BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: What do you use
Zaino 43 53.75%
P29s 1 1.25%
Griots 5 6.25%
Zymoil 9 11.25%
Other 22 27.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

10-25-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
Addict...Nah Im A Junkie!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, 98 M rdstr

Question Why everyone uses Zaino???

Hi all,

For many years I have washed my cars switching between P29, griots, and zymoil products. This site is the first time I've hear of Zaino.

1) So why do you all use this? What benefits do you feel there are? It doesn't seem that much cheaper?

2) Do you trust it?? This is very important, I mean a respray is a lot of money and I keep cars over 10 years....No lease for me.

Just wondering what everyone thinks....

Please vote and let it be know to everybody what you use.

Thanks in advance.
      10-25-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
corpsman
130 kmh, yeah right.
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Montego,6MT,

I'm interested in people's input.
I also plan to keep mine for 10+ years.
34 days and counting.
      10-25-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
Captain
Rep

Update for those who use other.....

Hey guys, thanks for voting.....

If your use other please lets us know what and why if possible???

Thanks again!
      10-25-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
G5Ti
Purveyor of fine roads.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

I never jumped on the Zaino bandwagon, but the products seem just fine.

It's not really so much what you use as long as you apply it correctly. I did all sorts of unnecessary research into the composition of various waxes and polishes and the types of paint and processes BMW uses, and I still arrived at the end conclusion that pretty much any product is just fine.

That said, I've had personal experience with BMW's own stuff, Griot's and Zymöl, as well as a variety of unbrand/store brand/discount store stuff. It's all pretty equal, really.

Because of the simplicity of the Griot's products and the easy adaptability to various applications and vehicle types, I choose to use primarily products from them. Their customer service is also excellent, and if you watch for coupon codes, the merchandise is often then less expensive than other competitive brands.
      10-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

i just heard of zaino in the last few months when i got my 135 and started coming to this forum. Seemed like everyone uses it. Now I had been a Klasse All-in-one advocate for a few years and its all I used. And it would always leave powder and dust when I was polishing it off. With the Zaino, there is NO dust! Its so much easier to use. I just waxed my rims front and back after taking them off the car tonight. The Zaino is so nice to work with. I only bought one bottle of the pink one, I think its Z2? I will def be buying it again. After 2 car waxes and one wheels wax, I haven't used half of it yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #6
Captain
Rep

From what I read there is a 6 hour waiting period between the application of Z5 and Z2, this seems like a really long time to wait. I've always washed, waxed and drove right away.....doesn't this waiting period really eat in to all of your time??
      10-25-2008, 09:45 PM   #7
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Zaino is easy to use, and provides great results along with excellent protection. I also had not heard of it until this forum, now it would take a miracle to get me away from it. If you have used even close to half of a Z2 after two applications, then you are probably using a little too much. A bottle should last 8 - 10 applications.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 09:58 PM   #8
Captain
Rep

Can someone comment on their order of products (with time for each and wait between)? (1) Long wash/wax vs (2) Normal once a week wash??

Thanks guys!!!

I usually take btw 5-7hrs washing and waxing (clay etc) an M roadster (with Griots) and normal washes are around 2-3hours. I think if I make this any longer my woman will really leave me this time instead of just threatening......
      10-25-2008, 11:07 PM   #9
ben14142001
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I generally do the usual two bucket wash, using Griots car wash, which works well, along with the wheels with Griots wheel cleaner (Going to invest in some P21s as soon as I run out of Griots). I dry with a waffled microfiber towel and get the water out of the cracks and other hard to reach places with a compressed air gun. I've been using Zaino lately to try it out, and it works well. I usually clay parts of the car that need it, which takes an hour or two, I have both Griots and Swissvax clay, the swissvax has been drying out lately though, then I polish/wax. I start with Z-FX infused Z5 and let it dry for 45 minutes, then use Z6 after I buff the Z5 off. Then I usually have enough for another coat of Z5, so I put that on, and wait, then Z6 again. Then I either Z2 it once or twice, or just put Z-CS on if I'm tired of polished/waiting or I don't have any time left. I've found that Zaino tends to last longer than most other waxes I've used and provides pretty good protection from the elements.

-Ben
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 11:37 PM   #10
Matt60158
///M
Rep
Drives:

I have been using Zaino car polish on my current vehicle for about 5 years. The other day a lady at the grocery store asked me if the car was new, and then asked if it was just repainted.

The difference between Zaino and other products?: I never had a desire to try other products after using Zaino.
      10-26-2008, 01:18 AM   #11
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict...Nah Im A Junkie! View Post
Can someone comment on their order of products (with time for each and wait between)? (1) Long wash/wax vs (2) Normal once a week wash??

Thanks guys!!!

I usually take btw 5-7hrs washing and waxing (clay etc) an M roadster (with Griots) and normal washes are around 2-3hours. I think if I make this any longer my woman will really leave me this time instead of just threatening......
A well detailed car will look good regardless of the products you use. A car with Zaino will feel wet for weeks - I've never used another product that I can say that about.

You can go as simple or complex as you feel like. A full detail for my 1 is wash, clay, wash, zAIO, z6, z5, z6, z5, z8, z2, z8, z2, z8, wait 24 hrs, zCS, wait 24 hrs, z8, z8, z8. On the truck its wash, clay, wash, zAIO, z6 and call it a day. Either way, I don't need to detail again for months and water will just sheet off during intermittent washing. You can easily create a 5-7 hr regimine and your wife will never know you arent using wax any more.

Make sure you get zFX and the wait time between cotes will be as little as 30 mins. Skip the zaino car wash and glass cleaner, imo, but pick up the leather in a bottle and tire gloss. :wink:

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 09:05 AM   #12
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Zaino is legit, and i can't imagine any circumstances where its use will require you to respray your car eventually down the road. in fact, its use should have the exact opposite effect - keeping your car's finish like new for a decade.

i have to try it one of these days...i'm waiting to run out of my Klasse products. imo the two systems (Klasse/Zaino) are comparable, and by all accounts both excellent products
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 09:34 AM   #13
N54tt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BLUE on BLACK

i ve been very interested in using the zaino products but i find it soooo dam hard to drop my P21s products that i ve used for years
      10-26-2008, 02:31 PM   #14
Captain
Rep

So now I get the long process wash that involves the wax and all, but what about the once a week wash?? Or are you guys saying that this stuff is so good I will only be washing the 4 times a year a wax???
      10-26-2008, 02:36 PM   #15
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

i wash my car usualluy once a week, ocassionally twice. no point in washing it on a weekday as my work parking lot gets it dusty in one day.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 11:01 PM   #16
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

You would apply ZAINO about four times per year. But you need to wash your car weekly or more often. I actually use SIMONIZ gel carnuba wax car wash three or four times per week, with a microfiber mitt. I hose the wheels almost every day, after applying SIMONIZ wheel cleaner (spray on/hose off). It is much easier to keep an already farily clean car clean.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 06:01 AM   #17
cmd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

This is the first car I've used Zaino on. Previous cars got whatever paste wax I could find at autozone or the like if they were lucky.

This has got to be the easiest stuff in the world to use. It doesn't need heat or anything to breakdown. You just wipe it on and go watch TV or something. Come back in an hour or so and wipe it off.

I was intimidated by the way people spoke of it on the forums. All these big sequences on Znumbers. I am a very, very lazy person and I had no problem getting it on the car. I did need a nap at one point, but there was plenty of time for that between 'layers'.

For what it's worth, I did the initial treatment of ZAIO, 3 coats of polish with Z6 between layers, and topped with ZCS and Z8 in July. I wash weekly, ok, sometimes it's every other week, and about half the time I Z6 after the wash. In those 3 months and 7k miles I haven't noticed any significant change in feel or water beading.

I'm planning on another coat or two of polish and some ZCS next wash, but I don't feel like the car 'needs' it yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #18
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
I've used Zaino for the last 8 years. Prior to that I was using Zymol or Meguiars Professional Detailer stuff.

To me Zaino has been the best in apply/removing and long lasting shine. It can be applied in direct sunlight (Z1/Z2) and doesn't take a whole lot of effort to buff which makes additional coats and additional shine addicting. I also love their quick detailer spray and clay bar.

I am just about to purchase some of their new products soon.
      10-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #19
mrgoochio
135i Coupe Owner!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

Zaino is certainly to be trusted, it is a leading name along with the other products you've mentioned. A lot of people use Zaino because they make a solid product. That doesn't take anything away from other products though. I personally do not use any Zaino products in my line-up which is well into hundreds of dollars in product. There are a ton of good products out there and a lot of them are preference. Preference to the detailer, preference to the client, and preference to the vehicle model/age/condition.
  • P1 Lemon Boston Leather
  • High Gloss Black Trim
  • Comfort Access System
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 12:01 AM   #20
niminuh
Rep
Drives:

Question, I've been using Meguiars for a while now and the only issue that I have had with the product is that the wax seems to wash off after the first few showers or the first car wash, why and does Zaino's product last longer?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 12:50 AM   #21
mrgoochio
135i Coupe Owner!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

You might want to look into a sealant versus a wax, or use both.. sealants are synthetic and will be more durable while some argue waxes look better and like to stay natural.. I can't speak for Zaino first hand, but I think it should hold up longer than the first car wash. Even meguiars should last longer than 1 car wash. Only thing I can think of is if you park your car outside and your climate condition is harsh?
  • P1 Lemon Boston Leather
  • High Gloss Black Trim
  • Comfort Access System
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2008, 01:48 AM   #22
niminuh
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoochio View Post
You might want to look into a sealant versus a wax, or use both.. sealants are synthetic and will be more durable while some argue waxes look better and like to stay natural.. I can't speak for Zaino first hand, but I think it should hold up longer than the first car wash. Even meguiars should last longer than 1 car wash. Only thing I can think of is if you park your car outside and your climate condition is harsh?

Just finished reading: http://www.autogeek.net/qude101.html
So utilizing both sounds like the best bet.
Appreciate 0