BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-06-2019, 06:43 PM   #1
Kdubs88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 328i

Active steering issues

Hey guys so my 2008 135i has an active steering malfunction pop up still and the steering wheel now sits 45° to the right while the car tracks straight.

I just installed airlift front and rear on Saturday, and just got a fresh alignment this morning. The sheet looks good everything is damn near perfect.

So when I first start the car, the steering wheel is completely straight while the car is driving straight. After about a mile, the active steering malfunction warning pops up, steering gets tight almost like there's no power steering, and the steering wheel offsets to the right. If I park, leave the steering to the right so the wheels are straight, and then shut the car off, when I turn it back on the steering wheel snaps to the straight position. Then once I start driving again, I get the error and it offsets.

I did the steering angle sensor cleaning so far and that's it. Any suggestions as to what is going on would be great, I just want to be straight while driving. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:28 PM   #2
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdubs88 View Post
Hey guys so my 2008 135i has an active steering malfunction pop up still and the steering wheel now sits 45° to the right while the car tracks straight.

I just installed airlift front and rear on Saturday, and just got a fresh alignment this morning. The sheet looks good everything is damn near perfect.

So when I first start the car, the steering wheel is completely straight while the car is driving straight. After about a mile, the active steering malfunction warning pops up, steering gets tight almost like there's no power steering, and the steering wheel offsets to the right. If I park, leave the steering to the right so the wheels are straight, and then shut the car off, when I turn it back on the steering wheel snaps to the straight position. Then once I start driving again, I get the error and it offsets.

I did the steering angle sensor cleaning so far and that's it. Any suggestions as to what is going on would be great, I just want to be straight while driving. Thank you
So this happened after or before your sensor cleaning?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:30 PM   #3
Kdubs88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Quote:

So this happened after or before your sensor cleaning?
It was happening before the cleaning, and before the alignment and is still happening.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #4
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
It was happening before the cleaning, and before the alignment and is still happening.
How much is that sensor? Try replacing it?
Appreciate 0