BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-15-2023, 03:33 PM   #1
soldierhobo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

New to BMW world, some really simple (dumb) questions

Hello Hello, Master shade tree mechanic (MSTM). First BMW.

Anyhoo. I love the 128i, god I love this car. It is everything I've ever wanted in a car. Fast (enough), convertible, makes a cool sound. I just paid it off, so I have my first big repair scare.

I'm really certain you guys and youtube got me to the PCV valve. I pull EXTREMELY hard on the oil cap, and my whistling goes away. Thank you.

Now, PCV is embedded in the valve cover. Normally, I'd laugh at replacing a valve cover gasket sober, but this is a BMW. So, that Eccentric motor removal procedure? It as good as it looks or way more tricky, and just pay the man to do it? (I'm skipping the PCV only procedure, cause I have the money and the time)

Oil cover gasket. Seems like a rite of passage for a BMW owner, I'm not certain mine is leaking. Anyways, worth it just to do it? And do I need to remove coolant and oil to do it? (No one mentions this, but I like to keep the ground water clean, mostly) Seems like an interesting 5 minutes and excuse to buy some cool tools.

The dealer gave me a list of multiple 3K repairs. I wouldn't mind dropping one big bill, for the entire BMW experience. But maybe on something else...

Thanks in advance, anyone got a good BMW after market speaker guide or recommendation? This thing stock ain't bad, but I can't just throw Alpine type Rs at it, and call it a day. Custom or something drop fit, that is exceptional? I like my cruising music clear and loud.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 03:57 PM   #2
WrathOTM
Lieutenant
Rep

The valvetronic motor is easy to do, but you do need a program/obd2 scanner to put it into service mode to remove it. And there are bootleg dealer tools that can be found online.

With "oil cover gasket" I'm not sure if you are referring to the valve cover gasket or oil filter housing gasket.
The valve cover gasket isn't too bad to do, and you don't need to drain the coolant although I would recommend doing an oil change at the same time. You should also do the oil filter housing gasket asap, it is relatively easy to do and it is pretty important that it get changed before leaking too much oil onto the serpentine belt.

Do you have the cheap shitty six speaker stereo? If so you can retrofit the Harmon-Kardon one.
      11-15-2023, 04:02 PM   #3
soldierhobo
Registered
Rep

Thank you so much. Yeah I was not specific. The oil filter housing gasket. The one that sits with the Oil filter. Looks like it has 1 tricky bolt, but 4 bolts and a bit of cleaning and your done. (If you can pull that bolt without pulling the intake manifold).

I suppose for insurance, I could get a ODB2 scan tool and do it right. Besides, I can use it for many other things, as well! Right?

Yeah, I got the basic 6 speaker system. I could do the HK system or a BMW specific, but I'm leaning toward something more interesting. Probably will have to make it custom.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 05:26 PM   #4
Almuliman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 6MT 128i

A While-You're-In-There if you're doing the oil filter housing gasket: the "Mickey Mouse" flange. Not difficult in any case, good insurance, and easier to get to with the oil filter housing out.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 07:32 PM   #5
soldierhobo
Registered
Rep

Wow, I was just reading and watching a FCP Europe YT video and he said "Mickey Mouse gasket." The algorithm is sentient.

Yeah, he also drops oil and coolant. Which answers my question. Looks like a nice worthwhile next weekend project.

Shout out to FCP. Those guys have great videos and obviously a ton of love for BMW.
Appreciate 3
GoRomeo963.50
Almuliman483.50
mkeiser435.50
      11-15-2023, 10:42 PM   #6
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I'll also recommend replacing the Mickey mouse flange while you're in there. Mine crumbled apart as I was doing the oil filter housing job and I had to wait a couple days for an aluminum replacement to ship out before I could finish. I also broke some of the plastic clips/fittings on the radiator hose and expansion tank hose so it wouldn't be a terrible idea to replace those too, but maybe I'm just a troglodyte lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 07:51 AM   #7
Almuliman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerAg View Post
... I also broke some of the plastic clips/fittings on the radiator hose and expansion tank hose so it wouldn't be a terrible idea to replace those too, but maybe I'm just a troglodyte lol.
I did too, so at least there'll be two of us But, yeah, brittle plastic is another good while-you're-in-there.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 08:12 AM   #8
jdt10768
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i MSport 6MT

When you're doing that OFHG, if you do not know the history of your coolant - dump/flush/replace all coolant. If you have clean coolant, you can simply siphon 3 or 4" of coolant from the reservoir and replace it afterward. There are good how-to's here in DIY section. welcome
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 12:25 PM   #9
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

I always recommend joining BMWCCA and your member chapter is right there in Spokane. In the club you'll be able to met other BMW owners who also have 1 series cars. They can help by looking at your car/engine and give you an idea what might be very urgent. Also they will know the best BMW indy garages. Advice here is generally good but eyes can say what is urgent and what is not.
Appreciate 3
GoRomeo963.50
Almuliman483.50
Tuxedo1409.00
      11-18-2023, 09:09 AM   #10
Almuliman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I suspect your local chapter is in Seattle. Not that Spokane isn't nice enough, but, you know, 280 miles away and all.

https://bmw-club-psr.org
Appreciate 0