BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #1
LcossE82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 128i

Solid works Coilovers help!!

Hey guys been on the forums for a little bit now. Only registered today. Ran into some trouble attempting to swap my oem suspensions to a set of solid works adjustable Coilovers on 2013 bmw 128i. I couldn't find a single relative aid to it and i am struggling. I've listened all that was needed to and the strut is moving around but there is not enough space to take the whole assembly out. Can anyone direct me to a guide with instructions to do so? I've found some for all years except my 2013.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
The 2013 is the same as every single other year of the E8x (and E9x) in terms of suspension and drivetrain. Any of those guides will work...
      10-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
crowtrobot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LcossE82 View Post
Hey guys been on the forums for a little bit now. Only registered today. Ran into some trouble attempting to swap my oem suspensions to a set of solid works adjustable Coilovers on 2013 bmw 128i. I couldn't find a single relative aid to it and i am struggling. I've listened all that was needed to and the strut is moving around but there is not enough space to take the whole assembly out. Can anyone direct me to a guide with instructions to do so? I've found some for all years except my 2013.
Make sure you grab enough coils when you compress the spring. I unfortunately didn't grab enough and had to re-do the spring compressors to get the clearance I needed. Even then, it's pretty tight. You have to kind of rotate the spring hat to get the studs to clear as you pull the thing out.

Also, did you loosen the control arm bolts enough?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
LcossE82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtrobot View Post
Quote:
Make sure you grab enough coils when you compress the spring. I unfortunately didn't grab enough and had to re-do the spring compressors to get the clearance I needed.

Did you loosen the control arm bolts enough?
Ugh I knew I forgot something🤦🏽*♂️ at least now I know what to get. Thanks. And yes I did. Plenty of movement but since my amateur self didn't compress the springs the set was to tall to be able to squeeze under the fender. Thanks for the reminder.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Make sure you grab enough coils when you compress the spring. I unfortunately didn't grab enough and had to re-do the spring compressors to get the clearance I needed. Even then, it's pretty tight. You have to kind of rotate the spring hat to get the studs to clear as you pull the thing out.

Yeah loosen the control arm bolts, STEP on the brake hub to push to the ground, then pull the strut out, while rotating the hat as it comes out

You're gonna wanna use some painters tape on the fender so WHEN it inevitably hits, you'll be okay.

Also for the rear shocks, yes you have to manually compress the shock yourself and put it in place before it expands. It's a process
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #6
LcossE82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Quote:

Yeah loosen the control arm bolts, STEP on the brake hub to push to the ground, then pull the strut out, while rotating the hat as it comes out

You're gonna wanna use some painters tape on the fender so WHEN it inevitably hits, you'll be okay.

Also for the rear shocks, yes you have to manually compress the shock yourself and put it in place before it expands. It's a process
Update. New suspension is in and baby is it low😁
Although there is a repetitive thumping from my right rear set, all was tightened to what it needed to be, it is quite annoying and obvious also its almost a scraping noise when I get past 20 mph. Not sure what to do. Debating if taking it to a shop just to check out that set. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2018, 08:57 PM   #7
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Quote:

Update. New suspension is in and baby is it low😁
Although there is a repetitive thumping from my right rear set, all was tightened to what it needed to be, it is quite annoying and obvious also its almost a scraping noise when I get past 20 mph. Not sure what to do. Debating if taking it to a shop just to check out that set. Any suggestions?
Make sure the springs are oriented correctly and you got the shock hardware on in the right order. Double check your torques as well, it can make a huge difference.