BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Which tranmission would you get?
Manual 438 71.80%
Auto 142 23.28%
Undecided 30 4.92%
Voters: 610. You may not vote on this poll

06-18-2008, 09:41 PM   #155
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

funny all the manual guys are talking trash... Too bad the fastest 1/4 times have all been Steptronic. Kinda Ironic.

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 10:05 PM   #156
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker View Post
funny all the manual guys are talking trash... Too bad the fasted 1/4 times have all been Steptronic. Kinda Ironic.
This car wasn't designed for 1/4 times though, so the .2-.4 second difference doesn't bother me :wink:

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 10:24 PM   #157
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneill3 View Post
This is my first post, so a quick hello to all. Just found the board yesterday and have found it a great source of information on the 1 series.

The 135i was only released in Australia about a month ago and I was lucky enough to get a test drive of a Manual in the first week.

I just want to say what everyone already knows, this car is awesome! So now I’m hooked on the 135, and I’m stuck with the dilemma of having to sell my current car so I can buy a One!

Initially I wasn't too keen on the looks of the 135 but the more I look at it the more it grows on me. And that engine, simply amazing. I lay awake at night just thinking about it!

The past couple of years I've been driving a Mercedes SLK200. A good friend of mine is a salesman at the Mercedes dealership so I’ve also been lucky enough to drive most of the Mercedes models, and to be honest, I find that the Mercs aren't sporty enough for my driving style, with the exception of the AMGs of course. But not everyone, especially me, can afford an AMG. They are ridiculously expensive for what they are, pimped up luxury cars.

I did have a look at the new C-Class but I didn’t like the way it drove, or the interior styling, too cheap looking, and they just aren’t quick enough for my liking (except for the C63 but once again $160,000 for a car is a lot of money).

I find the gearboxes in the Mercs, they all generally share the same auto, are crap; slow to respond, laggy, and the torque converter is just plan annoying, it spoils the whole driving experience. You would think for the money you pay that you would get a half decent gearbox.

So, just doing some research on the 135, I've pretty much decided on colours and options etc, but I can't decide on the transmission type, manual or auto?

After my experience with the Merc autos it has put me off automatics and after test driving the manual the other day I’d have to say that it had a great feel, very enjoyable to drive.

However, like most city folk, I spend most of my week days sitting in traffic so the auto appeals to me. Also, my wife will be driving the car so the auto would suit her. But, if the auto is crap I'd rather get the manual. The wife can build a bridge and get over it.

I also got to drive a 335 with an auto, after I drove the 135, so I could try the automatic. It was pretty responsive but only driving the car for 15 mins isn't enough to get a real feel for it.

I don't really know enough about BMW automatic gearboxes to know if they are any good. So I was wanting to get some feedback from people that have lived with the BMW auto.

My main question is this, is the auto in the 135 any good?

Also, will the new double clutch in the M3 make its way into the 135?
Like oneill3 above, I'm also in Aust. and also possibly acquiring a 135i in the future and also leaning towards the auto trans...

I've had many car types over the last 25 years, both auto and manual and appreciate them both, they both have their pros and cons...all have already been mentioned, so no need to repeat - for me it'll come down to which suits my intended use/purpose of the car better and for that, I can only go by 'my own' past experience :smile:

Since for me the 135i will be used as DD with alot of heavy/slow traffic on a daily/regular basis, I'm going for the auto, despite the extra expense...may not be as much fun in those minor times when the roadways are clear, but at least I know I'll be able 'to go' as quickly or quicker than if I had a manual version, so it's all ok by me... :thumbup:

It really is a case of each to his own and be happy with what you've decided to have :smile:
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #158
blklacker
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
This car wasn't designed for 1/4 times though, so the .2-.4 second difference doesn't bother me :wink:
1/4 mile is one of the most definitive measurements in pretty much any cars performance index.
Yeah it doesn't bother me either step being .2-.5 sec faster. different strokes for different folks

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 11:03 PM   #159
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker View Post
1/4 mile is one of the most definitive measurements in pretty much any cars performance index.
Yeah it doesn't bother me either step being .2-.5 sec faster. different strokes for different folks
I guess I don't worry much about how fast I can go from a stand-still. Same reason the 0-60 times don't do much for me. It's a way to measure the performance of the car, I agree. But how often do you go floor the car from a standstill while driving in the city? 95% of the time (for daily drivers, not racing) 0-60 and 1/4 times mean nothing except bragging rights.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 11:05 PM   #160
subscience
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I actually learned MT for a day before picking up my MT 135 and I fucking love it. I walk a short walk to work, but I actually enjoy driving in LA gridlock despite what everyone warned me about regarding MTs and traffic. I don't mind it one bit and I like the fact that I can get a bit more fuel efficiency during heavy traffic and prevent a bit of wear on the brakes.

I am so glad I bought a manual. An MT 135 is a joy to drive whether I'm on the parking lot known as the 405 or taking the sweeping curves in the middle of the night on Sunset Blvd.

08 jet black 135i | sport, 6-mt
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 12:12 AM   #161
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscience View Post
I am so glad I bought a manual. An MT 135 is a joy to drive whether I'm on the parking lot known as the 405 or taking the sweeping curves in the middle of the night on Sunset Blvd.
I grew up with manuals, my Dad didn't have any time for autos at all, but moving to the big city clutching all the way to town 45minutes plus every morning, and 30 minutes home every night, I soon got bored of that. One day in a manual with a nice stereo, and the foul commute became my time ... GO AUTOS !!!
      06-19-2008, 02:07 AM   #162
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

The fact of the matter is that. If I am driving a manual then literally no one except an uncle of mine can drive my car. Sad thing is that 90% of drivers in todays society cannot drive a manual.

Over the past few years I have thought about possibly writing a book called
Our Driving Heritage. Would anyone buy my book?

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 02:16 AM   #163
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Paddle Shifter Auto all the way!!

I have driven a manual for all my past cars like my E46 M3 Cabrio and 330CIC, Honda S2000 and Nissan 350Z. Yes I go through cars a lot since I tend to get bored easily so I turn around and sell them. All the cars mentioned have been manual/stick shift. Then when I decided to finally compare the two on the BMW 135I, I was sold on auto with Paddle Shifters which is very responsive when shift via paddle shifters. And the auto transmission seems to adapt to your driving style and can also be driven in sport drive for even more throttle response and aggressive shifts. They have come a long way in improving the automatics. For once it is nice to be able to choose how you want to drive. Both auto shifting and Paddle shifting are just as fun! And it is definitely nice to know you can drive in Auto in traffic especially here in the Bay Area.

One feature I love on my 650 is the Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go feature when in traffic!!! Only wish the car could auto steer for you in traffic too, then it would be all set!! Maybe someday! If the car knows how to stop and go, why not be able to to steer on its own too, especially when you activate the Lane Deviation Warning, it knows when you are moving to another lane without signaling and will vibrate the steering wheel. Cool Stuff!!:thumbup:
      06-19-2008, 02:47 AM   #164
oneill3
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe

Couple of questions about the auto in the 135
1. If you put it into manual mode, does it hold the gear when you get to the rev limit or does it automatically change up?
2. Will the auto automatically drop down gears when slowing? e.g. When slowing, some autos will hold the gear you were in and don't automatically drop down gears until you give it a bit of gas, so if you are driving along at 100 and hit the brakes slowing to 40, will the auto drop down and skip gears and select the correct gear?
      06-19-2008, 04:33 AM   #165
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Had an opportunity to drive a 135 w/auto last weekend, mostly to see how improved was the acceleration with an auto, were my intention to 1/4 mile this thing exclusively, the auto would have been the choice, however, local rural twisties demand a traditional stick, it's just too much fun to look the other way. IMO.

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 04:35 AM   #166
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneill3 View Post
Couple of questions about the auto in the 135
1. If you put it into manual mode, does it hold the gear when you get to the rev limit or does it automatically change up?
Did not for me with the transmission in Sport mode. Is that right, guys?

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 05:24 AM   #167
AlexM105
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surname View Post
Did not for me with the transmission in Sport mode. Is that right, guys?
My older 5-speed Step will NOT hold 1st gear in any mode. Might be the same for you guys, not sure on that.
      06-19-2008, 06:58 AM   #168
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
The fact of the matter is that. If I am driving a manual then literally no one except an uncle of mine can drive my car. Sad thing is that 90% of drivers in todays society cannot drive a manual.
How is this a bad thing? I barely let the SO drive my ZHP once every 3-4 months. And at that, its usually when we're out and I've had a little too much to drink...

Also, like someone said prior, its somewhat of a theft-deterrent, though I believe the thugs of Memphis will at least attempt to drive anything, or hook it up to a tow-dolly...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 08:39 AM   #169
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imola.zhp View Post
How is this a bad thing? I barely let the SO drive my ZHP once every 3-4 months. And at that, its usually when we're out and I've had a little too much to drink...
Haha I'm the exact same way

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #170
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Steptronic has the best of both worlds end of argument. I currently own a 2006 M3 6 speed manual lol......
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #171
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Step will upshift at redline regardless of what mode you're in (D, DS, M).
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 09:37 AM   #172
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by plien69 View Post
Step will upshift at redline regardless of what mode you're in (D, DS, M).
Well, right there you have it in a nut shell--the car is in control, not the driver. I would be less than happy if the car decided to shift in the middle of a corner at max levels of grip. In a manual I'd just let it bump off the rev limiter until the right time to shift.
      06-19-2008, 11:10 AM   #173
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 540 :: 09 STi

Manual. I massively regret getting the e39 in steptronic... so much that both 1ers are manual.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #174
AwesomeBMW
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
Well, right there you have it in a nut shell--the car is in control, not the driver. I would be less than happy if the car decided to shift in the middle of a corner at max levels of grip. In a manual I'd just let it bump off the rev limiter until the right time to shift.
exactly. The car is now my bitch instead of the other way around. An auto's idle speed is the most annoying thing. I keep anticipating my car to roll back on a slight incline, so i take my foot off the brake early, but no, it has to go forward. Until cars can read my mind, i won't buy an auto
      06-19-2008, 07:45 PM   #175
Omega Man
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
I guess I don't worry much about how fast I can go from a stand-still. Same reason the 0-60 times don't do much for me. It's a way to measure the performance of the car, I agree. But how often do you go floor the car from a standstill while driving in the city? 95% of the time (for daily drivers, not racing) 0-60 and 1/4 times mean nothing except bragging rights.
Flooring it in city traffic would seem to be a bit provocative in this car. Hard to miss it. Especially by LE. We need the Romulan Edition. To me it's about having it when I need it and that's pretty rare to be honest.
The black and red andrenaline rush has finally made it home from Sebastian Olszewski and the group at Mike Smith Beaumont. Got it right before the big storm hit, as in 36 hours before. So lucky. Anyway, these folks are a great dealership to do business with.
Ordered June 2008
ED July 2008
Stateside delivery September 2008
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #176
Severious
Private
Rep
Drives:

I love my manual for no other reason than when my friends or family ask if they can drive my car I simply ask, "Can you drive a manual yet?", knowing that the answer is no.....
Appreciate 0