09-07-2017, 04:44 PM   #111
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I remember touring Tom Milner's shop in WVA many years ago. Milner was the guy who raced BMW's for BMW AG in the US. His old shop was Group 44. This was when he just started to campaign an e46 M3 V8. Anyway... I did a tour with the DC region BMW club... and I remember him saying how the e46 M3 diffs would not make it thruout the races. They were using the e39 M5 diffs and those would last/work.

I will also remember this really sweet McClearn lemans GTR racer.

Dackel
I did one of those tours...I was struck by the 320 turbo racer with David Hobbs name on it.... and all the vintage cars. Very cool.

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      09-07-2017, 06:31 PM   #112
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
I did one of those tours...I was struck by the 320 turbo racer with David Hobbs name on it.... and all the vintage cars. Very cool.
I wish I had access to the pics I took of that shop. (my photos are in storage at my parents house in MD) I remember sitting in the Le Mans winning McLaren F1 with the FINA oil company colors on it in Milner's shop. That shop was just awesome. In every corner there was something really mind bending.

I also toured the famous White Post Restoration shop near by(I think it was near by)... man White Post shop was really nuts. They had Conrad Hilton's(owner of the Hilton Hotel) MB SSK being restore(this was in '95 I think).... They told us that they first start with an estimate... say its 1/2 a million... they get a substantial deposit(say half!) then they bill in $25K or $50K increments - until the restoration is finished. Sometimes it takes years!! Unreal.

Dackel
Appreciate 1
1M Tex240.00