BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #89
nlpamg
MBWorld Spy
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, F8 Tributo, GR Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
You seem pretty sure. Everything looks as if they're really trying to keep the price in check.
I am pretty sure. I knocked the roof at least 20 times trying to get the feel/sound as CF. It's not CF. Others were there as well and they did the same and also came to the same conclusion.

They're definitely trying to keep the price in check. If you watch the video with Seigler, he says it's aimed at people who dream of an M car but can't afford an M3.

So, that would lead one to interpret that they won't be putting options that would make it overly expensive or reworking things like adding CF roof on that car. Keep in mind that this car has to come in below the M3's base price of $55k. Also, since it's a limited run and the current 1-series is done, it wouldn't make any sense to invest that much into it.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #90
linuxguy
Rep
Drives: VW GTI

Their price point should be 45k - 55k, if not:

1) M3 is still in the 60k-70k
2) Porsche 911 - 60K-70K
3) Nissan GTR 70-80K
4) Audi R8 after that

If they miss the market value, they will lose potential customers. Besides getting 135i and spending 15K on mods, would get you 1M+.

Another problem is time delay they are putting into 1M launch, and then 2700 units for the test run. By the time they get into second year of the production, I am sure they will have competitors from other manufacturers in the 1 series market. If they want 1M to be a success, it will have to be more than 135i, but less than M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #91
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
What you are looking at just now is what's known as a "Test run" it is a project that has been put together in the shortest time available and as a project it has limits and a strict budget.

To actually get board approval for this car , The project team had to do a lot of arm twisting especially this late in the day, had the original idea of an E82 M happened much sooner then we would not be so limited in scope and execution.

But this car, the E82 is seen as the test run for the next generation model that BMW have commenced working on especially in preliminary planning with the engine and the package that the F22 will inherit.

The F22 has the time and it has a much bigger budget for expression of freedom in relation to develop what they should offer with the E82 in which they couldn't.

From a marketing view the car itself has a limited budget so that is why it is more discussion and debate with enthusiasts that are driving the 1er M Coupe.

The issue of limited production involves the reaction to the car. Over at M-Power.de we have over 10,000 pieces of interest , when the specifications come out we estimate we will lose maybe 25-30% of interest due to the deletion of a Double-Clutch-Transmission and possibly limited production and Price.

As of now it is limited but it will be watched closely especially in relation to demand , right now the greatest amount of interest is Germany , followed by the USA and China.

With the move to a four cylinder for the F22 1M Coupe. The Future 1M and

M3 can be seperated a lot more individually between four and six cylinders which is what the intention is.

As of now some say power output is too close not to want one but the other.

There are other elements , however which is a different story.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #92
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
It just sucks that if indeed it is a really good car (mainly because of the n54), it WILL be a collectable. Then the majority of us will only get the option of owning the F20. Who knows though. I won't play if there's a premium on this.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #93
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlpamg View Post
I am pretty sure. I knocked the roof at least 20 times trying to get the feel/sound as CF. It's not CF. Others were there as well and they did the same and also came to the same conclusion.

They're definitely trying to keep the price in check. If you watch the video with Seigler, he says it's aimed at people who dream of an M car but can't afford an M3.

So, that would lead one to interpret that they won't be putting options that would make it overly expensive or reworking things like adding CF roof on that car. Keep in mind that this car has to come in below the M3's base price of $55k. Also, since it's a limited run and the current 1-series is done, it wouldn't make any sense to invest that much into it.
With BMWs strategy of keeping costs down, and with this limited number of cars produced, I wonder if they are going to build the car with a very limited range of options, perhaps even none.

It may well be that the only options will be exterior color. Things like comfort access, Navigation, upgraded music options, Ipod integration, wheel options, active steering, blue tooth integration, park distance control, etc may not even be optional.

I have a feeling that if you want a car, your choice of options will be 3, Valencia Orange, Alpine White, or Black.
      09-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #94
M2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Why is everyone so surprised? We've been hearing this for several months. Of course its going to be a limited edition car. I'm glad somebody brought up the 5,000 units of the E30 BMW moved in 5 years.

FWIW, BMWUSA sells on average about 800 1 series cars a month. Thats it. Its not clear what percentages are 128i, 135i, or the verts. I'm sure their 1M allocations will be fine.

The color and tranny limitations will help keep the posers away. To be honest, if a person passes on the 1M b/c a lack of color choices, I'M GLAD THEY'RE NOT BUYING.
Really, you mean if I like LeMans Blue I'm "a poser" and that will keep me away from buying a 1M? I think people are commenting about the exterior colors because when they want to buy their dream car, they also would like to get the color that appeals to them. But I don't think it would stop an enthusiast from buying one. And how is driving a DCT being a poser. It's like saying, "if you pick your nose manually you are a true nose picker but if you blow you nose into a napkin you are a poser". Glad to know you like picking your nose manually.
      09-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #95
M3_Dust
Michelin Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M Sport

the poster known as "Scott26" should be banned for all of the bullshit they have spewed about this car over the last year and a half, if nothing else, these recent developments along with the partial unveiling have proven him/her/them to be completely non-credible.

Regarding the car, I've personally lost all interest, I already have a blue 1 series with an N54, I'll keep it a little while longer and will be moving on to an E92 M3 ZCP in LeMans blue, real M cars have real M engines.

Unless something drastically changes with the official unveiling, 1 series M coupé = epic fail
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #96
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Dust View Post
the poster known as "Scott26" should be banned for all of the bullshit they have spewed about this car over the last year and a half, if nothing else, these recent developments along with the partial unveiling have proven him/her/them to be completely non-credible.

Regarding the car, I've personally lost all interest, I already have a blue 1 series with an N54, I'll keep it a little while longer and will be moving on to an E92 M3 ZCP in LeMans blue, real M cars have real M engines.

Unless something drastically changes with the official unveiling, 1 series M coupé = epic fail
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #97
M3X3Z3
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d G01

This whole 1M thing is going bad, and it is going bad right now.

No CF Roof
No DCT
No Cabrio

I am concerned that the predicted weight loss and the power increase will be minimal .
In effect we will land up with a limited production, overpriced, wide bodied 135is with
M3 suspension.

So much for the glory of the 1M !
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #98
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Thanks for the update.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #99
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

I'm hoping that a cf roof is at least an option that can be added when ordering.
      09-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #100
OneSweetRide
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 X5d 13AH3

US Numbers and Info

The US will only get 500 total Units and production starts in March 2011 and will go till about August 2011. This will be a very hard car to get so I suggest talking to your local dealer and leaving a deposit now. The 1M will also have an over boost button like the 335is. That's all I'm gonna give up for now.
      09-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #101
Cameraeye
Ghetto Blasta
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cement Truck

and dont forget the rocket launchers haha
      09-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #102
Future M1 owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: No BMW atm

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomquickness View Post
I'm hoping that a cf roof is at least an option that can be added when ordering.
Yeah.
Like DCT.
Like a few different colors.
Like the personalisation program.
Like a bit more power than an existing N54 "eye-ess". And 15hp is not "a bit more" IMO, BTW.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #103
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSweetRide View Post
The US will only get 500 total Units and production starts in March 2011 and will go till about August 2011. This will be a very hard car to get so I suggest talking to your local dealer and leaving a deposit now. The 1M will also have an over boost button like the 335is. That's all I'm gonna give up for now.
Yeah OK, WTF are you? A total of 4 posts and talking like CEO of BMW. "thats all Im gonna give up for now"
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #104
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
      09-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #105
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 View Post
Really, you mean if I like LeMans Blue I'm "a poser" and that will keep me away from buying a 1M? I think people are commenting about the exterior colors because when they want to buy their dream car, they also would like to get the color that appeals to them. But I don't think it would stop an enthusiast from buying one. And how is driving a DCT being a poser. It's like saying, "if you pick your nose manually you are a true nose picker but if you blow you nose into a napkin you are a poser". Glad to know you like picking your nose manually.
Funny you say that. I would have chosen Le Mans blue over all of the 3 colors likely offered. IMO, it shouldn't be a dealbreaker. Plenty of cars can look great in white or black. In terms of the DCT, I dont have a problem with it. Personally, I prefer manual. If BMW said they were only going to offer it DCT, I would still buy a 1M. Why? Because I can drive both. I've been championing an M version of the 1 series for almost four years now. Actually, I was asking SCOTT26 about it over at GCZ BEFORE the 135i ever even hit our shores. He was talking about the release of a 1 coupe and M version of it simultaneously. I was in love @ GO. The biggest thing to ruin this car for me would be how it drives. Would I prefer them giving us a CF roof? Hell yea. Its not happening at 45k. Would I prefer an M bespoke engine. Hell yea, not happening at 45k and over a small production time. All of these extra things most are complaining about not having is NOT HAPPENING at the price point BMW has set. Why? Because it will propel this car into M3 price category and make it look quite ridiculous. So, in conclusion, I'm not saying those that want more colors and a DCT is necessarily a poser. Life is about compromise and having realistic expectations.

I guess I'm scarred mentally from the "plastic" woman that walked into a local BMW dealership and bought an M6 for herself. She literally made a scene when her husband pointed out the regular 6er. She insisted on having it b/c it was the most expensive BMW. She probably would not have bought it if it only came in a 6MT and had three color options.
      09-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #106
M2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Funny you say that. I would have chosen Le Mans blue over all of the 3 colors likely offered. IMO, it shouldn't be a dealbreaker. Plenty of cars can look great in white or black. In terms of the DCT, I dont have a problem with it. Personally, I prefer manual. If BMW said they were only going to offer it DCT, I would still buy a 1M. Why? Because I can drive both. I've been championing an M version of the 1 series for almost four years now. Actually, I was asking SCOTT26 about it over at GCZ BEFORE the 135i ever even hit our shores. He was talking about the release of a 1 coupe and M version of it simultaneously. I was in love @ GO. The biggest thing to ruin this car for me would be how it drives. Would I prefer them giving us a CF roof? Hell yea. Its not happening at 45k. Would I prefer an M bespoke engine. Hell yea, not happening at 45k and over a small production time. All of these extra things most are complaining about not having is NOT HAPPENING at the price point BMW has set. Why? Because it will propel this car into M3 price category and make it look quite ridiculous. So, in conclusion, I'm not saying those that want more colors and a DCT is necessarily a poser. Life is about compromise and having realistic expectations.

I guess I'm scarred mentally from the "plastic" woman that walked into a local BMW dealership and bought an M6 for herself. She literally made a scene when her husband pointed out the regular 6er. She insisted on having it b/c it was the most expensive BMW. She probably would not have bought it if it only came in a 6MT and had three color options.

I understand your reasoning and agree... sorry for being so reactive, I guess I'm mad because I really want BMW to correctly establish this first iteration of 1M's. Personally I would get a manual in white, if that's the only colors they are coming in.(yes I am a "real enthusiast nose picker") I just feel the 1M is getting short listed on the exterior color choices. I don't care much about interior options since it is a drivers car and therefore should only come with the basics, including manual sport seats. I love my current 135 and I was getting really excited about the 1M until I heard that there are only going to be 2700 worldwide. Now it looks like it's going to be out of my reach with the onset of wait-lists, ebay spot selling, price hikes, etc. I'm disappointed at Segler for touting the car as being an attainable M car. At Oktoberfest the audience was filled with, what looked like, deep pocket baby boomers who most likely will get one and add it to their corral of cars. With limited numbers, the 1M will most likely be sitting in someones 7 car garage, just collecting dust until they decide to sell it at a collectors auction. That's my fear. By creating this media frenzy about the 1M BMW was able to get people excited about a new M model, but to turn around and now indirectly say, oh by the way, you many not be able to get one...That just burns me up. Yeah, sure CPO M3's will be attainable by July next year but I wanted smaller, lighter, toss-able M car, something BMW used to make. The 1M was going to be that for me. Anyhow, I hope my fears turn out to be unjustified but until then, I'll just keep enjoying my 135i.
      09-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #107
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 View Post
I understand your reasoning and agree... sorry for being so reactive, I guess I'm mad because I really want BMW to correctly establish this first iteration of 1M's. Personally I would get a manual in white, if that's the only colors they are coming in.(yes I am a "real enthusiast nose picker") I just feel the 1M is getting short listed on the exterior color choices. I don't care much about interior options since it is a drivers car and therefore should only come with the basics, including manual sport seats. I love my current 135 and I was getting really excited about the 1M until I heard that there are only going to be 2700 worldwide. Now it looks like it's going to be out of my reach with the onset of wait-lists, ebay spot selling, price hikes, etc. I'm disappointed at Segler for touting the car as being an attainable M car. At Oktoberfest the audience was filled with, what looked like, deep pocket baby boomers who most likely will get one and add it to their corral of cars. With limited numbers, the 1M will most likely be sitting in someones 7 car garage, just collecting dust until they decide to sell it at a collectors auction. That's my fear. By creating this media frenzy about the 1M BMW was able to get people excited about a new M model, but to turn around and now indirectly say, oh by the way, you many not be able to get one...That just burns me up. Yeah, sure CPO M3's will be attainable by July next year but I wanted smaller, lighter, toss-able M car, something BMW used to make. The 1M was going to be that for me. Anyhow, I hope my fears turn out to be unjustified but until then, I'll just keep enjoying my 135i.
I completely get where you're coming from. Something is not adding up in terms of them saying its attainable and only offering them in super minute numbers. We'll have to wait and see. Hopefully they would change their mind and boost the production if they see the need to. Maybe they fear that most of our fingers on the keyboard are typing things our wallets can't cash. We'll know soon enough.
      09-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #108
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Personally, I too am dissapointed at the lack of exterior colors being offered. I don't really care for any of the three colors being offered, so this may stop me from buying one. I'm fine with the limited production run, and the car only having a manual, but the color thing may be a deal breaker.

Come on BMW, give us at least one blue color, like montego, estoril, or le mans!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #109
M2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I completely get where you're coming from. Something is not adding up in terms of them saying its attainable and only offering them in super minute numbers. We'll have to wait and see. Hopefully they would change their mind and boost the production if they see the need to. Maybe they fear that most of our fingers on the keyboard are typing things our wallets can't cash. We'll know soon enough.
As long as the 1M base price doesn't get too close to the M3 base, I don't see people shying away from the cost factor. My current 135i has cost me 43K + 2K Dinan Flash + about 5K for upgrading the whole suspension, equaling about 50K. I am willing to commit to buying an 1M if the base price stays under 47K. The only thing I am worried about is power to weight ratio on the 1M. That would be a big factor for me to give up my current car. My current car is 9.7 (based on curb weight of 3329 and the RWHP at 342)

The current e92 M3 power to weight ratio is 11.5 (based on the curb weight of 4145 and the RWHP at 359)

Last edited by M2; 09-12-2010 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #110
OneSweetRide
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 X5d 13AH3

Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Yeah OK, WTF are you? A total of 4 posts and talking like CEO of BMW. "thats all Im gonna give up for now"
really? Yes I happen to work for BMW and you don't have to be such a jack ass. There are people like myself that do have correct info on the vehicle. I have no reason to give bad info and I don't talk out my ass like many people do on forums. Just trying to be helpful. Just cause one does not post all the time does not mean they don't know what they are talking about.