3-5 years from now won't be able to. I know the iDrive controls other functions, but couldn't this be handled via a BMW app?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 06:06 AM   #2
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I would get the idrive even if you never use the actual navigation aspect of it once. The idrive integrates all aspects of the car together. It's my favourite feature on the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I'm with BMW86. Navigation is the feature I probably use the least on the idrive system. The ipod integration is remarkable and easy to navigate and the phone integration is great as well. I would not like this car nearly as much without the idrive system. Also, the live visual traffic feature is extremely handy for my commute. It changes your monthly payments by so little that it's pointless not to get it.

OP, you're still going to be fumbling around with a hand held device. My phone right now (HTC Incredible) has Nav and it's a joke in comparison. They're still only accurate to within a few hundred yards.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 07:15 AM   #4
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I put a Garmin in my bimmer on the BMW mount and later put one in my SUV too. It has bluetooth and MP3 playback which I use more than the navigation. In addition to low accuracy, phone nav has has a tiny screen and is difficult to arrange so that you can use it semi-safely while driving (I do not like to change settings in traffic because I don't think it is very safe). You can get a lot of capability in a portable unit for $200-300. My garmins link to my blackberry very well picking up the phone list automatically. I just get in the car and everything is linked up ready for a call.

A phone GPS is better than nothing but not equivalent at this point.

Integration of the phone with a screen is an interesting concept, however. That could solve the display size. GPS signals are broadcast by satellite, however, so all you need is a receiver to perform that function - outgoing communication is not required. I think phones do GPS triangulating on cell phone towers which is inherently inaccurate. A problem GPS has is communications for traffic and other things. They use FM now (receive only) but a phone might be a better way to do this. Microsoft is doing away with the MSN Direct service which my 885t has and I like. It gives weather, gas prices, etc. in addition to traffic. I will be interested to see what replaces it. Something 2 way using a phone for communcations could be a big step up. Garmin also has a phone now so it should provide more opportunities for communication. Wouldn't it be great to search for a location in Google from your car instead of the clumsier GPS interface? Or maybe even download some music to your car?

In addiiton to price, a problem I see with built-in GPS is that cars last a lot longer than GPS technology stays up-to-date. I think that built-in looks better than what I have and it performs display functions mine does not but I have similar capabilities for 20% or less of the cost and I can change it out several times to newer technology and still be money ahead.

Jim
      07-14-2010, 07:27 AM   #5
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
GPS signals are broadcast by satellite, however, so all you need is a receiver to perform that function - outgoing communication is not required. I think phones do GPS triangulating on cell phone towers which is inherently inaccurate.
Most phones with GPS have built-in GPS receivers, they're not triangulating cell towers. The problem is, they'll most likely need an external antenna to receive the signal or be mounted on the dash/windshield. Easy enough to connect to an antenna, but they'll need some sort of standardization or adaptors so all these different phones can link up to the car.

Tom-Toms iPhone mount includes an external antenna to improve reception.

http://www.iphonesavior.com/2009/08/...t-for-100.html
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
Black Sheep
A Zip an a Double Cup
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I would get the idrive even if you never use the actual navigation aspect of it once. The idrive integrates all aspects of the car together. It's my favourite feature on the car.
I agree

PTF Tuned | RB's | AMS FMIC | AR DP's | HPF Exhaust | CP-E DCI | Apex Arc 8's | 235/275 Star Specs |
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I'd bet that most of the guys who skipped the I-drive are also 6MT guys like myself. I just could not get over that huge hole in the dash for the Navi, plus teh costs and the fact it would be outdated in a year or two. I subscribe to the montra less is more. But to each his own.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #8
pavelitto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Performance

I have 6mt and I drive and I actually postponed the delivery by about a month to get the revised version of pro sat nav with new i drive and I love it and I really mean it! I would be disappointed to get the old version one month before the new one came out. Its great apart from the nav itself which i just got it updated with the latest europe maps and they are as good as any other because there is like 3 or something companies who make maps for many manufacturers...
Also the feature of bmw services with weather reports, google search etc etc. even simple things like oil level and tire pressure is displayed in great way!
I absolutely love the possibility to send the address from google maps on my computer directly to my car's sat nav I use it quite often its easy and simple!
The new I drive and sat nav is day and night as compared to the old one.
(I know what im saying Ive been using idrive on bmws since they came out first time about 7-8 years ago)
      07-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
///M///M Good
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: people nuts

Quote:
But couldn't all of those things be done through a BMW app that you downloaded. The buses would just send that info to the app on your phone instead of the iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #10
radorotrex
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Cabrio / 08 M3 Sedan

Quote:
I totally agree. Don't use nav that often but when I do glad I have it. I also love the iphone integration and being able to see my whole album collection on it. Integration of all other features is cool too. I'm also a tech geek so I may be a little bias.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #11
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I'm with pavelitto. I delayed my car order by a couple months when I seen what this new idrive can do. I was never going to get the old idrive though... epic fail if you ask me

I recommend to the OP that you go into a BMW dealership or meet up with someone who has the new idrive to test it out. See what it does and what you get for your money. You will be pleasantly surprised

Also, I bet you will not come across many people who will tell you they regret getting the idrive. You might come across some people who regret other aspects of the car or regret getting the car altogether for whatever reason, but nobody who actually has the idrive regrets getting it. I think that speaks for iteself.

It's also probably the most noticeable feature to passengers in my car, they all love it, that and the carbon fiber spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #12
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

idrive is more than a navigation system... I always thought it BS to spend $2100 on it since it got bad reviews (1 gen) but after getting it in MY2010 (2 GEN) i can not imagine myself without it..

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #13
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

I have the iDrive but wish I didn't opt for it. I'm one of those that will keep the car as long as it will run... so the iDrive is an electronic gadget that will eventually fail. I like classic cars but not classic electronics. Also a 6MT guy.
      07-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #14
Rayeth
Zergling
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i - DCT + M-Sport

I got my 135 without iDrive and couldn't be happier. You can still scroll through albums and whatnot on your iPod/Phone/MP3 player via the radio (smaller screen though FWIW). I prefer the using the maps on my smartphone (it's voice controlled too), which I like to keep accessible in the cupholder (which would also be removed to make way for the idrive button).

Overall, it probably would provide nicer display for stuff like Tire pressure warnings and other car issues, but I don't miss the sat nav portion (I have better).
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #15
CineNate35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i XDrive

Garage List
I have a 128i and I don't regret not having iDrive. Its neat and all, but I like simple, fast, nice cars. When driving my friends 5 Series with the iDrive, I feel like I'm flying a 747. I like the feeling of driving in a simple car, too much crap takes away if you ask me. Im not eager to have a star trek console on my dash. But thats me, I like simple and elegant, like the old BMW's from back in the day. I don't have time for menus, I'm busy driving lol. I also with I didn't have cup holders, don't have time for latte's lol

I am in the processing of getting the Personal Navigation System installed (the BMW branded Garmin), thats about as far into the technology I need to go. GPS & Handsfree calling (mostly for safety, I hate fumbling the phone)

Keep in mind I manage technology systems for a living lol
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #16
trfortin69
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
If only! Many have commented on the way it integrates all the functions and information. I just skipped Comfort Access in spite of user recommendations.

It is a lot of coin, though. My EVO is fine for navigation and BT operation, but it is nice to have access to other menus and information integrated into a fixed display.
do you have the HTC Evo 4G? does the blue tooth work ok? it's not technically an approved device so I'm wonderng how it works. Also how does music sound via the aux input? And does the blue tooth support stereo playback? Let me know, I'm trying to decide between evo and iphone 4. thanks
      08-12-2010, 06:43 AM   #17
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

Anybody notice how Garmin nuLink works? My 885t has MSN Direct which I like. It has gas prices and weather data and other stuff that is occasionally useful. But the communications are by FM radio signal and thus one way. And it goes away in a little more than an year. nuLink is the replacement and it communciates by wireless. So you can google locations and have the coordinates in your Garmin. You can either do it from a computer and send it to the Garmin or do it from the Garmin and it will then be there. The Garmin apparently has it's own wireless phone so there is an extra charge for the service eventually. With bluetooth already in the Garmin, it would seem smarter to make it work with your phone but that might be tough with the wide varieties of phones in use.

Jim
      08-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #18
mineo77
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i,1989 PRO3,2001 530i

Garage List
2010 135i coupe  [7.56]
i like how the iDrive integrates the system, but for navigation i wouldnt bother. I didnt get it cause i hate clutter in the car and could get over the big display on the center of the dash...but i do regret some of the other functions it suppies (ipod, HD, etc)
      08-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #19
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

I think BMW has done a good job of (in general) making the i-Drive more of a user interface means with more features, and not a "nav" per se.

I know with the newer cars I work on, the Gracenote and the HDD and the Google Maps features are much cooler than my 2007 E90 iDrive. I don't know how much of that has trickled down to E82 yet.

I think I'm gonna get B/u cam (now that we have a kid) and maybe do a retro upgrade to mine to make it as nice as I can get it. The screen is so nice. My wife's Acura has an 8" touch screen, and I drive her car a couple of days and then get into mine and that screen is just so great looking by comparison.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #20
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

I have the TMobile Garminfone. It is an android based phone, but uses a Garmin interface for GPS navigation. The GPS works great. It even does lane assistance.

The future though is voice activated, screen-free navigation. I have a prototype unit for that it is amazing. Need to get the next generation one to try in the 128.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #21
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep

My son was going somewhere yesterday and didn't have his nuvi. So he used his "droid" phone. He liked the way it worked and thought it was about as good as his nuvi. Except his battery was almost drained on a relatively short trip. And the screen is small, but he was with a friend so he could manage - one person driving, one using the phone.

I would not want only voice commands. I like to have the visual also available. I am not always paying attention when the navi tells me something. And if you do not have the backup visual then you would not be in great shape.

I wish the in-car navigation units would just work with your cell phone. My nuvis already link to my phone so I can have hands free phone in both cars. Why couldn't they also use that link to access Google?

The bigger display plus the ability to wire in the cradle so you don't have wires all over are significant advantages to me in favor of the navigation units. Navi on a cell phone is a nice backup but I wouldn't want it for my sole option.

Jim
      08-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #22
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Dude your paying 2100 for the. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M///M Good View Post
I just ordered a 135i. I had been thinking about ordering the iDrive, but a combination of 2 things made me decide to skip it: 1] Price and 2] Smart Phones. My contract is up in August and I'm probably going to get a Motorola Droid 2 when they come out. Since most of the newer smart phones all have nav programs that come on them and the software upgrades and updates itself, it doesn't seem worth it to get the nav, especially not for the 2100 they charge. My thought is this - In the future the factory nav system will go the way of the dodo, but the screen will remain and car and phone manufacturers will come together on a universal docking system. If today's higher end phones can't do everything the iDrive system can, I can't imagine that the smart phones of 3-5 years from now won't be able to. I know the iDrive controls other functions, but couldn't this be handled via a BMW app?
Integration, not the Navigation. For some it is worth $2100. For others, there are other ways to achieve navigation. The cheaper you go, the less integration there is. That is why BMW charges $2100.
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0