BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-02-2010, 06:44 AM   #1
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

Redline Time Attack Rd. 4 Recap

So another crazy weekend at Redline Time Attack. This time, it was at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana. The BMWs again were battling it out for the top spots in the Street RWD class. Congrats to Mike Bonanni and the Berk Technology crew, our newest sponsored team for taking 2nd place with a 1:51:373.

So quick recap of our weekend. Since Auto Club Speedway was a very high speed track, we focused primarily on the aerodynamics upgrades for this event. We built a new center exit exhaust to accommodate our new rear diffuser design. A new APR Performance GT-300 wing went on as well. We also changed our tires to the Toyo R1R which performed beautifully.

Saturday practice went very well as we held the fastest time in our class. Car ran great in the morning but during the afternoon, limp mode reared it's ugly head again. Luckily, the HP Autowerks (Harold) were pitted next to us and was gracious enough to scan our car. Big props to them for helping the "competition" hehe. Coolant temps were the culprit as it was getting quite warm in the afternoon. Our car really hates the high speed oval at Auto Club Speedway. We quickly rigged our Snow Performance Methanol Injectors to spray our radiator and the band aid fix worked as we were again able to make a full lap again (well with a cool down lap in between laps). Sunday morning we rig up a second methanol injector to spray the radiator which then allowed us to run limp mode free the rest of the day.

Sunday qualifying went as well as possible. We had put down the fastest lap up to that time again and we sat in first. However during the last qualifying session, we had a mishap. We hit 2 cones at 100mph and causes damage to the car. We pulled back into the garage to access the damage and attempt to repair it. The impact had bent the front edge of our splitter and the entire aluminum splitter had buckled from the front edge all the way back. With the damage from the splitter, we feared the worse for the front bumper. We were surprised to find that our dry vacuum front bumper had sustained the impact very well. The entire right side had spider webs which we originally though was cracks ended up being cracks from the clear coat. The only thing that broke off were the mounts for the splitter arms. Drilling new mounts and some duct tape fixed that problem With a hammer, wood and the stick of our floor jack we were able to fix the splitter enough to keep it on. Next event, make a spare splitter =P.

So as I mentioned earlier, we had switch from the Yokohama Advan AD08 285/30/18 to the Toyo R1R 265/35/18. The Toyo R1R tire was great all weekend. However, being our first outing with the Toyo's, the wear rate/softer compound of the Toyo R1Rs caught us off guard. The front tires which usually hold up better than the rears were wearing faster than expected and by Sunday were not in good shape. Unfortunately, we only had 1 set with us and had to run the entire weekend with them. We were still able to maintain our fast times but were not able to push harder during competition. Another offroad mishap during competition made the decision easy. No more pushing, bring the car back in 1 piece. Berk came on strong during competition and put down some blazing laps and surpassed our fastest lap. We ended up finishing in 3rd place, still a good day! The BMWs represented, taking home 2nd, 3rd and 4th place.

So here are some pictures of our car from the event:

Last edited by Evolution Racewerks; 06-02-2010 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
aisthetes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Competition

Great work and clever ingenuity, Fred. It's nice to see the BMW teams working together, and dominating! Well done. More speed is yet to come.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Congrats on another podium guys! That's 2 for 2! All of us are doing very well this year and are dominating our class.

The ER Chargepipe on our car fit perfectly and I'm happy to report had zero issues with it. Nothing but lighter weight, better looks, and that cool sound!
Appreciate 0