BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-19-2021, 09:33 PM   #1
MarinerZ4C
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0Si Coupe

A8AD error for FRM - "Sidemarker Light Right Faulty"

If you have come across this error, and are confused, there's help.

On E90Post you can find: A8AD Sidemarker Light Right Faulty

I had an intermittent A8AD code for my "side marker lamp" - but it's not really a side marker, it's the standing / parking light inset into the high beam bowl on halogen headlight pre-LCI cars (not sure about LCI cars).

The code is from the "hot check" of these lamps. ProTools or other coding tools can code out the check, but I wanted to fix the issue. New Philips 12961 LL bulbs in both left and right positions fixed my issue. Changing these bulbs is a bit strange - the bulb holders have a stem on the back about 40mm (1.6" or so) long. Remove the headlight bucket back covers first. To get enough room for this, remove the air filter box on Left side, and on the Right side LOOSEN (don't remove) the nuts holding your Supplemental Air pump mount (if you have an N51 car). The holder press fits into the high beam reflector bowl - so wiggle and pull it out, remove the old bulb, insert a new one (a little dielectric grease is good here), and then guide the bulb and holder back into position in the bowl - making sure it is well seated.

Hope this helps someone else puzzled by the "side marker lamp" error.
Appreciate 0