BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-14-2015, 07:45 PM   #23
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
OP - you DO realize that the GTI is front-wheel-drive and your 135 is rear-wheel drive, correct? If that doesn't matter to you, then whatever floats your boat...but please don't try to convince those of us who are BMW fans that it's a "better car". It may well be true for you, but likely not for us. To be succinct, Hell will freeze over before the wife (or I) give up her 128i M-Sport 6MT for any VW. My experience with VW as a company/manufacturer in the past has been very unsatisfactory, and for that reason, I'll never ever buy another one of their products.
In my humble opinion the 128i M sport 6MT is a better choice for those that prefer RWD and truly the hidden gem and last of the NA BMWs. But it was more expensive than a base GTI. You don't get cloth seats which again, if you are talking purist, the cloth is much better than the vinyl on the base 128. Also, you get can get 4 door GTI if you have kids and it is amazingly practical. The seats in the GTI are amazingly good and you get a dual clutch or manual option and they are everywhere. Finding a 6MT 128i that is not bloated is almost impossible. So I agree that the 128i being rear drive is a better car for us for sure, but for most people, the GTI is an amazing package. I am lucky that the wife drives a dual clutch GTI and I have the NA 330i and 1M. Of all three, I put the GTI seats at best in class, the ZHP alcantara seats second and the 1M which has the exact same seats as the 128i as third. Not by much, but I am being objective...I think. I don't work or own stock in BMW or VW!

So both of you are right about different things...and that is the beauty of having choices. Lets all of us Car nut brethren join hands and sing Kumbaya not as BMW and VW people but as Car-loving people!!!

: ) Peace
I think the GTI represents a great compromise as a practical, affordable, fun DD. And this latest iteration Mk7 is getting a lot of great press. If I were in the market for a new car, it would be a very strong contender. At the time I bought my 128i, base pricing was just a hair under $30k, so it represented sort of an expensive alternative to the GTI, although still sort of in the same league. Of course, for the price diff you got RWD, an inline six, and 50/50 weight distribution. These days? The entry level Bimmer (228i) is approaching $40k (with Track Pack) and it would be a lot more tempting to pick up a base GTI with Performance & Lighting Packs for >$10k saved.

Although even compared to the new GTI, I think the 128i is a better choice (for me, even if I could sometimes use those rear doors, and those plaid seats are super cool). The car just has so much soul, if it's spec'ed and built right. And you just don't see too many around, especially the good "purist" variants.
      09-14-2015, 08:58 PM   #24
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

The new GTI is a great car. MKV gen and up are great really. I have a '07 GLI that's faster than my stock 1, both on track and in a straight line.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #25
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
In my humble opinion the 128i M sport 6MT is a better choice for those that prefer RWD and truly the hidden gem and last of the NA BMWs. But it was more expensive than a base GTI. You don't get cloth seats which again, if you are talking purist, the cloth is much better than the vinyl on the base 128. Also, you get can get 4 door GTI if you have kids and it is amazingly practical. The seats in the GTI are amazingly good and you get a dual clutch or manual option and they are everywhere. Finding a 6MT 128i that is not bloated is almost impossible. So I agree that the 128i being rear drive is a better car for us for sure, but for most people, the GTI is an amazing package. I am lucky that the wife drives a dual clutch GTI and I have the NA 330i and 1M. Of all three, I put the GTI seats at best in class, the ZHP alcantara seats second and the 1M which has the exact same seats as the 128i as third. Not by much, but I am being objective...I think. I don't work or own stock in BMW or VW!

So both of you are right about different things...and that is the beauty of having choices. Lets all of us Car nut brethren join hands and sing Kumbaya not as BMW and VW people but as Car-loving people!!!

All I'm saying here is that all this "justification" about moving away from BMW isn't necessary. Congrats on the new ride, glad you like it, etc, etc., etc. But I'd wager that the majority of us really aren't that interested in understanding people's motivations in selecting a non-BMW vehicle. BMWs aren't particularly practical or inexpensive, and those are the primary motivations of most buyers of lower-tier brands. Let's face it - nobody buys a 1-series as a "practical family car/daily driver" because it's readily apparent that it's neither of those things. To many, there's an element of "status symbol" in choosing a BMW; to others, it's the performance/handling/engineering factor endemic to the brand, and that's what I subscribe to. 50+ years of driving (not necessarily owning) nearly every brand available in the US gives me that perspective. Economic conditions may change for me in the future and that may change that perspective, but that'll likely be the only reason.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #26
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
All I'm saying here is that all this "justification" about moving away from BMW isn't necessary. Congrats on the new ride, glad you like it, etc, etc., etc. But I'd wager that the majority of us really aren't that interested in understanding people's motivations in selecting a non-BMW vehicle. BMWs aren't particularly practical or inexpensive, and those are the primary motivations of most buyers of lower-tier brands. Let's face it - nobody buys a 1-series as a "practical family car/daily driver" because it's readily apparent that it's neither of those things. To many, there's an element of "status symbol" in choosing a BMW; to others, it's the performance/handling/engineering factor endemic to the brand, and that's what I subscribe to. 50+ years of driving (not necessarily owning) nearly every brand available in the US gives me that perspective. Economic conditions may change for me in the future and that may change that perspective, but that'll likely be the only reason.
If you are looking for a "prestigious ride," check out this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSuUxRHioa8&app=desktop

And if you just can't wait to buy it, here's the sales listing:

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/5182634309.html

This has been listed repeatedly for at least 6 months, and I'm assuming the seller is serious, but I have no way of knowing for sure
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 10:31 AM   #27
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
If you are looking for a "prestigious ride," check out this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSuUxRHioa8&app=desktop

And if you just can't wait to buy it, here's the sales listing:

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/5182634309.html

This has been listed repeatedly for at least 6 months, and I'm assuming the seller is serious, but I have no way of knowing for sure

That was painful.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #28
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

I had a 2000 GTI VR6, which I bought new and liked it but I missed the push of a rear drive performance car.

I have to disagree about the interior being better in the GTi than the 135i. The fit and finish in the 135i is much higher quality than the GTI. I owne dmy GTi for 3 years about 43K miles and traded it in for a new 2002 BMW 325Ci. Kept the 325Ci for 92K before I got my 135i.... which just hit 96K today at lunch
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 07:06 PM   #29
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob
Quote:
Quote:
OP - you DO realize that the GTI is front-wheel-drive and your 135 is rear-wheel drive, correct? If that doesn't matter to you, then whatever floats your boat...but please don't try to convince those of us who are BMW fans that it's a "better car". It may well be true for you, but likely not for us. To be succinct, Hell will freeze over before the wife (or I) give up her 128i M-Sport 6MT for any VW. My experience with VW as a company/manufacturer in the past has been very unsatisfactory, and for that reason, I'll never ever buy another one of their products.

I think the GTI represents a great compromise as a practical, affordable, fun DD. And this latest iteration Mk7 is getting a lot of great press. If I were in the market for a new car, it would be a very strong contender. At the time I bought my 128i, base pricing was just a hair under $30k, so it represented sort of an expensive alternative to the GTI, although still sort of in the same league. Of course, for the price diff you got RWD, an inline six, and 50/50 weight distribution. These days? The entry level Bimmer (228i) is approaching $40k (with Track Pack) and it would be a lot more tempting to pick up a base GTI with Performance & Lighting Packs for >$10k saved.

Although even compared to the new GTI, I think the 128i is a better choice (for me, even if I could sometimes use those rear doors, and those plaid seats are super cool). The car just has so much soul, if it's spec'ed and built right. And you just don't see too many around, especially the good "purist" variants.
Can you tune the MKVII for more power and does the OP intend to? This would make a difference to me in my decision making.

I was at a smaller track very recently yesterday with my 128i and a friend with his '07 GTI (thats an MKV I believe?) which is tuned to something like 240-250 whp and wtq. We took turns driving each other in our respective cars. Let me tell you the power and handling of that car (even on Michelin A/S tires) when contrasted with the 128i is more than respectable. It felt punchier exiting turns on WOT and it was just a hoot. And I was out in my car having it driven by a professional driver before the GTI ride.

The GTI is not a 135i but when tuned it has nothing to be ashamed of especially against the 128i. I respect both cars now more than ever but performance wise you can't go wrong with either. I'm not sure I would a tuned GTI a compromise. Would love to do a back to back drive against an MKVII with no tune just to see the difference.

The 128i sounds smoother though even if it's exhaust note isn't as loud or aggressive
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 07:28 PM   #30
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
The new GTI is a great car. MKV gen and up are great really. I have a '07 GLI that's faster than my stock 1, both on track and in a straight line.
No it's not.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2015, 08:36 PM   #31
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob
Quote:
Quote:

Can you tune the MKVII for more power and does the OP intend to? This would make a difference to me in my decision making.

I was at a smaller track very recently yesterday with my 128i and a friend with his '07 GTI (thats an MKV I believe?) which is tuned to something like 240-250 whp and wtq. We took turns driving each other in our respective cars. Let me tell you the power and handling of that car (even on Michelin A/S tires) when contrasted with the 128i is more than respectable. It felt punchier exiting turns on WOT and it was just a hoot. And I was out in my car having it driven by a professional driver before the GTI ride.

The GTI is not a 135i but when tuned it has nothing to be ashamed of especially against the 128i. I respect both cars now more than ever but performance wise you can't go wrong with either. I'm not sure I would a tuned GTI a compromise. Would love to do a back to back drive against an MKVII with no tune just to see the difference.

The 128i sounds smoother though even if it's exhaust note isn't as loud or aggressive
Yeah the new GTI's can be tuned for >300 HP with a tune that's like $700 or something. I know this because the shop that installed my headers is primarily VAG-focused, and GTI's are obviously a big part of their business (they also happen to be an Active Autowerke dealer, which is why I let them do the headers).

Anyway, it's crazy what you can do with a turbo engine. More power is cheap, just turn up the boost. No idea how it affects engine longevity. But in any case, there's more to life than HP, and I still feel like my 1er hits the sweet spot in terms of chassis dynamics and personality, and there just aren't a ton of them around. It's like a cult car. The GTI has its fans, of course, but it's relatively commonplace in comparison.

That said, if my 1er was totaled tomorrow, I would probably shop this new GTI. It wouldn't be a direct replacement by any means, but as an easy to live with daily driver (4-doors, hatch, pretty good on gas, reasonably affordable, by all accounts fun to drive) I think you could do much worse. My 1er is far less practical for me to be honest (wife and 2 young sons, but we/she have a 4Runner for "real life"), but I think it feels like much more of a toy than any GTI ever would, for better and worse.
      09-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #32
Dilmorecg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

I had a GTI before I got the 1er and they are great cars. Ive often thought about going back to one or maybe a Golf R but my only issue is you see them everywhere. I like having the 135i because you don't see them that often.
      09-17-2015, 04:50 PM   #33
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilmorecg View Post
I like having the 135i because you don't see them that often.
I definitely agree with this statement. In my neck of the woods, I literally have only seen as many 1ers as I can count on my two hands, but see a 3 series practically every day. LOVE IT!
      09-17-2015, 05:26 PM   #34
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
No it's not.
You're familiar with my car then, huh? Track car, totally gutted and prepared, with a K04. I assure you it's faster than the 1. Roll races are not even close. The 1 does get off the line better.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #35
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
You're familiar with my car then, huh? Track car, totally gutted and prepared, with a K04. I assure you it's faster than the 1. Roll races are not even close. The 1 does get off the line better.
It's a VW.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #36
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It's a VW.
Real car guy spotted.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 09:22 PM   #37
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Real car guy spotted.
Yeah I am one, that's why I think VW makes shit cars for posers/backwards hat wearing bros and women.

Nothing VW makes will ever be good. Nothing. The brand is built around being "almost"

Almost luxury. Almost competent. Almost reliable. Almost BMW. Almost good.

How VW can make the shit that they do, and people eat it up is beyond me. I'd actually rather drive a Chrysler product: at least it a cheap disposable POS.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 11:00 PM   #38
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I am one, that's why I think VW makes shit cars for posers/backwards hat wearing bros and women.

Nothing VW makes will ever be good. Nothing. The brand is built around being "almost"

Almost luxury. Almost competent. Almost reliable. Almost BMW. Almost good.

How VW can make the shit that they do, and people eat it up is beyond me. I'd actually rather drive a Chrysler product: at least it a cheap disposable POS.
Please, tell us what you really think
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #39
NYHoustonman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Dinan S3

Please, give me more blind life-sustaining BMW fanboyism!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #40
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHoustonman View Post
Please, give me more blind life-sustaining BMW fanboyism!
I'm not a BMW fanboy, I just think VW is shit. Literally all their cars are a Golf or a variant of a Golf. A4? Golf. A8? Golf. No surprise their cars are FWD based shitboxes that car 80% of their weight over the front axle. No thanks.

Last edited by Taskmaster; 04-13-2016 at 05:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #41
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not a BMW fanboy, I just think VW is shit. Literally all their cars are a Golf or a variant of a Golf. A4? Golf. A8? Golf. No supurprise thier cars are FWD based shitboxes that car 80% of thier weight over the front axle. No thanks.
I'm not a huge fan of VWs, either, however have owned one for a year recently and have rented them many times in France. They are not the world's worst car by any means.

As to BMWs, people living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. BMW no longer makes drivers' cars, they make luxury cars many of which have powerful engines. The current crop of BMW automobiles for sale is every bit as unappealing as any, no less VW, however for different reasons.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 12:36 PM   #42
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

You know someone doesn't really get cars when they think a GTI is a bad car
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #43
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
You know someone doesn't really get cars when they think a GTI is a bad car
You can drive your unreliable, overpriced FWD shitbox. Honestly now, I don't know how anyone can call themselves a car guy and spend real money on a Golf over another car.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 02:49 PM   #44
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
You can drive your unreliable, overpriced FWD shitbox. Honestly now, I don't know how anyone can call themselves a car guy and spend real money on a Golf over another car.
Well I mean it accelerates around the same as your car stock for stock, pulls more G's on the skid pad, responds better to mods, gets better gas mileage, is cheaper to maintain, is not primarily driven by upper-middle class highschool girls... I could go on.
Appreciate 0