BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-02-2020, 08:54 PM   #1
ziazhp
Rep
Drives: '88 M6, '14 x1 35i, '06 M Road

Heated Set Failure

Hi Guys,
New 1er owner here and have read through many of the sub forums on heated seat issues, but can't seem to find one that matches mine.

The passenger heated seat button, when pressed, illuminates showing all three levels and then goes out. It does not stay on? This is a 2013 128i with 75k on it and very lightly used, I'd be surprised if the module has gone out already, unless BMW has gotten really cheap now. I've only owned E24s, E30s and E46s before, so this is the newest BMW I've owned. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 02:23 PM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Does it stay on at level one or two? Does the seat stay cold? Maybe check the connections under the seat, perhaps something has become disconnected. Check for a bad fuse.

1983 E21 Delphin, M10, 5 speed, LSD, MSW wheels, recaro seats, Hartge strut brace, rear sway bar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 10:01 PM   #3
Afam28
User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziazhp View Post
Hi Guys,
New 1er owner here and have read through many of the sub forums on heated seat issues, but can't seem to find one that matches mine.

The passenger heated seat button, when pressed, illuminates showing all three levels and then goes out. It does not stay on? This is a 2013 128i with 75k on it and very lightly used, I'd be surprised if the module has gone out already, unless BMW has gotten really cheap now. I've only owned E24s, E30s and E46s before, so this is the newest BMW I've owned. Any ideas?
Same with my car...
Took it to bmw when the issue first happened...
Needed a new module and coding...
Service advisor told me if it's not worth it then just leave it...
I live in Maryland and my car is garage kept, so I don't really "need" it honestly, just a luxury type of thing for me.
Passenger side seat works with a hiccup though lol...
(This of course is for the drivers seat, but I'm thinking it might be along the same lines with your passenger seat)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 10:05 PM   #4
Afam28
User
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afam28 View Post
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Same with my car...
I live in Maryland and my car is garage kept, so I don't really "need" it honestly, just a luxury type of thing for me.
(This of course is for the drivers seat, but I'm thinking it might be along the same lines with your passenger seat)
Also, i have a 2008 135i...
A lot older yes, but it might be the same issue...
Why not take it to BMW and let them diagnose it?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:18 AM   #5
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Same with my car...
What was the quoted cost to repair?
Here in Canuckland it is still a luxury but such a nice one and really helps keep you warm on frigid winter days.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:44 PM   #6
Afam28
User
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Same with my car...
What was the quoted cost to repair?
Here in Canuckland it is still a luxury but such a nice one and really helps keep you warm on frigid winter days.
Think it was around $2000.00...
It was pricey...
So the question was do i need it...
And the answer was no!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:50 PM   #7
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

There must be an acceptable alternative somewhere on this page.

<Amazon Link Removed>

Peace... Mack
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.

Last edited by mackeroni; 02-09-2020 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 01:03 PM   #8
mham99
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Coupe

Heated Seat Failure

Does anyone know where this heated seat module is? I have same issue, but with drivers seat. Passenger seat works fine but I rarely have a passenger, (my wife calls it the vomit comet) this is my commute and personal car. Was thinking for now I could swap passenger and driver connections??
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 11:55 AM   #9
cerealwars
Riffraff
Rep
Drives: 128i 6M, 1UZ S13, '62 C10

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I believe they are attached to the underside of the seat.

You'll want to disconnect your battery for 15 minutes or so before unplugging stuff so as not to trip any seat airbag codes.

Another option is to source one from a local junkyard, I'm willing to bet you could snag one from an E90. Looking at realoem, it appears the main differences between modules is whether the seats are power adjustable or not (and of course, heated vs non).
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2023, 07:20 PM   #10
JustAnotherSportsCar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i E88

Pretty sure the electric control box is bad under my driver seat, causing my heated seat to not work. When I hit the button, the lights illuminate, then go out. Then I see a fault code in my code reader.

My plan is to connected the good control box on the passenger seat to the driver seat to confirm the issue, then pick up a used box on eBay.

I also need to track down a continually occurring issue with the passenger seat airbag. I think the wiring is tangled with the seat back release mechanism, causing a fault code. Neither seats release mechanism works very smoothly.
Appreciate 0