BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
SchlauCow
Rep
Drives: Honda M6

Depo P82 w/Angel Eyes Review

Bottom line: These are worth it, but more so if you have crappy stock halogen lights, for appearance only; if you want functionality, also get the HID kit. They still look pretty good overall.

Most of the pics were taken overcast/dawn times... The sun came out, but sporadically, which was the hardest time to see the angel eyes...

Chapter 1, Rationale.

I initially wanted these lights because of the cosmetic value -- they really do look much better than the stock halogens. I also purchased two upgrades: HID kit 4300k, and the LED angel eyes.

Chapter 2, Angel Eye Upgrade

The LED angel eye kit gives a very nice color in the early morning/night time, but daylight visibility is not the best (got it, 6000K). DO NOT think that these will be very bright in the day time, like the new BMW angel eyes... they are visible only to an extent, and the darker the environment the more visible...

Furthermore, the "dots" are still visible on each ring... this still creates the blob effect during darker times. (see pictures) The $99 price tag is steep... so I'd recommend you buy and install your own since the LEDs are nothing "special" or "custom" -- they're simply the 3SMD type LED lights you can find by doing a search for "T5 wedge bulb" on Amazon.com So, unless a special LED comes out, then I would not purchase the LED upgrade as a separate component. Save some cash. I believe the LEDs would be much better if the forward firing head was removed, leaving on the two side-firing heads...

Chapter 3, HID Upgrade

Worth the upgrade -- everyone should have HID/Xenon for safety sake. Legally, they have to be installed with the headlamp assembly, but of course, you can buy the HID conversion kit for cheaper on other web pages and install them afterward.

I am still having errors, even with the error canceling modules. Sometimes, only one light will start up; it's always the same light that will sometimes not start up... then I have to twist my headlight switch to off, then back on, then sometimes it starts up. Not sure what's going on here, but I will try a few other options... It's just a huge inconvenience to me that I have to troubleshoot this, considering my car is a brand new 2010 model and never had issues with headlamps before.

The ballast boxes are rather large compared to some other kits out there, so you will need to find a home for them in your engine bay somewhere. I wrapped mine in weather tape and electrical tape, then used double-sided tape to stick them on the inside engine bay area.

Chapter 4, Conclusion

I'm going to give these a week or so more. I am very annoyed with the bulb out malfunction errors. I'm also slightly bothered by the 'dots'/'blobs' in the rings... I honestly thought, by looking at some of the pics JLEVISW posted, that the blobs would not be an issue... MySpace angles are everywhere, gentlemen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
SchlauCow
Rep

Also, I am in contact with the folks here... I want more information on their headlights they're selling:

http://www.schmiedmann.com/1_series/...e1.htm#1935465
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
italiantank26
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
The blue LEDs don't look to bad in the daylight, not sure if it's worth the effort for me to take out my bumper and switch out the angel eyes
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiantank26 View Post
The blue LEDs don't look to bad in the daylight, not sure if it's worth the effort for me to take out my bumper and switch out the angel eyes
its only 1 hour job if you know how.
3-4 hours job if its first time.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
italiantank26
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sexion View Post
its only 1 hour job if you know how.
3-4 hours job if its first time.
I know how, done it a few times, just worried about the wear and tear on the bumper and screws from repeatedly taking off and putting back on.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

schlau bro can you do me a small favour, you have a good camera can you take just 2-3 photos closeup of the headlight/bumper area on the LEFT side (left when you're looking at the car front on)

I just wanna see how your headlight is where it meets the bumper and if you have any gap etc

much appreciated mateeee
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
SchlauCow
Rep

fatjoez, I'll try to get you a pic.

So, I swapped the error canceling modules from left to right, and I still get the bulb-out error on the left side headlamp. I don't have issues with the right headlamp... I'm beginning to wonder if I have a faulty HID on the left lamp... Thoughts anyone?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

How come is there so much glare from the passenger side headlamp in the first picture?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchlauCow View Post
fatjoez, I'll try to get you a pic.

So, I swapped the error canceling modules from left to right, and I still get the bulb-out error on the left side headlamp. I don't have issues with the right headlamp... I'm beginning to wonder if I have a faulty HID on the left lamp... Thoughts anyone?
Maybe try switching out HID bulbs and ballasts L to R. ? IF that can't be done... R&R that bumber cover and pull out the headlights... and then swap them L to R and see if you get the error codes? Or... have them send you some new "test" unit/replacement headlights.

I really get the feeling that no one has thought thru these "upgrades" in the aftermarket. By that I mean the venders.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 04:07 AM   #10
SchlauCow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Maybe try switching out HID bulbs and ballasts L to R. ? IF that can't be done... R&R that bumber cover and pull out the headlights... and then swap them L to R and see if you get the error codes? Or... have them send you some new "test" unit/replacement headlights.

I really get the feeling that no one has thought thru these "upgrades" in the aftermarket. By that I mean the venders.

Dack, I'm going to try and swap these and do that. What an inconvenience -- my time is important to me. I'm afraid that if it's the HID module, I'll get the wrong module sent to me as a replacement (or none at all!), lol! Or that the module will be sent, but not as a complete unit and I'll have to complain and wait for the other piece to be shipped.

I agree with you on thinking through. Vendors should not try to compromise quality in favor of making a quick buck. Vendors should take pictures of their products and be honest, too, but you rarely find clarity; it's like customers are the test subjects of vendors' mistakes or lack of planning. A good quality vendor is very hard to find... most of them remind me of cheap sweat shops, churning out cheap or compromised products, like WalMart or K-Mart.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 07:48 AM   #11
SchlauCow
Rep

Ok, so I wasted more of my personal time to fix this issue of the left bulb issue.

Here are some symptoms, perhaps some readers can assist.

1. Headlight switch is set to on, I start the car, and I instantly get a "Left parking lamp malfunction" error, usually followed by a "left lowbeam out" (something like that) error. I look at my left headlight, the angel eye rings are glowing but the low-beam is out.

2. I will then turn off my lights to '0' then wait a second, then switch them back to on. Sometimes the left HID turns back on and all the error messages go completely away. Sometimes I have to repeat #2 until the light turns on.

3. The left headlight has never turned off while the car was running.

4. I switched out the error cancelers, and the error persists with the same side.

My next step is to first and foremost waste more time, then I will swap out the ballast boxes to determine if the box is faulty. Once I do this, I will write back...

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Don't you just LOVE the wonderfull world of Aftermerket tuning parts! Somehow their meaning of "plug and play" is different from ours!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
SchlauCow
Rep

Yeah... for real. From now on, I'm only sticking to quality vendors... not cheap sweatshop ones!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 03:44 AM   #14
SquidwarD
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchlauCow View Post
Yeah... for real. From now on, I'm only sticking to quality vendors... not cheap sweatshop ones!
Any suggestions on "quality" venders, or who you prefer more? Also, anyone you feel I should stay away from because of quality, customer service, longevity of the products? I just picked up my new 128i and want to put quality parts on it if I'm spending the money they are asking.

Thanks-
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #15
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

How about a beam pattern and cutoff pic. I'm curious to see how these look. I love my car, but I hate the look of the OE halogen lights.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 04:24 PM   #16
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e90

update me bro whats the latest with your situation
did you resolve the errors etc
did you stick with the LEDs/headlight or what

I'm still considering the options

I've lined up 2 potential options

1. Find someone who can recode the computer to accept the new power levels with the LEDs

2. Install some more DaytimeLEDs off Ebay onto the bumper, connected to the headlights,
in the hopes that the increased power consumption offsets the reduction when switching from the halogen daytime bulbs to the LEDs
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 04:02 AM   #17
SchlauCow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatjoez View Post
update me bro whats the latest with your situation
did you resolve the errors etc
did you stick with the LEDs/headlight or what

I'm still considering the options

I've lined up 2 potential options

1. Find someone who can recode the computer to accept the new power levels with the LEDs

2. Install some more DaytimeLEDs off Ebay onto the bumper, connected to the headlights,
in the hopes that the increased power consumption offsets the reduction when switching from the halogen daytime bulbs to the LEDs

So, here's an update I'm still very bitter about. JLevi sent me a replacement ballast.. Well, the bulb actually fires up but I still get an error initially... then after a few seconds the error turns off. Here's the thing though, when BMW decides to turn my car on they're going to see this error and start snooping around. I never received this error in the right headlight assembly, only the left...

All in all, I really regret going this route... if I had to do it all over again:

-I'd buy the Depo projector housings from Schmiedmann or **********s without any upgrades.

-I'd buy separate T10 bulbs and ensure the bulbs don't have a forward firing light (so there's not 'dot' effect in the AE rings)

-I'd buy an MTEC error-free HID systems (this brand has the best reviews and isn't some generic box full of errors like what I received). I'd also get the correct color. I ordered 4500k from JLeviSW, and they gave me 6000k (surprise surprise).

-I'd install the HID kit in the Depo housings myself.

-I'd install the T10 bulbs myself

By doing this, I'd save a lot of time and money in the long run compared to what I went through with JLeviSW. These guys definitely made an enemy who will be around for a long time by the way they handled this and the BS I had to go through...I don't have all the time to tinker with... I have a life and I work long hours, so it's a huge inconvenience for me to constantly mess around and do all these diagnostic tests, take pictures of my ballasts, etc etc.

Here's a note for all of you potential BMW buyers: Get Xenons and do your research on companies... if there are more than a few threads of negative feedback, then your experience is likely to mirror that.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 04:14 AM   #18
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

SchlauCow,

Maybe you can have the BC coded to ignore the errors. That coding guy (Thorsten) might be able to do that. Plus he travels all over Germany in his 135i.

Give him a shout. www.car-coding.de mail@car-coding.de

I saw him code quite a few 1er's for the rear "black line" tail lights. To stop the errors AND to turn on the rear LEDs properly. Most of his fee's are cheap in the 12 to 14 euro range.

The only draw back is IF BMW makes a SW update these codes are written over back to stock. But he offers a free re-flash for up too one year. You just have to come to him or pay for his driving time @14euros per hour.

He can also make the AE brighter by increasing the voltage to them. Its makes the AE much more brighter then they normally are. We shall see how long the H8 bulbs last. But I am happy with my new AE with just some SW tweaking.

Dackel

Last edited by Dackelone; 11-12-2010 at 04:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #19
SchlauCow
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
SchlauCow,

Maybe you can have the BC coded to ignore the errors. That coding guy (Thorsten) might be able to do that. Plus he travels all over Germany in his 135i.

Give him a shout. www.car-coding.de mail@car-coding.de

I saw him code quite a few 1er's for the rear "black line" tail lights. To stop the errors AND to turn on the rear LEDs properly. Most of his fee's are cheap in the 12 to 14 euro range.

The only draw back is IF BMW makes a SW update these codes are written over back to stock. But he offers a free re-flash for up too one year. You just have to come to him or pay for his driving time @14euros per hour.

He can also make the AE brighter by increasing the voltage to them. Its makes the AE much more brighter then they normally are. We shall see how long the H8 bulbs last. But I am happy with my new AE with just some SW tweaking.

Dackel

Dack,
Thanks. I emailed him regarding my issues. I also asked if he could increase the voltage to make the T5 LEDs in my Depos brighter, or if that's only applicable to stock Xenons.

What do you mean by black line tail lights? I have those red lines that go through mine, is there something else cool I can do with that?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #20
SchlauCow
Rep

I also asked if he can code out the headlight corner lights... I hate when the corner lights remain on... Looks much nicer when they're only on when the blinkers are on
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #21
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

SchlauCow, any beam pattern and cutoff pics?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #22
SchlauCow
Rep

Looks kind of like this... I'll try to get some pics up when I get some time... but essentially it's the Euro style for beam pattern.

There's a very pronounced step in the pattern.
Appreciate 0