BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
pablom2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Which Bilstein option and springs if I don't want to lower the car

Hi,

I have a BMW 135i E82 2008 and want to upgrade my suspension for better control and a more planted ride, but don't want to lose comfort. My car is completely stock with M-sport factory suspension without runflats and I want to know which is my best option if I don't want to lower the car, or lower it the least possible since the roads where I live are really bad with big speed bumps, uneven surfaces and potholes.

1. Is my best option to keep the stock springs and go with Bilstein B6? Will I notice an improvement in handling even if I keep the stock springs? Is this my best option if I don't want to lower the car and keep some comfort? Will this be enough to reduce the soft unbalanced floaty feeling of the stock suspension?

2. I was also considering for example changing the stock M-sport springs to the BMW Performance Springs (yellow), in this case do I have to go with Bilstein B6 or B8? Will I notice an improvement in handling changing the stock m-sport springs with the bmw performance springs or is this change not necessary? Or which springs would you suggest to improve handling but not lower the car?

3. I was considering also the B12 option with the included Eibach springs but I think the lowering will be too much for my roads.

This is the first time I'm considering doing suspension changes on my car and I don't want to mess it up, specially since I have pretty bad roads where I live but I'm getting tired of the floaty stock suspension when I push the car in turns. I used to have a MINI COOPER S R53 2002 which was very stiff and eventually it got too uncomfortable so I want a good compromise of better control but still some comfort and practicality. This is my daily driver for the street and I won't track it.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
Bilstein B6 Performance dampers are designed to be used with factory springs, but all US-Spec 135i's came with M-Sport suspension so they would be the wrong choice. I'm not sure what original equipment was for the rest of the world.

Bilstein B8 Performance Plus dampers are designed to be used with lowering springs, like the factory M-Sport suspension springs.

As far as the springs go, you'll want to pair the BMW Performance coils with Bilstein B8 dampers.

The Bilstein / Eibach B12 kit is a good option. I've run it on a few other BMWs and was quite happy with the ride quality and performance. That kit uses Eibach Pro-Kit springs with Bilstein B8 Performance Plus Dampers.

A few other things to consider are the M3 arms and bushings along with front camber plates.

2012 BMW 135i Space Grey Metallic M-Sport DCT Dinan S2
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 08:52 PM   #3
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
If you talk to Bilstein they will tell you that the B6's are what they recommend for both stock and Sport Pak. springs, including the yellow Performance springs. Anything beyond that you should go with the B8's. I'm using the B6's with stock Sport Pak. springs and non runflat tires and they work great. This is probably all you need to do to improve your ride without wasting money. Firm ride but not harsh.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 11:07 AM   #4
pablom2c
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for your replies. Doing my research and reading many posts there is conflicting information regarding if B6 or B8 is the correct choice with the factory m-sport springs. I wrote to Bilstein and they said B8 is the correct choice:

Quote:
Hello Diego,

Thank you for the email and the interest in our products.

Please note, that your vehicle produced with the sport suspension and we´re listing for your vehicle with sport suspension the BILSTEIN B8 shocks and the BILSTEIN B14 PSS & BILSTEIN B16 PSS10 coilover.

We´re recommend for the best of combination from comfort to sport to install the BILSTEIN B8 shock absorbers with the OE sport springs, because the BILSTEIN B8 shocks are producing from comfort to sport with a big setup.

The BILSTEIN B16 PSS10 coilover is a performance suspension with little loss in the comfort.

This suspension lowering your vehicle from 15-35mm and it´s possible to change in 10 steps for yourself the damping setup.

I think I will probably keep the stock m-sport springs and go with Bilstein B8.

Do you think I will still notice a good improvement in handling with a better planted ride and less of the stock floaty feeling if I don't change the stock springs? I just don't want to regret later not changing the springs, but the BMW Performance springs are too expensive and the Eibachs I think will lower the car too much. I also don't want to end up with a very stiff ride with the bad roads we have locally.

Thanks for your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #5
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieguitov View Post
Thanks for your replies. Doing my research and reading many posts there is conflicting information regarding if B6 or B8 is the correct choice with the factory m-sport springs. I wrote to Bilstein and they said B8 is the correct choice:

Do you think I will still notice a good improvement in handling with a better planted ride and less of the stock floaty feeling if I don't change the stock springs? I just don't want to regret later not changing the springs, but the BMW Performance springs are too expensive and the Eibachs I think will lower the car too much. I also don't want to end up with a very stiff ride with the bad roads we have locally.

The Bilsteins will be much better as far as body control (meaning controlling the floatiness as you mention). This should be a reasonable setup for the street. Some words of advice when you do the installation if you proceed: Replace all the rubber components like spring pads, and shock mounts. They are cheap and are meant to be replaced.

You should also consider upgrading your rear subframe bushings to M3 or aftermarket material, this contributes to the "loose" feeling of the back end. Lots of information on this in the forums....
Appreciate 1
tock172581.50
      09-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #6
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
Quote:

Diego, the information presented to you by Bilstein is consistent with the premise I've been operating under myself relating to B8 dampers being the correct choice for a 135i M-Sport spring.

I have run Bilstein sport dampers (what the B8 Performance Plus used to be called) on various BMWs of mine, both with lowering springs and the factory springs. After running them paired with Eibach Pro Kit springs and sways on my E46 330i, I ran the dampers paired with the factory springs on my E36 M3 and it still felt great. The difference was absolutely worth it with just the dampers alone.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 10:11 AM   #7
pablom2c
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for your reply, I have decided to go with Bilstein B8 and stock springs. What other parts should I buy to replace as maintenance like Asbrr mentioned before? Even though my car is 2008 it only has 30,000 miles but if parts are cheap I wouldn't mind to replace them if they are needed. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 04:11 PM   #8
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for your reply, I have decided to go with Bilstein B8 and stock springs. What other parts should I buy to replace as maintenance like Asbrr mentioned before? Even though my car is 2008 it only has 30,000 miles but if parts are cheap I wouldn't mind to replace them if they are needed. Thank you.
asbrr Hit the nail on the head. Your mileage is pretty low, so aside from the common, inexpensive wear parts previously mentioned, give the other more expensive bushings a visual inspection and go from there. Spring pads, rear shock mounts, front strut mounts (bearings), hardware, etc should be replaced. Some websites put together kits with everything included in one shot.

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 11:01 AM   #9
pablom2c
Private First Class
Rep

Turner has the following install kit is this enough or is it missing something important?

Included in the E82 1-series Mount Kit:
front upper strut mounts (also known as a guide support), 31306775098
A. rear upper-top shock mounts, 33506771737
B. rear upper-middle shock mounts, 33506767010
C. rear upper-bottom shock mounts, 33506771738
D. rear upper supporting cup, 33526764418 (sits over bumpstop)
rear lower shock mount (installs on spring arm), 33526768544

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...e82-128i-135i/

From what you guys mentioned before I don't see the spring pads, or do they have a different name which is included in the kit? Sorry I have no mechanical knowledge, even less with suspension components. Thanks again.

The bushings should be fine for now due to my low milage I think, but I will make the shop check them when installing in case I will need to change them in the future. The rear subframe bushings I will leave for the future, I prefer to make one change at a time and evaluate the difference. I have also seen the M3 control arms suggested a lot.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 12:20 PM   #10
lowbudgethero
Captain
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Hi,

I have a BMW 135i E82 2008 and want to upgrade my suspension for better control and a more planted ride, but don't want to lose comfort. My car is completely stock with M-sport factory suspension without runflats and I want to know which is my best option if I don't want to lower the car, or lower it the least possible since the roads where I live are really bad with big speed bumps, uneven surfaces and potholes.

1. Is my best option to keep the stock springs and go with Bilstein B6? Will I notice an improvement in handling even if I keep the stock springs? Is this my best option if I don't want to lower the car and keep some comfort? Will this be enough to reduce the soft unbalanced floaty feeling of the stock suspension?

2. I was also considering for example changing the stock M-sport springs to the BMW Performance Springs (yellow), in this case do I have to go with Bilstein B6 or B8? Will I notice an improvement in handling changing the stock m-sport springs with the bmw performance springs or is this change not necessary? Or which springs would you suggest to improve handling but not lower the car?

3. I was considering also the B12 option with the included Eibach springs but I think the lowering will be too much for my roads.

This is the first time I'm considering doing suspension changes on my car and I don't want to mess it up, specially since I have pretty bad roads where I live but I'm getting tired of the floaty stock suspension when I push the car in turns. I used to have a MINI COOPER S R53 2002 which was very stiff and eventually it got too uncomfortable so I want a good compromise of better control but still some comfort and practicality. This is my daily driver for the street and I won't track it.

Thanks!
FWIW: BMW performance or Dinan springs (e92 are the only ones available right now iirc and do not add any drop to an e82) are the way to go if you have terrible roads, speedbumps, and driveways you need to climb. The springs are pretty soft from the factory, and it's almost the same amount of labor to change springs as it is to change shocks.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 06:30 PM   #11
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
Quote:
Turner has the following install kit is this enough or is it missing something important?

Included in the E82 1-series Mount Kit:
front upper strut mounts (also known as a guide support), 31306775098
A. rear upper-top shock mounts, 33506771737
B. rear upper-middle shock mounts, 33506767010
C. rear upper-bottom shock mounts, 33506771738
D. rear upper supporting cup, 33526764418 (sits over bumpstop)
rear lower shock mount (installs on spring arm), 33526768544

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...e82-128i-135i/

From what you guys mentioned before I don't see the spring pads, or do they have a different name which is included in the kit? Sorry I have no mechanical knowledge, even less with suspension components. Thanks again.

The bushings should be fine for now due to my low milage I think, but I will make the shop check them when installing in case I will need to change them in the future. The rear subframe bushings I will leave for the future, I prefer to make one change at a time and evaluate the difference. I have also seen the M3 control arms suggested a lot.
Good move on evaluating things one at a time. A lot of idiots dive into buying a ton of stuff for their cars that they actually don't need.

The two pages that this link takes you to should show everything you need:

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-13...nsion/Springs/

Appreciate 1
AustinE19.50
      11-21-2017, 05:24 PM   #12
pablom2c
Private First Class
Rep

Thumbs up

I want to make an update for you guys, around 2 weeks ago I got new OZ ULTRALEGGERA wheels front 8X18 ET34 and rears 9X18 ET40 on NON-Runflat Continental ContactSport 5 front 225 40 18 and rears 255 35 18.

Being very light wheels and wider with a more aggressive offset really helped with the handling of the car, there was less understeer, even the steering wheel became a little lighter, and the car felt a little more agile in acceleration and steering. It also made the stock m-sport suspension work better over bumps, as if it had to make less effort. Very nice improvement and they also look fantastic, I used to have OZ Superturismo in my MINI COOPER S R53 and when I bought them I didn't notice such an improvement. I guess the Ultraleggeras really are light.

Finally today I have installed the Bilstein B8s with the stock m-sport springs, keep in mind this is my first impressions only since I just went for one ride in a very twisty road to test it. Understeer seems greatly reduced and it appears to turn in a little better, also the wobbly back and airy lifting feeling of the front seems gone. The car is much more controlled and planted changing directions and over hills, it's not so nervous anymore and doesn't lean as much as before, it gives you much more confidence without the floaty uncontrolled feeling. Also when going fast over slopes the car doesn't bottom out it's perfectly stable and compliant, no nervousness or unstable wobbly rebound. What surprised me most is that the ride and comfort is practically the same or even better than the stock suspension, just cruising in town you wouldn't notice a difference really. I thought the car would feel more firm or crashy and uncomfortable over rough roads, but it is the complete opposite. No immediate drawbacks really, the height appears to be the same also which is what I wanted (no drop). Very recommended! Now I'm thinking to start with an MHD stage 1 tune

Last edited by pablom2c; 11-22-2017 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 2
Fakemike368.50
tock172581.50
      11-21-2017, 05:40 PM   #13
pablom2c
Private First Class
Rep

Attaching some pics for reference.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
tock172581.50
      11-22-2017, 09:20 AM   #14
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Car looks great! Good work, and glad you are enjoying the setup. If you want to go one more step to more predictable handling, upgrade the rear subframe bushings to M3 or 2 piece bushings (like Whiteline etc). It will make the rear even more planted/predictable.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #15
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 and 2016 F85

Newb question here. I have some issues with very soft suspension, it is so soft that when I hit dips in the road my fronts rub. I did put a different offset on (now 34 instead of 47) but was assured that they wouldn't rub. I've not yet been able to determine if it's the fender lips that are rubbing or the well liner. Anyway, I don't like the feel of the suspension. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that "all 135i's came with M sport suspension". How could I tell by looking at mine ?
Also, assuming I have it, can I firm up the suspension so that it doesn't dip so hard that it rubs ?
Another question I have is, are there lowering kits I can use that will lower the car but also stiffen the suspension so that by lowering the car I don't make the rubbing worse ?

I'm not looking to spend a huge amount, just looking to first fix the rubbing then look at maybe lowering it later - just wanted to get the information now if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 06:07 PM   #16
oneBIGtoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Mandinca, do a check on your VIN# for which options you have on your car, which includes the suspension (should be option# 704 MSport Suspension within the list that comes up) Good idea to print this off or just save for future reference.
As for your question about lowering kits and stiffer suspension - YES. Spend the time reading the many posts regarding suspensions, it will help guide you to a set-up suitable for your specific wants/needs.

A good place to start is below link. It can get overwhelming and some YouTube videos can ease the learning curve. Or just ask someone reputable what to put on the car, which is much easier. I just like to educate myself on what I am getting/deciding on.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1233372
      08-20-2018, 10:43 PM   #17
FosterFarmer
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i, 2008 135i (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
FWIW: BMW performance or Dinan springs (e92 are the only ones available right now iirc and do not add any drop to an e82) are the way to go if you have terrible roads, speedbumps, and driveways you need to climb. The springs are pretty soft from the factory, and it's almost the same amount of labor to change springs as it is to change shocks.
So e92 Dinan springs will fit our e82?
Is it this model? https://www.dinancars.com/product/d1...?series=&mid=/
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 08:39 PM   #18
FLATBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFarmer View Post
So e92 Dinan springs will fit our e82?
Is it this model? https://www.dinancars.com/product/d1...?series=&mid=/
Yes! I installed them on my car and the drop is very minimal.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 11:11 AM   #19
FosterFarmer
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i, 2008 135i (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATBMW View Post
Yes! I installed them on my car and the drop is very minimal.
Awesome. What shocks did you go with? And did you add dinan camber plates? I don't want a lot of drop but I also don't want it to be higher in the front...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 03:08 PM   #20
FLATBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFarmer View Post
Awesome. What shocks did you go with? And did you add dinan camber plates? I don't want a lot of drop but I also don't want it to be higher in the front...
I haven't change my shocks yet, but the Koni Yellow and the adjustable Dinan version in the rear would be my first choice as they allow the adjustment at the top without removing the strut. I haven't gotten camber plates but I hear the Dinan plates do make the front higher, it varies. You could compensate the increased height by getting a set of lowering spring perches. If you have money to spend the SPC camber kit, Vorshlag and Ground Control Street Camber Plates are my first choice because they replace the OE top-hat and bearings etc. I think they also might lower the car slightly. It really depends on how aggressive you want to get and how adjustable.

Appreciate 0