06-20-2020, 06:45 PM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdawood View Post
I read a lot of stuff and this was one of the best written pieces and accurate too. Bravo to the writer not just as a 1M owner but as a car nut. Bravo sir.

👏🏼
Appreciate 2
Mdawood121.50
1M Tex240.00
      06-20-2020, 07:21 PM   #3
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdawood View Post
I read a lot of stuff and this was one of the best written pieces and accurate too. Bravo to the writer not just as a 1M owner but as a car nut. Bravo sir.

👏🏼
I'll have to agree!

Certainly one of the best 1M articles I've read.

Bravo 👏
Appreciate 1
1M Tex240.00
      06-22-2020, 02:58 AM   #4
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Good summary of how it all came about. Seemingly all facets of the superior handling are touched upon.

Makes me wonder if this article contains all the ingredients of the drivers-car recipe, why we haven’t seem more iterations? And if the M-team got more freedom to follow their instincts or if even the engineers feel the 1M came out more perfect than targeted?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 11:56 AM   #5
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Good summary of how it all came about. Seemingly all facets of the superior handling are touched upon.

Makes me wonder if this article contains all the ingredients of the drivers-car recipe, why we haven’t seem more iterations? And if the M-team got more freedom to follow their instincts or if even the engineers feel the 1M came out more perfect than targeted?
The enthusiast perspective is so different (e.g. passionate entreaties for manual transmission performance wagon, deprioritization of creature comforts) from that of the corporate bean-counter (SALES and profit margin; no one will buy a wagon).

The 1M came into existence because there was an uncommon confluence of circumstances that lead to a fleeting moment where a performance division said "wouldn't it be totally rad if we could ..." and corporate answered "umm, ok sure, why not?"

One has to wonder if there will ever be a convergence of circumstances leading to another Enchantment Under the Sea car like the 1M ...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 02:33 PM   #6
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post

Makes me wonder if this article contains all the ingredients of the drivers-car recipe, why we haven't seem more iterations? And if the M-team got more freedom to follow their instincts or if even the engineers feel the 1M came out more perfect than targeted?
The enthusiast perspective is so different (e.g. passionate entreaties for manual transmission performance wagon, deprioritization of creature comforts) from that of the corporate bean-counter (SALES and profit margin; no one will buy a wagon).

The 1M came into existence because there was an uncommon confluence of circumstances that lead to a fleeting moment where a performance division said "wouldn't it be totally rad if we could ..." and corporate answered "umm, ok sure, why not?"

One has to wonder if there will ever be a convergence of circumstances leading to another Enchantment Under the Sea car like the 1M ...
I agree it was a bunch of things that lined up. BMW still made non I Drive car dash and offered manual seats without charging extra like on M2. They couldn't do that today. I drive mandatory backup cameras are too so screen is mandatory. Also BMW has decided that the type of person that yearned for the M2 is so small that they will settle for the M2. It's close enough. So no it won't happen again. The 1M was like Woodstock. I feel lucky to be able say I was there when the 1M came out.
Appreciate 2
JP-1M171.00
      06-24-2020, 03:26 AM   #7
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I agree it was a bunch of things that lined up. BMW still made non I Drive car dash and offered manual seats without charging extra like on M2. They couldn't do that today. I drive mandatory backup cameras are too so screen is mandatory. Also BMW has decided that the type of person that yearned for the M2 is so small that they will settle for the M2. It's close enough. So no it won't happen again. The 1M was like Woodstock. I feel lucky to be able say I was there when the 1M came out.
The release of the 1M being the Woodstock of BMW sportscars, i get that analogy in that only after so much time, looking back, you can conclude how exceptional and rare the 1M really was. Fortunately the analogy does not fit completely in that we still get to enjoy it long after its release
Appreciate 4
nachob2312.00
JP-1M171.00
Tornado1M1209.00
      06-25-2020, 07:02 PM   #8
khoa@x-ph.com
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Thanks for sharing!!
Appreciate 1