Slm737
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5d

Question At 6’ 7”, can I fit in an i8?

Found this old thread:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=151549

While searching for info on an i8.

I’m 6’7” 310- My daily driver is a 2012 X5 diesel. Fun to drive, fast, quick enough (since no car this side of super car is going to compare to my VRSCDX) with all the utility of an SUV - and I step into it instead of that deep one legged squat. The torque is great. I used to pull my boat in a Jeep Grand Cherokee - 18mpg turned into 8 mpg when I loaded the boat up. In the BMW, 22mpg city, turns into 21.5mpg with a 5000lb boat on the hitch. Love that diesel. My friend’s M5 is really fast, but it’s not like my diesel struggles in any mode after the turbo kicks in.

That said, if you want to stay with the sedans or coupes- there is no reason you need to limit yourself to a 7 series. I fit fine in a 535 loaner from the dealer, and have driven every version of a 3 series with no problem- the M3 is a rocket.
Depends on what you want- a daily driver or for the track? Believe me, 10 years later- the OP has his answer but for big men- it’s always a relevant question. The world isn’t made for us.

Back to how I discovered that thread - Can I fit in an i8?

If anyone has info on that, I’d appreciate it. The sales price on the lease returns seem like a good deal right now, but not as if it’s insanely awkward folding myself into it.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #2
MichaelJohn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8, Kia EV6 GT

I am 6’ tall with a long torso and I do have make an effort to fold up to not bang my head getting in. My son is taller than I am but when I drive his X3 I have to adjust the mirror due to what he calls my “freakishly long torso” so I am probably the equivalent of 6’ 2” or 6’ 3” from the waist up. When I first got the car I did hit my head until I learned to duck down more. I get in butt first and then swing my legs in and I have no problem now but I still do graze my head occasionally. I would think that you should be able to find an i8 somewhere in the Bay Area to try out. When I last had my car serviced at Stevens Creek BMW in Santa Clara they had 2 on the floor. At your height you definitely need to try it yourself and you won’t really know until you do.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

I am also 6'7" and the i8 was my daily driver for 2 years. Interior space was never an issue. Like MichaelJohn says you have to watch your head getting in and out, but you'll get the technique down.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

I'm a "big" guy (but not a "tall" guy)... ;-)

The entry/exit technique that I was shown by the delivery agent at the Welt was to put one leg in (or out), hold onto the inside handle of the open door, and then basically swing yourself in (or out) of the car.

I say this because the guy in the "official" BMW video shows to swing both legs in or out at the same time ("butt first").

IMHO: The "one leg first" technique shown to me at the Welt is MUCH easier for larger folks (especially if you have to fold yourself up using the other method)... By splitting your legs you can actually get your torso closer to the foot well in the car and don't have to double up as much.

You definitely SHOULD try and find an i8 at a dealership to test both these methods to see which one works best for you. I had gotten in/out of an i8 ONCE before I purchased my Roadster, but I was really fearing having an issue during a very "public" delivery at the Welt. (The Internet does not need another video of a fat guy getting out of an i8.)

Anyway, the "one leg first" technique works much better for me. ...and if you are REALLY worried about it just get a Roadster and put the top down before getting in/out. That makes it MUCH easier (and you can close/open the top from outside the car using the key fob remote).
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 05:11 AM   #5
Sophisto
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 / BMW 850iA

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post

Anyway, the "one leg first" technique works much better for me..
100% agree.
I am 6'5" and I am never doing it in the "butt first" way because of my shoes (size 12!) were hitting the dashboard every time.
Appreciate 0