BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-18-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

135i is Hagerty Top 10 Future Collector Car

This is from a year-old press release, but my local paper (SJ Mercury) just referenced it on Saturday as if it were new and a search on our forum showed up blank.

Hagerty lists the 135i on the it's 'Top 10 Future Collector Cars Under $50,000'.

http://www.hagerty.com/lifestyle/pre....aspx?id=44750
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Collector cars are going to be *very* different in 20 years. Once the electronic bits for cars made now go out of production, it's going to be a complete headache to own an older car. Can you imagine trying to source all the various circuitry in our cars?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Well we will certainly see. I think the SGM 1ers will be far more collectible than other 2008s (rare first year only color) But I dont see a 1er in 50 years selling for 660K

But you never know. An unmolested low mileage E30 M3 will still snage over 20K, sometimes 30K depending on the history of the car. Maybe in another 30 years that will appreciate even more.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
singular
Captain
Rep

lol - true no doubt. Kind of like owning a collector laptop!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
singular
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Well we will certainly see. I think the SGM 1ers will be far more collectible than other 2008s (rare first year only color) But I dont see a 1er in 50 years selling for 660K

But you never know. An unmolested low mileage E30 M3 will still snage over 20K, sometimes 30K depending on the history of the car. Maybe in another 30 years that will appreciate even more.
In 50 years, 660K will be the price of a new BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed 2.0 View Post
Collector cars are going to be *very* different in 20 years. Once the electronic bits for cars made now go out of production, it's going to be a complete headache to own an older car. Can you imagine trying to source all the various circuitry in our cars?
I've thought the exact same thing. Cars these days with all the plastic interior bits and electronics are not built to last 50 years. They are more reliable than they were in the past but I find that older cars are built more solidly as people kept them for 15 years or so. Now a days, people flip leases every 3 years so they don't car about wear and tear beyond that.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

It is weird since there are not as many 1ers made or sold in the US as 3's but the resale value of them is dropping like a stone.
      01-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed 2.0 View Post
Not so sure that's true. I don't know of a code techologhy based product that can not be reurrected if there is a market or a desire. New game variations are being created by a close knit group of Pong fanatics. Pong released in 1977. Apple IIe's can still be programmed. Introduced in the late 70's. The ill fated Apple Lisa can still be run and has emulators allowing it to run current software.

Card reader IBM 360 model @20's can be programmed and run using cobal, RPG and other abandoned programming languages.

Granted the approach and process for collecting and operating a collectible may change - but like adapting one today to unleaded and increased ethanol fuels.

Where there is a will, a market and money - there is a way.

Now off to play my guitar on a vacuum based technology amplifier.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 07:33 AM   #9
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Some 1s may become collector cars, but that depends on what BMW does with the future engines. If the horsepower highwater mark for the 1 becomes the performance enhanced N54, than that will be the collectable. Like a good ol Detroit muscle car.
      01-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #10
TMR013
Opus Angelus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 Coupe

I just don't see it. Like Nick said, I doubt these engines will hold together for 20-30 years, especially the way Addicts drive them. And a big key to current classic cars, is there is an entire aftermarket to support them. Have an old mustang, order a brand new engine for it. I just don;t see that with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 09:23 AM   #11
singular
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post
I just don't see it. Like Nick said, I doubt these engines will hold together for 20-30 years, especially the way Addicts drive them. And a big key to current classic cars, is there is an entire aftermarket to support them. Have an old mustang, order a brand new engine for it. I just don;t see that with BMW.
How about an engine for a 2002tii?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Predicting future classics is pretty scetchy business as far as I'm concerned. There are so many factors that go into making a desirable classic, and so many other things that contribute that can't be predicted. A lot of what makes the current crop of expensive classics what they are is the fact that they represent the end of an era, when fuel prices spiked and emissions controls were mandated, killing performance for a couple of decades. I'm not sure we'll ever see that happen again.

I don't think I'll be running out to buy a new 135i to mothball as an investment.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #13
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Predicting future classics is pretty scetchy business as far as I'm concerned. There are so many factors that go into making a desirable classic, and so many other things that contribute that can't be predicted. A lot of what makes the current crop of expensive classics what they are is the fact that they represent the end of an era, when fuel prices spiked and emissions controls were mandated, killing performance for a couple of decades. I'm not sure we'll ever see that happen again.

I don't think I'll be running out to buy a new 135i to mothball as an investment.
I think you have the right perspective. Back in 1978 I had a friend buy and mothball a 1978 Corvette Indy Pace Car replica at nearly 25% over sticker because Chevy said they were going to limit production to 300. Nearly 7000 Indy cars later the value tanked and he eventually sold it as a really well preserved used car and lost his shorts.

Who knows.... Collectibles of any kind are will will remain a gamble.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #14
bluejaypanther
Nerd!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i Coupe 6MT

Quote:

I agree, it seems ridiculous to speculate on an item which, 99% of the time, depreciates along a well known curve. If you hold onto it for 20+ years, it's because you love it, not because you see it as an investment.
Gangplank1539.50
      01-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejaypanther View Post
...If you hold onto it for 20+ years, it's because you love it, not because you see it as an investment.
+1

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #16
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

As was stated earlier the electronics of new cars will make restoring them very complicated, restoring a car thats 50 years old is pretty straightforward.

Try restoring a car with sophisticated computers and electronics, youll need a PhD in digital circuit design to try and 'rebuild' the stuff that makes the engine run.

Its not like a V8 from 1965, the only thing electrical about it was the alternator.

And I dont anticipate the 1 series (or any modern car for that matter) to last 50 years, so rebuilding is not a question of IF but more a question of WHEN and HOW MUCH.
      01-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #17
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBFIU View Post
As was stated earlier the electronics of new cars will make restoring them very complicated, restoring a car thats 50 years old is pretty straightforward.

Try restoring a car with sophisticated computers and electronics, youll need a PhD in digital circuit design to try and 'rebuild' the stuff that makes the engine run.

Its not like a V8 from 1965, the only thing electrical about it was the alternator.

And I dont anticipate the 1 series (or any modern car for that matter) to last 50 years, so rebuilding is not a question of IF but more a question of WHEN and HOW MUCH.

I'm not so sure the electronics are going to be as much of an issue as some of you think they are. There's a lot of that stuff that will be able to be repaired once the technology is obsolete and the engineering information is released. Not to mention the advances in standalone management systems will make the factory controls less important and the standardized CAN BUS being used right now will make some cool aftermarket stuff possible going forward.

It's not going to be cheap, but I don't think the controls systems means modern cars are just going to have to be scrapped when they're 20 years old.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #18
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not so sure the electronics are going to be as much of an issue as some of you think they are. There's a lot of that stuff that will be able to be repaired once the technology is obsolete and the engineering information is released. Not to mention the advances in standalone management systems will make the factory controls less important and the standardized CAN BUS being used right now will make some cool aftermarket stuff possible going forward.

It's not going to be cheap, but I don't think the controls systems means modern cars are just going to have to be scrapped when they're 20 years old.

Agreed, I may be over-inflating the complexity of the restoration project. But if someone runs a standalone system in this car, it will not be an OEM-like car and thus its value will not be as high.

Its like taking an original Dodge Charger R/T with a broken carb and slapping on a brand new holley double pumper as a replacement; now try to sell the car as a stock restored classic. It will be worth less because you have the new stuff on there that wasnt OEM.

So I guess, if one were to entirely recreate the CANBUS system, it would be costly, in 50 years. And I think more costly as compared to restoring a 50 year old car today.
      01-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #19
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agreed, I may be over-inflating the complexity of the restoration project. But if someone runs a standalone system in this car, it will not be an OEM-like car and thus its value will not be as high.

Its like taking an original Dodge Charger R/T with a broken carb and slapping on a brand new holley double pumper as a replacement; now try to sell the car as a stock restored classic. It will be worth less because you have the new stuff on there that wasnt OEM.

So I guess, if one were to entirely recreate the CANBUS system, it would be costly, in 50 years. And I think more costly as compared to restoring a 50 year old car today.

I'm thinking you won't have to totally replace everything in the car. One thing about modern electronics is that they are VERY well contructed, and should work for a long time. Sitting in a junkyard won't really bother them like it would a carburator or engine.

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly going to bring a new dimension to restoration, but I don't think it's going to be such a big deal that it will prevent it from being done.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #20
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm thinking you won't have to totally replace everything in the car. One thing about modern electronics is that they are VERY well contructed, and should work for a long time. Sitting in a junkyard won't really bother them like it would a carburator or engine.

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly going to bring a new dimension to restoration, but I don't think it's going to be such a big deal that it will prevent it from being done.
True, solid state electronics are exactly that. SOLID state, meaning no moving parts. They are for the most part very reliable, set it and forget it type of thing. In a perfect universe, that is.

I guess my first question to someone in 50 years would be..

Where are you gonna get a stock ECU for a 2009 135i?

Just playing devils advocate
      01-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #21
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess my first question to someone in 50 years would be..

Where are you gonna get a stock ECU for a 2009 135i?

Why would you want a stock one? I want one with a good flash in it.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #22
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why would you want a stock one? I want one with a good flash in it.

Hahaha,

Imagine getting a hold of a JB3 in 50 years.

You would be the baddest kid on the block.