BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-01-2024, 11:29 AM   #23
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by alFR View Post
Guys, OP is in the UK. In the UK there is no once a year minimum for oil changes, all the cars are on CBS so depending on usage you're looking at anything up to 20000 mile recommended intervals.
Really? That’s surprising. Do you get free-maintenance for the first 3 (was 4) years or 36k miles (was 50k miles)? I’m surprised to hear it’s as high as a 20k mile OCI So OPs car was basically maintained like any other UK BMW? If that’s the case then any used f22 m240i with lower mileage has likely had the same number of oil changes. Either 20k+ mile OCIs are fine with synthetic oil or BMW only cares about getting their cars through the warranty period. I doubt it’s the latter because BMW would develop a reputation and lose a large number of repeat customers.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 12:15 PM   #24
F36 435i M
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
I’m a bit surprised by the dealer not changing the oil at least once per year (applies to any car that didn’t reach a BMW OCI within one year). We have several cars so we never put more than 5-6k miles per year so on our e92 M3s and f82, we’ve always taken advantage of the BMW free-maintenance once/year oil change. Out of warranty we do 8k mile OCI or once per year if we don’t reach 8k miles. We use Red Line motor oils in all of our cars, including the f22 m240ix. The g20 just received its last BMW free once/year oil change. Next oil change, it too will get Red Line motor oil.

Sounds like your b58 is running strong so just enjoy driving and learning its limits without worrying about the past 46k miles. The f22 m240i/m240ix is a blast to drive and eventually you’ll stop worrying about what was/wasn’t done for the first 46k miles!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F36 435i M View Post
That is a good point, I guess there is no way of telling. It wouldn't surprise me if the owner actually worked at BMW, as it's strange how the iDrive didn't pickup the late oil service at 36k miles. It's possible that it was being done, but he didn't bother to add it to the iDrive. Then again, if I worked at BMW and owned the car, surely you would put it into the iDrive so it has a history of oil services.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
No one can say how much damage happened. I'm sure it's not optimal and the only way forward is to do oil changes on time and see what happens . THat said, I would be pissed at the dealer who sold me the car that's for sure.

At least it's not like running the engine with no oil.
Quote:
Guys, OP is in the UK. In the UK there is no once a year minimum for oil changes, all the cars are on CBS so depending on usage you're looking at anything up to 20000 mile recommended intervals.
Bit of an update guys. After diving in deeper to the history. Turns out it was a pre-reg only used as a demo/courtesy car for about 5 months (2k miles drive.

Then covid hit and it was sold to someone but they only did up to 10k miles, max but did get the oil change in this time, and owned it for just under 2 years.

This where the next owner buys it and keeps it for 2 years and does the big jump in miles. I've been trying to track the owner down and I believe I might have done so. If I've been successful, it turns out that he was getting the car serviced at a local garage instead of paying for it at BMW. This might be why, when he did take it into BMW at 27k miles, the oil didn't show as 'late', because he got it done somewhere else. And he just got the brake fluid done. And then at 36k miles he did get a major service at BMW which was oil, spark plugs etc.

I have no confirmation yet, but I'm calling the garage he might of used tomorrow, to see if he did have it serviced there.

Here's to hoping lol.
Appreciate 2
co_440i112.50
      05-01-2024, 12:36 PM   #25
alFR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Quote:
Really? That’s surprising. Do you get free-maintenance for the first 3 (was 4) years or 36k miles (was 50k miles)? I’m surprised to hear it’s as high as a 20k mile OCI So OPs car was basically maintained like any other UK BMW? If that’s the case then any used f22 m240i with lower mileage has likely had the same number of oil changes. Either 20k+ mile OCIs are fine with synthetic oil or BMW only cares about getting their cars through the warranty period. I doubt it’s the latter because BMW would develop a reputation and lose a large number of repeat customers.
lol no free maintenance here. I’ve done just over 3k in my G21 and it’s saying oil change due in 17300 miles. I might do it before that, we’ll see.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 12:47 PM   #26
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
lol no free maintenance here. I’ve done just over 3k in my G21 and it’s saying oil change due in 17300 miles. I might do it before that, we’ll see.
Wow! I wonder why BMW started doing free maintenance in the early 2000s in the US? 17300 miles until next oil change? Damn!! On our g20 and f22, I did an initial oil change after 1500 miles on both and then an additional out-of-pocket oil change if we drove 8k miles/year or the once/year free oil change. My f82 M4 and e92 M3s get their oil changed more frequently because they are tracked.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 12:52 PM   #27
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Bit of an update guys. After diving in deeper to the history. Turns out it was a pre-reg only used as a demo/courtesy car for about 5 months (2k miles drive.

Then covid hit and it was sold to someone but they only did up to 10k miles, max but did get the oil change in this time, and owned it for just under 2 years.

This where the next owner buys it and keeps it for 2 years and does the big jump in miles. I've been trying to track the owner down and I believe I might have done so. If I've been successful, it turns out that he was getting the car serviced at a local garage instead of paying for it at BMW. This might be why, when he did take it into BMW at 27k miles, the oil didn't show as 'late', because he got it done somewhere else. And he just got the brake fluid done. And then at 36k miles he did get a major service at BMW which was oil, spark plugs etc.

I have no confirmation yet, but I'm calling the garage he might of used tomorrow, to see if he did have it serviced there.

Here's to hoping lol.
Are you a private investigator, by chance?

This is definitely good news knowing it’s had more than a few oil changes in its first 46k miles!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 09:28 PM   #28
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

I would bet money the oil changes just weren’t recorded for whatever reason. Car is in perfect health.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 06:19 AM   #29
F36 435i M
Private
Rep

Quote:

This is definitely good news knowing it’s had more than a few oil changes in its first 46k miles!
How did you guess lol?

Contacted the garage today and the car was infact taken to them, but no work was carried out, they were looking to get the brake pads done and some other bits. So they must have gone somewhere else. It was a lady owner, which I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, no sexism here lol!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 07:01 AM   #30
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
How did you guess lol?

Contacted the garage today and the car was infact taken to them, but no work was carried out, they were looking to get the brake pads done and some other bits. So they must have gone somewhere else. It was a lady owner, which I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, no sexism here lol!
My wife is a lady and, after riding with me for almost forty years, her street driving is more aggressive than mine! However, we take great care of our cars and when we sell one all of our friends and family fight over who gets to buy it!! Other than the 4 BMW free oil changes for the first four years, all of our oil changes are done by me or my brother-in-law so our cars show up with only four oil changes. From your descriptions, it sounds like you bought a solid f22 m240i and, based on BMW UK OCIs, your car had at a minimum the correct number of BMW required oil changes plus a few more on top of that. Don’t let the one long OCI ruin the enjoyment that you should be getting from the car!
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2024, 07:06 AM   #31
F36 435i M
Private
Rep

Quote:
My wife is a lady and, after riding with me for almost forty years, her street driving is more aggressive than mine! However, we take great care of our cars and when we sell one all of our friends and family fight over who gets to buy it!! Other than the 4 BMW free oil changes for the first four years, all of our oil changes are done by me or my brother-in-law so our cars show up with only four oil changes. From your descriptions, it sounds like you bought a solid f22 m240i and, based on BMW UK OCIs, your car had at a minimum the correct number of BMW required oil changes plus a few more on top of that. Don’t let the one long OCI ruin the enjoyment that you should be getting from the car!
Great point! Did you say you had a custom exhaust setup on your B58? Would be interested to know your setup. I'm looking at getting a back box mod, OPF and res delete. I had a similar setup on my last N55 435i, and it sounded unreal. And to be honest, didn't sound any worse than any custom system I've heard, at half the price. It also kept the valve so I could keep in quiet when the cops were around haha.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 07:13 AM   #32
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Great point! Did you say you had a custom exhaust setup on your B58? Would be interested to know your setup. I'm looking at getting a back box mod, OPF and res delete. I had a similar setup on my last N55 435i, and it sounded unreal. And to be honest, didn't sound any worse than any custom system I've heard, at half the price. It also kept the valve so I could keep in quiet when the cops were around haha.
It has a MCS two-way remote reservoir suspension but stock exhaust. I was planning on installing an exhaust on the car but I’ve been dealing with medical issues for the past four years. Also, she’s fine with the m240ix exhaust sound and, if she wants to drive something loud, she can drive her e92 M3 with full akra evo exhaust and a CF intake plenum
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 05:38 PM   #33
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
How did you guess lol?

It’s amazing what you can find out with just a little digging! I probably ought to be a private investigator. I was an intelligence analyst in the Army for four years. It would probably scare you to know what I can find out about a person with just a few clues.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

05-02-2024, 05:43 PM   #34
MADBMWX5MC
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Do you have a chance to do one of these: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/test...dard-analysis/
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 05:49 PM   #35
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
It’s amazing what you can find out with just a little digging! I probably ought to be a private investigator. I was an intelligence analyst in the Army for four years. It would probably scare you to know what I can find out about a person with just a few clues.
Absolutely. There’s so much personal information on the internet now especially with the advent of social media. I still don’t understand why individual home purchase data are readily available online.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2024, 06:45 AM   #36
MADBMWX5MC
Major
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely. There’s so much personal information on the internet now especially with the advent of social media. I still don’t understand why individual home purchase data are readily available online.
Hate to sidetrack the post topic, but that's so true, basically everything about my home purchase is online. Scary crap.

Last edited by MADBMWX5MC; 05-03-2024 at 06:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2024, 06:52 AM   #37
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADBMWX5MC View Post
That's so true, basically everything about my home purchase is online. Scary crap.
I remember searching for our home address in 2001 and the results I got made me say WTF!! I can understand home prices are publicly available data but everything else should not be publicly available. I think there are a few states that limit the amount and type of information that can be released. I’m definitely not in one of those states!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 06:55 AM   #38
MADBMWX5MC
Major
Rep

Loudoun County in Northern Virgina is very open when it comes to this type stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 07:29 AM   #39
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Just make your own mind up when your motor needs an oil change, in any case up to 8k maximum since last change whatever i-drive is saying or not saying.
Low mileage cars for instance can go 2 years up to 8k or thereabouts and I prefer a service book also where I can keep tabs easily.
OP may or may not be in trouble later and should just change out oil every year or 8k whichever comes first obviously using the best oil available.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 10:48 AM   #40
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Just make your own mind up when your motor needs an oil change, in any case up to 8k maximum since last change whatever i-drive is saying or not saying.
Low mileage cars for instance can go 2 years up to 8k or thereabouts and I prefer a service book also where I can keep tabs easily.
OP may or may not be in trouble later and should just change out oil every year or 8k whichever comes first obviously using the best oil available.
I do the exact same OCI. Either every 8k miles or once per year whichever comes first. Exception is when I track my cars then I change the oil after two events (max of six days). I exclusively use Red Line oils in our e92 M3s, f82, f22, r56 and now g20 (recently received its last free oil change). 8k mile oil analysis shows it’s lost none of its protective properties and no contaminants so I’m thinking about extending to 10k miles; however, that mileage increase won’t really change anything because we usually hit the once/year long before reaching 8k miles (too many cars that we love to drive so yearly mileage is spread over all of our cars).
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 10:50 AM   #41
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADBMWX5MC View Post
Loudoun County in Northern Virgina is very open when it comes to this type stuff.
I’m in Montgomery County and it’s the same here.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2024, 11:00 AM   #42
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Service intervals and maintenance packages all depend on the country the car is meant for. It's in the VIN readout.

BMW has got different maintenance intervals for regions or countries, worldwide.

The standard EU-wide engine oil service interval is 2 years or 30,000 kilometres for all engines except the B47, IIRC. M break-in period is at 2,000 km.

Of course, if you beat the shit out of it, the CBS will adjust, but that's really worst case scenario.

Your service intervals in the USA or CAN are very different and shorter. Extremely hot or cold climates, too.
      05-03-2024, 11:50 AM   #43
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Service intervals and maintenance packages all depend on the country the car is meant for. It's in the VIN readout.

BMW has got different maintenance intervals for regions or countries, worldwide.

The standard EU-wide engine oil service interval is 2 years or 30,000 kilometres for all engines except the B47, IIRC. M break-in period is at 2,000 km.

Of course, if you beat the shit out of it, the CBS will adjust, but that's really worst case scenario.

Your service intervals in the USA or CAN are very different and shorter. Extremely hot or cold climates, too.
If they were worried about different climate extremes then you’d think they’d recommend different oil viscosity but it’s the same everywhere. S65 gets 10W60 regardless of the climates it sees.

I’m surprised the EU interval is 2 years or 12.4k miles whichever comes first. I’d be concerned about two year old oil in a car likely not driven long enough to burn off the moisture absorbed by the oil. I always think about my 8k mile or once/year OCI and whether I should use every 4k miles or twice/year OCI.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2024, 11:56 AM   #44
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
One other little tidbit about oil changes and oil life. More than 20 years ago Consumer Reports did a huge study of traditional dino oil in NYC taxi cabs. They wanted to see if 3,000 mile oil changes were truly necessary. Half of the cabs got 3,000 mile oil changes and the other half got 6,000 mile changes. They tore down the motors before the test began and took detailed measurements. I can’t remember how many miles they drove the cabs, but it was substantial. After the test they tore down the motors again and took measurements. They found no measurable difference in wear between the cars that got 3,000 mile changes and those that got 6,000 mile changes.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!